• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus eee-pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol no-one mentioned overclocking one. SetFsb got mine up from the stock 630Mhz (70fsb) to 900Mhz (100fsb), although the cpu is rated at 900 anyways just that the bios doesnt support it. Think I need some 800mhz ddr2 to get it above 900 though (ive not pushed it any further, gets pretty warm:p )

To all those who insist on comparing these to regular $400-$500 laptops.

The big difference is this is SMALLER. In laptops, SMALLER = MORE EXPENSIVE. Try to config a 12'' laptop on Dell and you'll be paying $1200+. Your $400 laptops have big heavy 15'' screens with the most useless version of Vista.

And by the way, these are down to $349..and thats for the newer black one which was costing over $400 initially.

Xmas gift for the wife taken care of.

I just wish I could find one in a store so I could actually put my hands on it before I bought it.
I would like to see how rough typing on the little keyboard is gonna be.

lol no-one mentioned overclocking one. SetFsb got mine up from the stock 630Mhz (70fsb) to 900Mhz (100fsb), although the cpu is rated at 900 anyways just that the bios doesnt support it. Think I need some 800mhz ddr2 to get it above 900 though (ive not pushed it any further, gets pretty warm:p )

does it have two so-dimm slots?

You should max out the ram to 2gigs of ddr 667. Then increase fsb to 133 x 9 = 1.2ghz. LOL

(although in reality, i doubt you'll be able to fully utilize 2 gigs of ram with a cpu based on netburst and only chugging along at 1.2ghz)

They show Windows XP as an upgrade for this lil guy. So does that mean one could install XP to a separate flash card and use both OS's???? Very interesting.

does it have two so-dimm slots?

You should max out the ram to 2gigs of ddr 667. Then increase fsb to 133 x 9 = 1.2ghz. LOL

(although in reality, i doubt you'll be able to fully utilize 2 gigs of ram with a cpu based on netburst and only chugging along at 1.2ghz)

It has one so-dimm slot however once you open it, you void the warrenty

It has one so-dimm slot however once you open it, you void the warrenty

Upgrading the RAM voids the warranty? :confused:

That's real nasty...

As for overclocking, how warm is it getting? Use speedfan! Grab some large fans and see how high it goes! I bet you that CPU would go really far...but I'd be concerned about the PCI slots not being locked.

2Gb of ram would be overkill:p, although the cpu is a dothan celeron m. Havent pushed it any further than 900Mhz, i dont want to kill it (yet:p). Typing on the keyboard is a bit difficult, cant touch type particularly well on it. I'm not sure the RAM dividers are working correctly when setting it to 900Mhz. The RAM might be going at 800Mhz (and is rated at 667) but has been stable for me, pushing it any further and 800mhz 2gb might not be so bad , do they still cost a fortune for 2gb single sticks?

If this thing was around 250$ I might consider it, otherwise I will stick to my trusty IBM X30. More storage and the same performance, just bigger.

I'm in rip-off Britain, in dollars its about $500 i paid:p - still, its cheap for an ultra-portable. I looked at a getting an IBM but didn't trust a used model.

Back