• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Know anybody who needs 380,000 more members folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Gabriel Murphy has answered the questions of modenaf1 and Cjwinnit in this thread:

Gabriel Murphy said:
Sorry I dropped the ball on this, and thanks for posting in here so that I got e-mailed! :)

Ok, regarding folding, and suggesting it on our other forums.

I would prefer to keep all folding local to OC-Forums.com, as it best fits this community. Feel free to make posts concerning folding on programmingtalk.com and webhostingtalk.com, dbforums.com. We have just acquired 3 more forums, and I will include them on the list here on Monday, once these communities are made aware of the iNET acquisition.

Regarding webhostingtalk.com, make sure you read their rules, and make the post in the appropriate place (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8).

Once these posts are made, I will make these posts sticky so everyone can make sure to have read it as well :)

BEFORE you do this, I would make sure the concept of "folding" is clearly articulated in a thread, so everyone understands the benefit of participation :)

Finally, In our December letter, which will be sent out to approximately 380,000 registered members of our various forums, as well as HotScripts.com, we will make mention of the "iNET Folding Team" on OC-Forums.com. I will post this portion of our newsletter here for your review and critique.

Let me know if this all makes sense, or if you have any questions or concerns!

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&action=showpost&postid=2287804

I just read it, sound like great news there, now lets hope we can even get a small potion of them folding, because that would be sweet!

When he is talking about iNET folding team does he means separate team or subteam for us ?

So will we get peeps or ?

He means he will refer to our folding team with a name everyone is familiar with, but if anyone wants to sign up they will be folding for team 32.

this is really good news for the new" inet folding" team 32 and for folding in general. to be honest i didnt think inet cared about folding one way or another. these guys amazed me again with the post above.

OK guys brush up on your folding knowledge and get ready to answer tons of newb questions. Looks like Dec is going to be a banner month for team 32 newbies.

Now that it's getting cooler out, and the AC is long out of the window, I have started ramping my production up again....

That's small potatoes if we can get a portion of these people under the Team 32 umbrella though. :eek:

Boost forward? More like a rocket propelled shove. :eek: :cool: :D

Good news indeed, for the "hometown team". :thup:

Fold ON!

B.

Well, I got the ball rolling.

First piece of handywork Here at yaXay
Second piece of handywork Here at Programmingtalk
Strike Three - The jackpot (I hope) Here at Webhostingtalk

For those who can't see it, here is the transcrpit. Critique at will.

First off, hi, i'm Cjwinnit (duh). I'm a general forum bod who hangs out a lot here.

Recently our forum got bought out by iNET interactive and this gave us an interesting new userbase, you. A bunch of us on the overclockers forum run a Distributed Computing project client on our computers called Folding@Home, and we would like to tell you what it is through a good old forum Q&A :)

What is folding?

Folding is a Biology experiment investigating how proteins behave. We model this on computers to see how they "mis-fold".

This is the homepage of the project, run by a group at Stanford University. 800 people on this forum do it as a team for overclockers.com. If you decide to do it please feel free to bother us with questions.

We have a sub-forum devoted to the cause here. We have been doing this for a few years now and have built up a lot of experience.

Why bother folding?

"The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease."

(Credit to Stanford's folding site)

Where did you say you were from again?

Ocforums is a computing forum owned by iNET.

Does it slow my computer down?

No.

It is designed to use only spare cycles and i've never noticed the difference having the client paused or running. LOTS of benchmarks by lots of forums and websites show the effect of the client on other processes is almost zero.

Why fold for your team?

Best answered by Gabriel Murphy here. I quote:

Gabriel Murphy said:

I would prefer to keep all folding local to OC-Forums.com, as it best fits this community.

Once these posts are made, I will make these posts sticky so everyone can make sure to have read it as well :)

BEFORE you do this, I would make sure the concept of "folding" is clearly articulated in a thread, so everyone understands the benefit of participation :)

Finally, In our December letter, which will be sent out to approximately 380,000 registered members of our various forums, as well as HotScripts.com, we will make mention of the "iNET Folding Team" on OC-Forums.com. I will post this portion of our newsletter here for your review and critique.

So Ocforums is a computer geek hangout. Welcoming at all?

We love new members (not too much though ;)). One of the catchphrases there is "Welcome To The Forums!" which sums it up a lot. We would love for you to visit :)

Put it another way, the New Members Post Here... thread in the Folding Team has 1,295 posts and 20,099 views

Any competitive aspect to folding?

Lots. People get points for sending completed work units which are tallied up within a team. Teams are on one master leaderboard. Overclockers is third in the world and we want our top spot back!

How do I set it up?

• Download and install the client (link at the bottom of this post).
  • Where it asks for Team Number put 32.
  • Add whatever username you feel appropriate. I use my forum name.

That's it! Like all programs there are tweaks you can do, ask in the thread or search the Folding Team at ocforums.

I'm stuck/Any other questions

If you have any questions feel free to ask me or any ocforums folder, we act as a team and have an excellent community spirit. Personally, i'm on Ocforums a fair bit and reply to PM's there quickly. I will be here a lot too I think :)

Links
Ocforums
Ocforums Folding Team
Folding homepage
Folding client, straight from Stanford

Last edited:
Chris said:
Has the one at webhostingtalk been deleted its not in there general chat and the link is not found. :(

Yes, It got deleted.

I recieved this PM:

SoftWareRevue wrote on 11-22-2003 09:58 AM:
Hello Cjwinnit,

Your thread was removed as it did not comply with Forum Rules.

Please be sure to review the rules. If you need help understanding them, ask any Commuity Leader.

Thanks,

Dennis

Regards,

SoftWareRevue
WebHostingTalk Community Leader
www.WebHostingTalk.com

I'll fight this one. My basic argument will be:

Gabriel Murphy said:

I would prefer to keep all folding local to OC-Forums.com, as it best fits this community. Feel free to make posts concerning folding on programmingtalk.com and webhostingtalk.com, dbforums.com. We have just acquired 3 more forums, and I will include them on the list here on Monday, once these communities are made aware of the iNET acquisition.

Regarding webhostingtalk.com, make sure you read their rules, and make the post in the appropriate place (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8).

Aargh, I got boned by the Webhostingtalk rules. I asked the guy who moved the thread but without much help.

I think it's this one:

"Participants may not use the Forum to solicit users for any project or purpose external to the Forum; public, private, or commercial. Most importantly our member base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Further; If you SPAM our members in any manner, your account will be disabled."

Any way around this?

Dunno:

"This forum is for web-hosting related offers (e.g. website template for sale, domains for sale, web-related services to be offered, etc.) and web-hosting related requests (e.g. need 2 Plesk licenses, site design wanted, etc.), not for simply promoting websites such as web hosting forums, web hosting directories, webmaster sites, etc.

Please use this forum only to buy and sell web-hosting related services and products only.
This forum is not a free-for-all links page or a directory."

Hmm...that is interesting..oh ya, and if we ever do find a place to post it, do NOT link someone to the advertising forum thread by the normal forums :D

Maybe PM a mod and ask them? Or just reply to the guy who deleted you thread?

Good luck man.
Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back