• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying From Craigslist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

What precautions do you take when buying hardware from Craigslist? I'm considering buying a rig from someone, but I want to make sure all the hardware is working properly. What programs can I run to test everything? What should I look for to make sure I'm not going to get a sour deal?

3dmark06, 3dmark vantage, and 3dmark11 are all good general stress tests to test out a system. They will test the video thoroughly, and the cpu pretty intensely. There are no other real all in one test besides pcmark, but that requires certain programs to run and is not just a quick install and run kind of program most of the time. When I have bought computer hardware from craigslist I either go to their house and see it working or have them come to mine to test it out. I hope this helps you out.

Precautions?

I always carry this when going to a meet...

P1190703.jpg

That's my main concern.

Haha ^ . I take a big knife and a friend with a big knife =). Anyway, he scored a pcmark vantage of 9978 which seems pretty low for his 560ti computer with his claimed i7 2600. doesn't it?

Emailed him, told him to close all programs do a virus scan and run it again. I have a bad feeling about this deal =p.

Last edited:
Sounds like the score is right to me with it being pcmark vantage and not 3dmark vantage.
Different card but similar performance
http://hwbot.org/submission/2289872_sashqaee_pcmark_vantage_core_i7_2600k_11010_marks
Performance difference of cards
http://www.hwcompare.com/11166/geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-vs-radeon-hd-6950/
Factoring for different cards and different overclocks, I would say the score is perfectly fine.

huh... I could have sworn I saw very different average scores for that gfx card range. It must have been late :confused:

Thanks!

Moved, this is a hardware question, not general discussion

Yeah, I couldn't decide where to put it, so I asked one of the mods (forget who, and I don't want to get anyone in trouble anyway) and they told me general discussion, so idk...

The main precaution I would take is twofold:

1) At least one other dude with you. Preferably large.
2) Meet at his house. Then everybody knows that you know where to find him if you have issues.

^ good advice right there...

That said though, I've done at least 30 craigslist exchanges (with no pc hardware stuff) and the majority of people you meet are pretty nice and down to earth. I've only ever met one goofball (but boy was he a goofball).

Back