• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AOL Doom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used a zip archive repair tool to get access to the file inside the archive (aoldm.wad). I have about 1/6th of the file. I'm looking into getting files out of it, but I think a lot of the good stuff is towards the end of the wad file. I think I'll write a program to rip files from a broken wad file, and maybe get a few textures to play with. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Right now I'm downloading a wad collection via torrent. I doubt it has AOLDoom, but it's worth a shot. If anyone wants to help, send me links to big wad collections and I'll download them.

By the way the guy who made AOLDoom has a website:
http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/

He doesn't have a copy, but if anyone wants to beg him to keep looking there is contact information. I'm going to find this thing, one way or another.

Archive.org has nothing useful on this file. The file they have is equally as corrupt, I assume.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014012...gelfire.com/vamp2/bummunism/other/Aoldm15.zip

I used a zip file repair program as well. A quick run through did generate a file called aoldm.wad but the file is corrupt and won't unzip.

Give this a download and install, point it to the bad zip file, and you get another zip file with the wad inside. This gives some details but no usable file. (In other words, I said all this bit to tell you about the zip file repair program in case anybody else needs to repair a bad zip file).

http://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/

The zip file claims that the wad is dated Dec 14, 1996 at 12:16 AM and should be 4.34 MB. The file name is aoldm.wad. I don't think that information will help all that much but you never know.

The compressed file size is about 1.5MB. No way that 256kiB .zip file is complete.

I had a Doom book or two back in the day. They came with a CD that contained various programs to use to create or modify a .wad, as well as example .wads and conversions. I don't think either one had AOL Doom though, as the only memory I have of it was from a description from a friend who had it.

I used to create and edit those .wad files back in '95... :)

No clue where this one is, but... brings back memories!

I would definitely be interested in this if it can be found, I think I may have played this variant back in the day.

ancient thread is ancient! I think I gave OP a video card at one time. #OldSchool

Yeah, I think you did like 10 years ago, lol. I used it to determine that my AGP slot wasn't working. Thanks!

So I made some progress on the .wad file, but it's not too promising. The portion of the file I have contains most of the level files (which are the same as original Doom). I was able to reconstruct part of the file list... So far the only files that differ from original Doom are the demo files. I can't tell where they start and end, so I don't think I can play them just yet. Was really hoping to get some textures. I'll post again if I find anything else.

Yeah, I think you did like 10 years ago, lol. I used it to determine that my AGP slot wasn't working. Thanks!

So I made some progress on the .wad file, but it's not too promising. The portion of the file I have contains most of the level files (which are the same as original Doom). I was able to reconstruct part of the file list... So far the only files that differ from original Doom are the demo files. I can't tell where they start and end, so I don't think I can play them just yet. Was really hoping to get some textures. I'll post again if I find anything else.

That fact that you can read the files is already amazing!

You are putting in a lot of effort here, +1 for that :cheers:

I hope that we can find a non-corrupted version, or at least merge the corrupted files with good ones and hope for the best.

I saw you already had a thread here but post in this thread and they seem to be pretty good at finding old WADs
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60282-the-official-trying-to-find-a-specific-wad-thread/13/

I have played what your talking about but I know I don't have it because the drive it was on (a WD Caviar) totally ate a read head out of the blue and **** out on me. even if the read heads were replaced the data would be gone since it gouged major tracks into the platters. I still have the drive, it amazez me how much damage was done in a short amount of time out of no where

Back