• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lost without internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I have no idea why I am having trouble connecting to the internet via my ethernet cable. I'm temporarily living in an apartment complex in a 3rd world country. Using my ethernet cable, my neighbors are able to connect to the internet; so it shouldn't be a problem with the port. Moreover, when I go right next door to my neighbor's apartment, I am also able to connect to the internet using my computer; so it shouldn't be a problem with my computer. This confuses me.

I don't know much about computers, but I'd assume if I were blocked from the network, shouldn't I be blocked in my next door neighbor's too? I was downloading a lot prior to this blockage.

I've tried system restores, changing my IP address, reinstalling my drivers, etc. I don't really know what else to do, besides wait for my slow landlord to handle this situation.

Assuming you have dynamic IP, first make a basic test of your connection.
Open up a command prompt:

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /renew

This checks for basic communication by checking to see that your computer
can at least talk to the DHCP server.

and if you were downloading alot maybe they blocked your port, its not impossible.

How is the network set up in your building?

If I read the OP correctly, his neighbor can use his port without issue, and
he can use his PC on his neighbor's port. The obvious solution, trade apartments. :)

Decent router firmware can easily allow a specific MAC or IP to be filtered on a specific port. Talk to the landlord and promise not to be a bad bandwidth-hogging neighbour :)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. As it turns out, my MAC address was blocked from my port ... so ticktock was right. Yay, no more swinging ethernet cords over 2 balconies on the 4th floor... :)

Back