• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need HTPC or Media server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sigh99

I am looking to build or buy a PC that i can keep on my server rack in my basement but use my bedroom TV as a secondary monitor. I also want to store all my media on this PC that i can access from my network. My main reason for even thinking of this is as of now my Google TV and Boxee Box are disappointing me with their need for Flash updates that may never come and the lack of a decent HBOGO app on either. I currently use Netflix and HULU plus for most of my content but I want to look into a tuner and an antenna to get OTA channels. So I guess my question is what way do I go? Should I just build a PC with a tuner and HD output, I dont think I need a dedicated media server but maybe something more than a HTPC.. And do I need a newer faster computer or should I try to put something together with the spare parts I have from old CCTV recording PCs with Pentium 4 processors? really any guidance anyone can offer would be great...

fwiw mine ran on a core 2 duo with 2gb of ram was able to record shows just fine and stream stuff over the network fine as well. it really doesnt take much for a htpc at all. the same c2d is running now streaming 6-13gb 1080p from my server just fine :)

I don't think a Pentium 4 could cope with HD, but you can build something with little budget. My HTPC is an Athlon II X2 @2.9Ghz and it operates with a Radeon HD4200 integrated GPU. Renders anything I throw at it just fine with very little noise in the living room. As wagex said, you need very little computing power by modern standards to stream and play video.

Thank you both for the input that makes things a lot easier, Im glad to hear I wont need to buy a $1000 I5.

I have a 2 HTPC's in the house with Media Browser (Works great) I also have a Boxee Box that's simple to use works mostly ok but is slow and seems to freeze up while not in use. I just setup Plex media Server as a replacement to Orb caster and I have to say the roku 3 is damn impressive so far.

As long as it is a dual core and within 4-5 years old it will work. Having that small HD proven GPU helps too. Lower wattage the better! You want cool, quiet and energy efficient.

I built an HTPC with an ASUS AT3IONT-I motherboard for my living room running XBMC.With 1GB RAM and up to 1080p it was totally sufficient (using HDMI output). This board is unfortunately not available anymore, however, my point is that the Atom 330 with the Nvidia ION Graphics was just good enough for full HD. Today you will find other motherboard/cpu combos that should be more powerful and work great as an HTPC. You really don't need to spend too much money for a decent HTPC build.

Personally, my only concern is noise. It can be especially annoying when you also use your HTPC for music. The Asus MB/CPU combo was fanless, but today I cannot seem to find a fanless MB/CPU combo with HDMI anymore. But if you can keep your HTPC in the basement, this should not be an issue.

Regarding your point to use the same computer to stream media around the entire house--I did that for a while with a dedicated "headless" server in the basement, that was built from old spare-parts, also Pentium 4. It had a RAID-5 etc., all worked well until I had some hard disk issues. I build a new server with a SuperMicro barebone Server with Xeon processor. The difference in transfer speeds was phenomenal. Finally all the CAT-6 gigabit wiring paid off... so keep that in mind when you want to recycle your Pentium 4 era hardware.

Back