• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm strange.

However, can I now raise cpuNB , HT Link from 1600 mhz? maybe to 1800mhz
to gain performace and call it a succesful overclock?

Ok thx!
I have one question though. when you raise the CPU Ref the HT-Link also rises and goes over 2000mhz and NB too, is this bad? how to cope?

one question about ram too please, could it be that i have ram with max mhz spec 1333 but 1666 overclock spec? (I hope you know what i mean)
So that the ram mhz can go over 1333 with ease..?

EDIT: I guess the attribute im referring to is found in the mobo because in asus homepage it says the mobo suports: "DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory"

thx!

Last edited:
Running the HT Link much higher than 2000 MHz may or may not be bad. Some CPU's like it (in fact, the X6's seem to love it) and others don't. Running a cpuNB higher than 2000 MHz is often needed for stability at high CPU speeds. In either case it doesn't hurt the computer to try it - it's voltage/heat that kills things, not speed.

Your SPD tab does not indicate any speed higher than 685 MHz. Some manufacturers are cheap about this and do not load the "over-clocked" specs into the SPD tables but I don't remember Kingston being one of them. There should be stickers on the sides of the RAM sticks indicating the max speed and timings.

Running the HT Link much higher than 2000 MHz may or may not be bad. Some CPU's like it (in fact, the X6's seem to love it) and others don't. Running a cpuNB higher than 2000 MHz is often needed for stability at high CPU speeds. In either case it doesn't hurt the computer to try it - it's voltage/heat that kills things, not speed.

Your SPD tab does not indicate any speed higher than 685 MHz. Some manufacturers are cheap about this and do not load the "over-clocked" specs into the SPD tables but I don't remember Kingston being one of them. There should be stickers on the sides of the RAM sticks indicating the max speed and timings.

Ok so i should just keep RAM below 1333.

So regarding voltages when PC becomes unstable how do you know which voltage to raise is it always the Vcore or you need to tweak NB voltage as well?

Seems like i hit limit again. I changed CPU ref from 222 to 225 and now I got prime95 error at 46c ...
its certainly different from blue screen so what should i do?

thx for the help! :)

Btw when i reset the settings in bios and hit save & exit the computer has couple of times shutsdown.. and started after few secs! whats up with that?

Last edited:
Hello I'm still wondering how to proceed, could someone help please :)

should i just raise Vcore or NB-voltage and whats math behind knowing how high the voltages need to be? I have so far found no explanation on this.

I was thinking that maybe 10% NB voltage raise with 10% NB mhz raise, sounds very logical to me and same with CPU?

thx

You start out with average voltages, 1.35 vCore and the right cpuNB VID for your CPU, then add voltage only as needed when an increase in speed becomes unstable IF YOUR LOAD CORE TEMP ISN'T TOO HIGH. I am a bit confused about that. Several posts up you indicated you were at 60+ load core temp and now you're saying it's 46. :confused: :shrug:
It's nothing personal on my part, I won't be replacing hardware if what you do kills it, but if your load core temps really are over 55 then you shouldn't increase your voltages.

There is little to no math involved with overclocking, it's all experimental. If you're looking for rough values from experimental data then check out Dolk's Guide, which is one of the best guides I know of for Phenoms, if that's what you have. (I'm not even sure what system you have without chasing this thread 49 posts to the top, since you don't have that information in your signature. :-/ You can change your signature by clicking the "quick link" menu near the top of the page and selecting "Edit Signature".)

Ok so i will be going to error and trial rising voltages as i raise mhz of NB and CPU.

my CPU is athlon II x4, btw

right now im just testing overclocking and i wont let temps go over 55c... i may got the cooling work bit beter so it should stay at decent level while testing in prime, i will test temps with the ccp later if the overclock is otherwise succesful.

thx :)

hi again!
i bought new CPU FAN and Im back overclocking again. I have so far gotten to 230 mhz FSB with Vcore 1.41 ~
is that high vcore "normal"?

EDIT: the vcore seems to run at 1.44 despite bios setting, guess it got clamped to little higher? :eek:

strange thing im experienceing with CPU-z is that it shows the vCore always little lower , in this case something like 1.39 ~

thx

EDIT: temps pretty high 50 c ...

Last edited:
hi again!
i bought new CPU FAN and Im back overclocking again. I have so far gotten to 230 mhz FSB with Vcore 1.41 ~
is that high vcore "normal"?

EDIT: the vcore seems to run at 1.44 despite bios setting, guess it got clamped to little higher? :eek:

strange thing im experienceing with CPU-z is that it shows the vCore always little lower , in this case something like 1.39 ~

thx

EDIT: temps pretty high 50 c ...

That means your board isn't perfect at voltage management, which is not surprising as it is rare that the voltage comes in as exactly what you specify.

1.39 seems reasonable, that's actually quite good as it is very close to what you had set it as in your bios, and that's only .0152 percent off from the voltage you set it at.

There is almost always some voltage droop, and you're lucky in that in your case it appears to be a very low amount of droop below the setting.

Last edited:
Cool thanks Tech Tweaker I believe the manual did say that will happen. Sometimes it goes bit up sometimes bit down.

Currently the overclock is:
Mhz: 240
vCore: 1.48
Temp: < 52 c

Cool thanks Tech Tweaker I believe the manual did say that will happen. Sometimes it goes bit up sometimes bit down.

Currently the overclock is:
Mhz: 240
vCore: 1.48
Temp: < 52 c

You're welcome.

Sounds like you're nearing your max stable OC then.

You probably won't be able to get too much more out of your chip and be able to maintain your system's stability without better cooling.

1.4 vcore isn't too high at all. I'd say find the max HTRef (not called FSB in AMD land anymore) first as you might be board limited. Most 620's don't mind going to 3.6+ on decent air cooling, some even get to 3.8. 1.4v wont get you there though, I'd say find the most you can do with 1.4v, then 1.425v, and then 1.45v.

Edit: just noticed your board xD you're definitely not board limited, my 2 ASUS boards that are slightly lower-end than yours do just fine above 300Mhz+. With my experience with ASUS boards is that they don't report temps or vcore right, use the ASUS PC ProbeII utility from their website. Also, do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration) enabled?

Ok I seem to have hit the wall at 245 mhz. I have vCore 1.51 but prime still crashes. Maybe I just need to still raise vcore but im puzzled cause already raised it from 1.48

Edit: tried vCore 1.52 , pc still crashes

@Dooms101, Idk if load line calibration is enabled or disabled manual doesnt specify the default.

Last edited:
Well you can tell if LLC is enabled by watching the vCore when you go from idle to load. Use ASUS PCProbeII to watch your vCore while youre sitting idle at the desktop, then see where it goes when you run P95. If it drops a little then LLC is disabled and that's called vdroop, it it goes up a little then LLC is enabled and the board is compensating for vdroop. Also you have to adjust your HTLink speed and cpuNB speed to a proportional amount of your CPU speed. For 245Mhz x 14 I'd recommend a x7 HTLink multi (1710Mhz) and a x8 cpuNB multi (1960Hz). Also, you might have to bump your cpuNB voltage a little, try 1.20v You should be able to leave those settings alone while you slowly raise the HTRef and vCore.

Well you can tell if LLC is enabled by watching the vCore when you go from idle to load. Use ASUS PCProbeII to watch your vCore while youre sitting idle at the desktop, then see where it goes when you run P95. If it drops a little then LLC is disabled and that's called vdroop, it it goes up a little then LLC is enabled and the board is compensating for vdroop. Also you have to adjust your HTLink speed and cpuNB speed to a proportional amount of your CPU speed. For 245Mhz x 14 I'd recommend a x7 HTLink multi (1710Mhz) and a x8 cpuNB multi (1960Hz). Also, you might have to bump your cpuNB voltage a little, try 1.20v You should be able to leave those settings alone while you slowly raise the HTRef and vCore.

Ok ty . hmmm. Im keeping HTLink and NB under 2000mhz (currently both above 1900 mhz) which is default, is that good enough?
also NB default volt is 1.75 should i rise that by 1.20v ?

Edit:
SO LLC is recommend to be on?

EDIT: screenshot of current stable (240mhz)
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1735727

Last edited:
Hi, its me once again.

Im trying to get 245 mhz stable with vCore 1.55 but it fails. even though temps stay at acceptable levels (50c)

I dont know if there's any other setting I should be setting, and that vCore seems litle too high?

CPU-NB,HT-Link, Ram timings / speed , should be all good, they are still, below spec.

Any ideas?

Back