• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden Multi-Failing USB Ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

My current system was built in May of 2012 and has been rock solid until now.

I have had 4 out of 6 USB ports fail on me in less than 48 hours. I can't scan, can't print and the only two that are working I have both my mouse and keyboard in them because I had to transfer them yesterday from the ports that they were connected to for almost 2 years. My printer was working fine yesterday and then that port failed today. I have tried booting and rebooting to no avail.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. I will work to resolve this but in the meantime if anyone can recommend to me a good solid Z77 board I'd appreciate it because if the last two ports go I won't be able to use my keyboard or mouse and then I'll have some real grief to deal with.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

If you don't want to buy a new board, maybe a pci to usb would be something to look into.

If the working USB connectors are usb3, you can easily run 10 usb 2 devices off a splitter. I run 7 without a problem (usb3 is technically 10x faster than 2..)

I would suggest maybe boot a live distro of some os, to confirm that the USB's went bad..

If you confirm they are bad, then I feel like you maybe drawing too much power / something is problematic for some reason (it not regulating voltage -> causing caps to blow for USB's)

If they are not bad, maybe it is a driver issue. Uninstall the drives and reinstall usb drivers from manufacturer's website. Or a reinstall of Windows should do it if it a reg issue for some reason.

+1... PCIe/PCI to USB should get the ports back.

You can also try reinstalling the USB drivers for all the controllers and see if that works.

Did you troubleshoot anything outside of rebooting?

That board should have a 3-year warranty, I would go that route if the driver reinstall doesn't work.

Thanks for the responses; it is much appreciated. I have been working with Gigabyte support and here is what I have done so far as per their instructions:

1. Using Keyboard un BIOS: USB 3.0 ports failed (except the two that I mentioned that were still working).

2. Same thing as #1 but in Safe Mode: Same results.

* I also burned Linux Mint to DVD and repeated the process and the four 3.0 still would not work.

Update: Even before I had a chance to tell Support about the port failure under Mint they issued me an RMA which I should be getting in two business days.. Again, thanks for your responses.

Last edited:
Back