• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling w/ No OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's fun!

The question that needs to be asked if you aren't overclocking and never will is....why not? No seriously, the question would be is your aircooled system loud and you want silence? or maybe...you just think that it looks cool? or maybe money is burning hole in pocket?

Jim

Yep, all valid answers. Some go to water cuz they want to. Others want to push the hardware to the max. If your temps are acceptable and your happy, there is no reason to even go aftermarket air cooling. Afertmarket air cooling is very effective till you push it to the limit, then you have to spend $100's to go WC.

Man If I was stock, I'd had saved $200 in air cooled stuff, then got the WC bug and spent another $600. But I want the max within reason.

You can get reasonably quiet stock performance on air with the good heatpipe solutions available these days. Watercooling is nice in that you can cool anything quietly while o'cing.

hehe i don't blame him tho for wanting to wc
it looks good if it's routed neat and it can be very quiet ( as my reason is. loudest thing is actually the psu when running the fans at minimum )

You can make a WC setup that is cooler and quieter than air, so yeah, I think it can make sense. The problem is, it's also more expensive. High-end air with quiet low speed fans will be very effective and quiet for much cheaper.
Dan

I know this isn't the right forum, but what would you recommend for high end air with quiet fans?

Currently I am Watercooled and No OCing, I enjoy the fact that I can barely hear my computer now.

my 15 fans in my case sound like a jet engine at times but my temps are high 20c's on idle now. w/ my antec 1200 though, I will eventually go thick tubing water cooling w/ some fancy UV liquid and all that to water cool everything... cpu, hd, gpu, chips, you name it. I figure it will cost me about $600 to do it right... That will be my spring project. Winter is coming and all I have to do is open my porch door (case is next to the door) and my temps drop by like 15°c lol (Buffalo NY winters....)

I think it's fairly valid. Mainly because you don't have to worry about dust as much with a rad as you do with a heatsink (though you do still have to dust it out occasionally). If your rad is externally mounted, then you can dust it much easier than opening the case.

Also, with WC, you can cool every big thing in your case with water (GPUs fans are LOUD) so that when you do open something intensive (say a game where the card kicks into 3D mode and the fan kicks up) there is no difference in sound. You can eliminate the CPU and GPU fans easily. Then just keep the case clear and have a couple 120mm quiet fans for a little airflow to keep the rest cool. Definitely a feasible idea.

And of course, the capability to overclock later :D

Okay, so for convience sake I was thinking about the Zalman Reserator XT since I won't be doing very much overclocking right now.

Would anyone say otherwise against this idea?

Okay, so for convience sake I was thinking about the Zalman Reserator XT since I won't be doing very much overclocking right now.

Would anyone say otherwise against this idea?

I wouldn't bother personally. That said, I don't know how quiet it is. I'd much rather build myself a custom loop that I know has the capability for overclocking as well as being pretty much dead silent.

Going by jr1's posted review, the cooling abilities of the reserator sucks. I have a $200 loop on my computer, with an overclocked videocard and an overclocked CPU, and my temps still dont reach that high.

It's a crap watercooling setup. But boy it's pretty, and I mean that. But it's abilities to do what it is meant to do is overpriced and usually gets modded later or sold on Ebay to the next sap. It's a great start for ones who want to go the easy route. But once the parts wear out or it's limitations are reached (pretty soon in fact) it's just a money pit.

Yopu can save hundreds by doing the research if you even need WC, and if so, doing it right the first time.

Be a consumer captive or be a computer hobbiest. Radio Shack mentality or a informed person. Up to you.

I overclock my CPU but my video cards remain stock. When I need it I'll overclock. Silence is my quest but an extra ghz on my q6600 was quite easy.

You can make a WC setup that is cooler and quieter than air, so yeah, I think it can make sense. The problem is, it's also more expensive. High-end air with quiet low speed fans will be very effective and quiet for much cheaper.
Dan

A true has high fin density so you need medium/high speed fan with high pressure to run it effectively. Otherwise, get a TT120, which has low fin density so it will run off a low speed fan nicely. That's why JDawggS316 commented too.

I wouldn't bother personally. That said, I don't know how quiet it is. I'd much rather build myself a custom loop that I know has the capability for overclocking as well as being pretty much dead silent.
I think it's fairly valid. Mainly because you don't have to worry about dust as much with a rad as you do with a heatsink (though you do still have to dust it out occasionally). If your rad is externally mounted, then you can dust it much easier than opening the case.

Also, with WC, you can cool every big thing in your case with water (GPUs fans are LOUD) so that when you do open something intensive (say a game where the card kicks into 3D mode and the fan kicks up) there is no difference in sound. You can eliminate the CPU and GPU fans easily. Then just keep the case clear and have a couple 120mm quiet fans for a little airflow to keep the rest cool. Definitely a feasible idea.

And of course, the capability to overclock later :D

Very much agreed! Get the s-flex "f" or "d" with a fan controller, like a sunbeam, and don't look back. There's a fan review on xtreme forums and they said "s-flex fluid bearings kick ***"

Back