• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable OC'd SL-75MRN-L Soltek.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

Have the above board and it is a honey.
Slight problem when I OC my Athalon 2100+ downgrade 2600 T'bred B core to 2166MHz. Normaly would run 1733MHZ with fsb 133. The only thing I do is jack the fsb up to 166 and get 2166MHz same as a 2700 would normally run.

With fsb at 166, occasionaly when I boot it gets to the desktop with the hour glass beside the pointer and hangs there. I can move the pointer but clicking icons does nothing. I reboot and it works fine. At 166 occasionally when I'm surfing, typing a letter or doing whatever I get the "blue scream-screen" saying the system is busy and punching any key to continue does not work so I have to reboot.

This indicates to me some minor degree of unstability when running at 166 because as long as I run fsb 133 it works like a dream for hours on end, boots first time every time and rarely do I see the blue scream. I know fsb 133 causes the CPU to run at normal speed of 1733MHz. (Running ME for my own reasons.)
I doubt the CPU is getting to hot because I use a good cooler with Arctic Silver II compound with case fan(s) and rarely see the CPU temp over 40C.
http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html
(Picture shows one tab clip but it now comes with the three tab clip.)

Senior citizen here relatively new to OC'ing and wondering if there is anything I need to set in the BIOS other than just selecting the 166 fsb. I see settings for voltages and other things I know absolutely nothing about. Thought maybe when I go with 166 I should kick the voltage, or whatever, up a notch, but I don't know what to kick or why.

Computers always fascinated me since way back 'younder when I bought my first Tandy 1000SX at Radio Shack, a real screamer with TWO 3.5 floppy drives. We bad, we bad! (I told you I'm a senior . . .) Little over a year ago I built my first one and got a real kick out of it and had a ball.
'Preciate any help & advice ya'll could share. OldBird

1st you shouldnt make that big of a jump, you want to go slowly. go up a little then test the stablity .you go till its unstable then adjust the v-core voltage .025v at a time till its stable "keep an eye on your temps" go a little more then test and so on. you dont want your load temps much higher then 50c. if you get to that point you need better cooling. there are plenty of guide's to overclocking on this site and others or just start another thread. i have to get back to work but im sure someone else spot your thread soon. talk with you later. good luck.:thup:
i almost forgot post some more info about you rig(see my sig below) the more we know the more we can help.

The fsb has only two options I use, 133 & 166 and I don't know how to adjust it to say 150. If I did I'm certain that would solve the problem.

"you go till its unstable then adjust the v-core voltage .025v at a time till its stable "keep an eye on your temps" go a little more then test and so on." That I can handle. Thanks for the help.

Gotta' get busy on some honey-do's so might play it with some this afternoon.

There should be an adjustment called something like cpu interface that when you open it should say turbo/aggresive/expert? adjust it to expert. if you cant find that try lowering the multiplyer & go with 166fsb. the owners manual should say something. :eh?:

Yes, there are expert settings for memory frequency. You'll have to set expert for your CPU, and then expert will show up until the memory settings.
I have the SL-FRN2-RL right now, but tomorrow or Monday I'll be changing over to the system in my sig.

I would also like to know all of your voltages and system components.

Running OK now.

Got all of that info fine and I thank you.

I poked around in the BIOS before I read the replies and sort of scared me because this box runs good and fast and I didn't want to fry something by making asjustments I know nothing about.
Discretion IS the better part of valor.

For kicks I loaded the BIOS defaults and Device Mgr now shows me Athalon 2700+ with not one sign of instability since loading defaults and it's been on all day. For the time being I'll let well enough alone 'cause we have to get ready to go party down with my SC red neck buddies. ;-}

I thought my first post pretty well covered my system but here's more; 40Gig Maxtor Ultra ATA Diamond Plus 7200RPM, 512MB Crucial RAM, LiteOn DVD, LiteOn CDRW, Internal ZIP, typical mid tower metal case, one 30CFM exaust fan, one 30CFM intake.
'Das about it . . .

To mattspalace:

Congrats on getting hitched, I know you're excited and I wish ya'll a long and fruitful marriage filled with abundant joy, health and prosperity. Little over 28 years ago I married a great gal and it has been one hell'ava party. It ain't all one big bed of roses, it's a give and take thing, you give 75% and she gives 75% and you have a nice 50% overlap to allow for personal defects.

Many years ago I read this:
"I am not here to live up to your expectations and you are not here to live up to mine, but if by chance we could meet somewhere in between it would be beautiful."
I guess it boils down to tolerance, compassion and compromise.
Remember the 75 - 75.

Hug and kiss her every day and tell you how much you love her and never, ever go to bed angry at each other.
A very wise old Black man once told me,
"Always be careful what goes out of your mouth for it can never go back in." When you argue, and you will, chose your words very carefully. Sharp tounges cause severe wounds that can be healed with apoligies, but the scar will always be there. In ALL ways be kind to one another. I hope ya'll have a good life together.

Gotta' get ready to go to a shin-dig so catch up wif' ya' later.
OldBird

Back