• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your old / "vintage" OC gears here !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shameless bump ! :D

C'mon guys, espcially you have a nice camera for some close shot of those antiquated OC gear of yours.

I have 386s, 5 1/4 drives and bnc cable at work...

We call Pentium3 owners liked, and P4 owners blessed.

Pentium 1, 2 and Celeron are the norm.

Seriously, I'm running out of room. I have too much of this stuff.

Stevelord do you happen to have a bnc to rca cable? I'm in need of one

Well, as the title said, an "OC-ing" gear, not just old computer parts/stuff ! :)

Last edited:
Lol heat sinks aren't old. I was building computers before people used heat sinks on their CPU's. (They weren't needed until the Pentium line came out.) I remember the days of the 8088, 80286, and 80386 quite well.

Now you know why I never buy big tube of thermal goop anymore, still got 2 full tubes here. :confused:
Latest AS 5 and it's grand-grand father from 1st generation, hand packaged & sent by Nevin Hause him self. (PS: Nevin is the Arctic Silver founder)
I bought a tube of silver thermal goop from OCZ and I've been using it for more than 5 years now I think. I've seated probably 40-50+ cpu's and done a bunch of north bridge mods/replacements/repairs. People put so much thermal goop on when all you need is the tiniest amount. More actually lowers your thermal dissipation rate. People put it on with a trowel.

my main rig uses a maxtor 80 gig IDE for storage
The rig with the largest HD for me is 80 GB. I have some that are in the 12GB range. I use a fileserver for all storage (media, docs, etc), so I can't even come close to filling an 80. I have one system with an 80, and 40 gb is still unpartitioned, and the 40gb I do have is maybe 25% full.

well.. no pic, but i haven't visited or posted here in 3 years and the gear in my sig is turning vintage.. kinda.
Dude, C2D 6600 w/ Geforce 8800GTS is NOT vintage.

I have 386s, 5 1/4 drives and bnc cable at work...
I still have a 5.25" drive. I've thought about hooking it up for kicks, but I have no more 5.25" disks. My dad used to use 8" disks... anyone else remember those? Or even further back, he used to use punch cards (stacks of cards with holes in them that were used before magnetic media). My sister and I at the time were little and we used to shuffle them and play with them. God did he hate that. Then he'd have to sort the entire stack and hope we hadn't chewed on any... lol.

We call Pentium3 owners liked, and P4 owners blessed.

Pentium 1, 2 and Celeron are the norm.

Dude, what kind of place do you work where P1's are still in common use? P3's I can understand... but P1's?!?!?

Last edited:
A while ago I found 2 8MB sticks of 40ns EDO RAM that had heat speaders on them! I hadn't bought it back in the day, I found it in a big box of stuff I picked up about 6-7 years ago.

You guys are so out of your league. I'm holding in my hand a Genuine Intel 80386-DX 16 mhz and a 387 coprocessor as well! I also have a 300 mb hard drive here and a 5.25 inch floppy. How about a 512 KB totally unacccelerated vga card (ISA)? I have several old SB16 cards too...

I also have a box in front of me with DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (original disks, and they still work actually).

I really should throw more stuff out...

O_O. Nice! Just curious, how much did you buy that for? I am thinking along the lines of 12 thousand.

Btw, What's a coprocessor?

O_O. Nice! Just curious, how much did you buy that for? I am thinking along the lines of 12 thousand.

Btw, What's a coprocessor?

It used to be 5k+ for a 386DX system. Hard to imagine paying that now for any computer short of a server.

The original Intel cpu's did not have the ability to do floating point math in hardware, so it was emulated. You could add in this ability by adding a coprocessor. For the 8086, it was an 8087, for the 80286, it was an 80287, etc. The 80486 DX was the first cpu by intel with an on die coprocessor. They sold 486 SX chips which were basically 486's w/o coprocessors. Then you could add a 487, but unlike the previous chips, it didn't work as an adjunct to the cpu, it just replaced it (it was basically a 486DX with a different socket).

Doing floating point math was VERY slow on the old PC's. Coprocessors were rare pre-486 and generally used only by people who did a lot of mathematical/scientific work, cad/cam, etc.

It used to be 5k+ for a 386DX system. Hard to imagine paying that now for any computer short of a server.

The original Intel cpu's did not have the ability to do floating point math in hardware, so it was emulated. You could add in this ability by adding a coprocessor. For the 8086, it was an 8087, for the 80286, it was an 80287, etc. The 80486 DX was the first cpu by intel with an on die coprocessor. They sold 486 SX chips which were basically 486's w/o coprocessors. Then you could add a 487, but unlike the previous chips, it didn't work as an adjunct to the cpu, it just replaced it (it was basically a 486DX with a different socket).

Doing floating point math was VERY slow on the old PC's. Coprocessors were rare pre-486 and generally used only by people who did a lot of mathematical/scientific work, cad/cam, etc.

I don't suppose you have cache chips? just curious

You guys are so out of your league. I'm holding in my hand a Genuine Intel 80386-DX 16 mhz and a 387 coprocessor as well! I also have a 300 mb hard drive here and a 5.25 inch floppy. How about a 512 KB totally unacccelerated vga card (ISA)? I have several old SB16 cards too...

I also have a box in front of me with DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (original disks, and they still work actually).

I really should throw more stuff out...

Its "VINTAGE OC" gears, not just old gears. :D

Out of league ? Geezz.. want me to take the shot of the beast called "Winchester Drive" ? :D or 80286, or even 8088 and it's the super 8088 clone that is came with overclocked from factory at chip level called NEC V20 !

Throw out ? Please no, just put in the classified ! :)

In those old days there was no built in cache memory, mostly used external cache called SRAM and it was actually chip that can be install/uninstall, and on some certain models of mobo, they're came as optional part since they provide the sram chip sockets ! :)

Last edited:
Well since this had become more of a discussion and less about people doing what was actually asked in the first place..... When I get home, I'll edit this post to actually include what the OP asked for in the first place ;)

Pic(s) incoming Bing :beer:

Nope, I no longer have parts to make a full system older than a P1.

I remember when the first cache computers came out (386 era) and how the benchmarks showed such a dramatic speed increase.

SRAM = static ram?
We use dynamic ones right?

What types of RAMs are there?

I believe it's basically sram and dram. Before that I think you're talking about tubes and other ancient technology.

Back