• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How Well Does Tooth Paste Work as a Thermal Interface Material on Quad Core CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can also just use a bolt kit instead. Thermalright makes a bolt kit for socket 775 that I used with my e8400 and stock cooler.

But this is great, enjoyed the read :thup:
Glad everyone's enjoying the thread. I instead opted for this temporary cooling solution and buying a better HSF for overclocking.

Years and years ago, it wasn't too uncommon to hear about people using toothpaste (the plain white stuff) in a pinch. You took it all the way though :)

I'll take that :thup:

Props for going through with it. Just keep an eye out for drying as some others said!
Thanks for the props. But I kept no eye on it as I slept last night and it idled at around 32C. It's not going to instantly stop working. The threat would be when under load and after longer term use. :)

Years and years ago, it wasn't too uncommon to hear about people using toothpaste (the plain white stuff) in a pinch. You took it all the way though :)
I was around back then, and knowing that others had used toothpaste is what inspired me to go with this temp cooling solution.

Keep in mind now that just because tooth paste is good as a thermal paste... it does not mean that plain thermal paste can replace toothpaste...

Keep in mind now that just because tooth paste is good as a thermal paste... it does not mean that plain thermal paste can replace toothpaste...
Hard to conclude from my testing how well this toothpaste would work with a properly installed heatsink. I'm guessing load temps would be lower, and I wouldn't use it to O/C. No way to know how long it would last before temps would get too high. But I'm guessing toothpaste could be trusted without prolonged load times (ordinary use) for at least a year with a properly installed HSF.

And now having just read online that the F7Pro comes with a pre-installed high performance TIM, there's no reason to wipe it off and continue testing toothpaste. I'd rather O/C this rig and get on with subjecting it to heavy use.

So my conclusion with toothpaste is what others already knew. It can be trusted to work as a TIM, probably shouldn't be used for overclocking, and temps should be monitored.

I wish they would hurry up and deliver my F7Pro. :)

According to the testing I linked earlier, there was already degradation after 12 hours...

According to the testing I linked earlier, there was already degradation after 12 hours...
I didn't see any significant degradation for toothpaste in that round-up. And I don't see any degradation with the toothpaste that I'm using after ~24 hours.

Hard to conclude from my testing how well this toothpaste would work with a properly installed heatsink. I'm guessing load temps would be lower, and I wouldn't use it to O/C. No way to know how long it would last before temps would get too high. But I'm guessing toothpaste could be trusted without prolonged load times (ordinary use) for at least a year with a properly installed HSF.

And now having just read online that the F7Pro comes with a pre-installed high performance TIM, there's no reason to wipe it off and continue testing toothpaste. I'd rather O/C this rig and get on with subjecting it to heavy use.

So my conclusion with toothpaste is what others already knew. It can be trusted to work as a TIM, probably shouldn't be used for overclocking, and temps should be monitored.

I wish they would hurry up and deliver my F7Pro. :)

I don't think you got my joke... don't use thermal paste in place of tooth paste just because tooth paste can be used as thermal paste.... in other words, don't brush your teeth with Artic Ceramique!

I don't think you got my joke... don't use thermal paste in place of tooth paste just because tooth paste can be used as thermal paste.... in other words, don't brush your teeth with Artic Ceramique!
Right, I thought you meant something else. Haven't read a joke about that in years - from SilverSinkSam.

Toothpaste, Honey & Peanut Butter with foil tape holding it all together.
Has to be the best getto job every!! :thup:

Back