• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hooking up my RAM to my Watercooling - ID/OD problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Humbie

I currently have only my CPU Waterblock hooked up to my Zalman Reserator XT, but I would like to hook up my RAM (OCZ FlexXLC) as well. That's why I bought it in the first place, but I didn't have enough tube.

The problem is as follows... my tube has an ID of 3/8 while the RAM Waterblock has an ID of only 1/4.

Is there any possibility of hooking up the tube to the RAM securely so I don't get any leakage?

(Or is it the OD of my RAM Waterblock that has to be compliant to my ID of my tube?)

i had the same problem....what you can do is get a converter coupling or a Y spltter what i would do is

cpu < Y splitter < 2 ram sticks < Y splitter < pump/rad you get me ? that way you wont have to much restriction

Yeah, I get you...

The only deal is... I've got 4 RAM slots occupied by FlexXLC so it's gonna be like...

WC -> CPU -> Y

Then on each of the ends of that Y again another Y, those ends hooked up to the ram...
and the reverse on the outgoing end...

Anyone know where to get those Y-adaptors around Antwerp, Belgium? :p

thats going to be alot of y's haha but i guess it could work hey have you had any prob with your ram? how big is your oc? what board are you using?

Well, in fact... I'm reverse OC'ing :D

Many people are OC'ing their RAM to come close to their CPU FSB...

I've got an Intel QX9650 (FSB 1333) and 4GB OCZ DDR2-800 CL3 FlexXLC.

So basicly what I did is... Overclock my CPU to 1600MHZ FSB with 10x multiplier, so that counts up to 4GHz ( x4 core = ~16GHZ ;) )

And seeing that my FSB is quadpumped... it actually comes from 400MHz
Since DDR2-800 is in fact also coming from 400MHz, I'm running them in sync mode :p

Mainboard is Asus Striker II Formula by the way.

Anyway, I'm going to expand my WC circuit so that my NB/SB is WC'ed too :)
That should lead to a big performance gain, since at the moment my NB overheats quite often (Nvidia 780i not all that great, but I had to have the qx9650 :p and that chip supported it)
Gonna try getting beyond 4.5GHz/core :p

Last edited:
Humbie said:
Yeah, I get you...

The only deal is... I've got 4 RAM slots occupied by FlexXLC so it's gonna be like...

WC -> CPU -> Y

Then on each of the ends of that Y again another Y, those ends hooked up to the ram...
and the reverse on the outgoing end...

Anyone know where to get those Y-adaptors around Antwerp, Belgium? :p
Why not just do a "y" then link the ram together, You'd need a "y" with 10mm in 10mm out 7mm out, then do something like this:

Code:
           ________[U]3/8" tube[/U]_____           
          "Y">  \_   _    _/  <"Y"
                  |_| |_|
             Ram  1 2 3 4

Last edited:
Why not just do a "y" then link the ram together, You'd need a "y" with 10mm in 10mm out 7mm out, then do something like this:

Code:
           ________[U]3/8" tube[/U]_____           
          "Y">  \_   _    _/  <"Y"
                  |_| |_|
             Ram  1 2 3 4

That could be a solution yes... but why would I need that 3/8 tube between the two Y's for?

Maybe if there existed an in-between to go from 3/8" to 1/4" and back... that would really solve my problem!

(I hope in-between is a correct word for it :p English isn't my native lang)

ah ic very nice TazExtreme3 i would never be able to draw that haha and why do you want to w/c your ram so badly? is it just for the cool factor? because my ram doesnt get hot at all.... but im also running it at 800 instead of its rated speed...

I currently have only my CPU Waterblock hooked up to my Zalman Reserator XT, but I would like to hook up my RAM (OCZ FlexXLC) as well. That's why I bought it in the first place, but I didn't have enough tube.

The problem is as follows... my tube has an ID of 3/8 while the RAM Waterblock has an ID of only 1/4.

Is there any possibility of hooking up the tube to the RAM securely so I don't get any leakage?

(Or is it the OD of my RAM Waterblock that has to be compliant to my ID of my tube?)
You'd be better off cooling the northbrodge instead pf the memory. That being said, try this..........

Attachments

• Mem Cool.jpg
    Mem Cool.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 198
You'd be better off cooling the northbrodge instead pf the memory. That being said, try this..........

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do also... got some EK-waterblocks ordered already but I just wanna add my ram to the setup as well...

Could there be any possibility of having a part custom made?

I mean like... make this myself out of copper or aluminium:

Code:
_________  3/8"
  | | | |  1/4"

probably and prefered out of copper
with alu you would get mixed metals and that's not the best thing

Personally, I'd go with a T, with the straight line going as a bypass to the CPU, and the side pipe going to the ram. BTW a "T" puts less restriction on a line than a "Y"

Which part of the Tee is less restrictive than a Wye, The 90' bend or the straight through part?

straight through part.

i would go with a T as well that way you don't mess with the flow rate all that much and while the ram won't get as much water as with a Y it will get enough to cool it and keep the cpu happy.

Code:
_________  3/8"
  | | | |  1/4"
I don't get what you're meaning. Where would the return from the memory blocks be?

As for making a manifold, that depends on your skills, what tools you have available, and how much you want to spend.

Attachments

• MANIFOLD.JPG
    MANIFOLD.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 156
I don't get what you're meaning. Where would the return from the memory blocks be?

As for making a manifold, that depends on your skills, what tools you have available, and how much you want to spend.

Wow dude, what program are you using to draw that?
Would love to use it for drawing the sketch of my custom-made part :D

By the way... the tools I have available are uhm... unlimited :p
My dad works @ BASF Chem and can easily let something like that be produced at his department...

But anyway, it's like you drew, except for the straight through exhaust. I would just let 2 pieces like that be made, one to connect my tube from out of cpu-block to my 4 in on RAM
and then one to connect my 4 out on RAM to the tube going out my case again.

It would be quite foolish to let a straight through exhaust exist, because... well, I don't have anything on my mobo that's further than my RAM

Back