• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Where can I buy a *LEGAL* copy of Windows XP 32-bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

My mother has an old Dell that suits her purposes, but her copy of Windows (XP Pro) is starting to have issues. After sitting for an hour or two, things start to screw up. The speed reduces, the interface doesn't draw or respond correct, etc. I would just reinstall Windows, but she doesn't have the disks.

NewEgg only lists Windows 7, which I understand since Microsoft stated they will no longer offer XP, but there has to be a way. I don't want to touch eBay as I am not certain of what I will get. I definitely want a legal copy!

Any ideas?

Thanks for the link. I filled it out, but I would still like a purchase location should that fail.

cant help you there. I haven't paid for an OS since I bought 2000. Lucky to know few MS employees.

Have you tried a registry repair program? See if that cleans up her issues.

you don't really need to purchase another copy, as you've already purchased an authentication key. not much sense in buying another key. The key is labeled plainly on all dell computers on a sticker on the side panel.

You can use any XP pro cd in the world to install it, using the key you've purchased already. I would think about that before you go buy another one. Beg, borrow, etc.

you don't really need to purchase another copy, as you've already purchased an authentication key. not much sense in buying another key. The key is labeled plainly on all dell computers on a sticker on the side panel.

You can use any XP pro cd in the world to install it, using the key you've purchased already. I would think about that before you go buy another one. Beg, borrow, etc.

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest as well. :attn:

Not quite - XP was the final era of the crappy version-ed CD/DVD's.
You'll need a Windows XP OEM Disc for that one. (VISTA and beyond provides all on one disc and use ei.cfg to determine which version to install)

This is a dell xp professional iso slipstreamed with sp3. It can be used to install windows on dell machines with the oem sticker and activate without problems.

type your authentication key in off of your sticker and vrooooom

I was thinking and it may not be Windows. The computer has 512 MB RAM and integrated graphics. I am going to be upgrading both in the coming weeks, so I may see a difference. I'm going to bump the RAM to 4GB and add an AGP graphics card.

stompah, I got an email from Dell almost immediately. They can't supply the disks for free since the warranty expired in 2007, but it will only cost me $11 + shipping. Hmmm....

Thats the way to go! I doubt you will be able to find a copy of XP for so cheap. Plus it will be 100% legit.

Start searching the classifieds for that RAM & video card. Also check out Frys, they will have a great deal on an AGP video card after rebate about once a month.

XP Pro OEM , retail wont work.

no point in 4G of ram if using XP and 32bit, 2G would probably be fine since DDR2 ram is more expensive now.

Yeah, I looked in the For Sale forums and found what I needed for less than $50. Now I just need the money...

It is possible with windows xp to make an install disk from an already installed OS. I i wanted an xp home disk for my laptop because it came with a bloatware filled restore cd and i successfully made a usable, bootable xp home cd out of the i386 folder on my laptop.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Is how i did it. FWIW my i386 folder was not exactly as he described, and according to that article it shouldnt have worked, but it did, mabye it will for you as well.

You already have the license.

Can't find anyone with a WinXP ISO or a CD?

Someone else suggested this and their post was edited, so I'm not too sure how I should answer...

It is possible with windows xp to make an install disk from an already installed OS. I i wanted an xp home disk for my laptop because it came with a bloatware filled restore cd and i successfully made a usable, bootable xp home cd out of the i386 folder on my laptop.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

Is how i did it. FWIW my i386 folder was not exactly as he described, and according to that article it shouldnt have worked, but it did, mabye it will for you as well.

That would be nice, except for two things... No i386 folder and the CD drive is read only. :rolleyes: I seriously forgot about computers with such limitations.

Back