• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to build my first PC. Need help with parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nokiafan

I want to build my first pc, but need to sell my gaming laptop first before I will do that. I have an idea on the hardware that I will need, and also have some of the components that I already want.

intel i5 4650k
nvidia gtx 770(maybe 780 if I can enough from selling my comp)
16 gb of ram
motherboard-need help but I would prefer all usb 3.0, don't know whether that is possible and would prefer to have at least one thunderbolt port.
Case-anything that will keep the pc cool and has usb 3.0 that is accessible.
cooling-I dont plan on OC'ing but if the cooler price is worth than I would try to do it
ssd- I have a samsung 840 evo 120 gb right now, so I am cover
optical drive-just something basic no need for bluray

I should have 1300$ for the build, but I want to make sure this will be compatible for g-sync, because I plan on getting a g-sync monitor.

Thanks in advance

I believe G-Sync works with any Kepler GPU so a GTX 770 or 780 should be compatible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132048

This is a new motherboard from ASUS "Z87 Deluxe Quad". Has 2 Thunderbolt 2 headers on-board.

IDK if there are cheaper boards supporting Thunderbolt 2. Eating up over $300 of your budget just on the mobo when you only have $1300 seems a bit foolish, I must admit.

The CPU you want is the 4670K. The 4650K does not exist.

Get 16GB of 1600 or 1866Mhz 1.5V or lower DDR3

Pick up a reasonably decent CPU cooler so you can do some overclocking. It's not complicated to do these days.

Grab a 1TB WD Blue or Black HDD.

When you select a GPU, go for 3 or 4GB of GDDR5. Don't get a 2GB card. Very soon will come the day when 2GB is insufficient.

and you're set.

What alternatives for a motherboard are there? Would it be worth waiting for the nvidia gtx 8xx series of cards? or just go for this generation. It the price worth the upgrade from a 770 to a 780?

Thanks

GTX-770-vs-GTX-780.jpg

Here's a comparison between the 770 and 780. You don't get as much performance per dollar the higher you go. $200-300 is the performance sweetspot for video cards in terms of price/performance ratio

I don't think it's worth waiting for the next generation of cards. Obviously, they will be much better, but they are a long way off at this point.

I can't tell you what alternatives for a motherboard there are because I've never looked into thunderbolt motherboards before. I'm just as much at the mercy of newegg and google searches as you would be.

Back