• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Silverstone GD05B HTPC Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seems...

the only problem is that this one seems to be a little bad organized for me
then comes the fact that is is too tight for equipment.
But it is a case for "minis" so my complains are baseless complains ?:shrug:

Once again, yet another HTPC case without an IR receiver.
I don't get how case manufactures can call this a HTPC case without one.
At this point in time, its simple a standard Desktop style case.

Jay, I'm not a big HTPC follower, but aren't a lot of matx boards coming with bluetooth? It also seems most IR remotes come with their own USB receivers. I suppose it would be a nice HTPC case feature, but honestly I hadn't thought about the need for for IR in the case... It's also the lower budget option for remote controls though, so from that perspective, it would be especially nice to be included on a cheap $90 HTPC case.

Jay, I'm not a big HTPC follower, but aren't a lot of matx boards coming with bluetooth? It also seems most IR remotes come with their own USB receivers. I suppose it would be a nice HTPC case feature, but honestly I hadn't thought about the need for for IR in the case... It's also the lower budget option for remote controls though, so from that perspective, it would be especially nice to be included on a cheap $90 HTPC case.

I just dont like how they call this a HTPC case.
HTPC is a trendy thing now, and IMHO, manufactures are simply calling desktop cases HTPC cases.

So we essentially now have towers and HTPC cases.

Sure you can run bluetooth (via USB), but what remote control is actually bluetooth?
Remotes are almost always IR, along with your TV. So it might just be me, but i think IR is a must have feature.

I will use my case for example
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzE4
That is an Antec Fusion Remote (i got the one without the remote as I already have one)

If your running a HTPC the remote is a must.
If your running Windows, and Media Center, the user experience is so much better with a remote.

Same goes with the Linux guys and Myth TV

Or Media Portal, Beyond TV, MediOS, ect.

But like I said, maybe its me.
The way I see it is, its just another desktop case unless it has specific HTPC features, and the IR receiver is a BIG ONE.

never liked IR receivers. i hate the whole line of sight thing. and tbh... harmony remotes on the HTPC suck BALLS... their lag in sending ir communications is so nerve racking. my ati remote wonder pluss is instant and RF... so i can be at the other end of the upstairs in my room hit next and it will change a song etc etc etc.

and really... complaining about the fans when you didnt even try undervolting them.... i have the same case. the two right side case fans at 5v cool my ENTIRE system, and are silent, got rid of the left side intake, and flipped the right side to be exhaust.... getting rid of the fan filters gets rid of alot of fan noise too. alright review, but it doesnt do the case justice.

This is a pretty popular HTPC remote that uses bluetooth:
http://www.overclockers.com/dinovomini

I also have an nmedia remote and a lenovo remote which both use proprietary USB dongles that don't require line of sight. My htpc is in a cabinet in my entertainment center, behind a marbled glass door... Not sure if IR would work through it.

I looked around, but didn't have an easy time finding many other bluetooth HTPC remotes - I thought higher end htpc remotes used them, but maybe the fancy universal remotes do? Or maybe I'm in left field...

This is a pretty popular HTPC remote that uses bluetooth:
http://www.overclockers.com/dinovomini

I also have an nmedia remote and a lenovo remote which both use proprietary USB dongles that don't require line of sight. My htpc is in a cabinet in my entertainment center, behind a marbled glass door... Not sure if IR would work through it.

I looked around, but didn't have an easy time finding many other bluetooth HTPC remotes - I thought higher end htpc remotes used them, but maybe the fancy universal remotes do? Or maybe I'm in left field...

even the most expensive harmony remote uses lame IR.

never liked IR receivers. i hate the whole line of sight thing. and tbh... harmony remotes on the HTPC suck BALLS... their lag in sending ir communications is so nerve racking. my ati remote wonder pluss is instant and RF... so i can be at the other end of the upstairs in my room hit next and it will change a song etc etc etc.

and really... complaining about the fans when you didnt even try undervolting them.... i have the same case. the two right side case fans at 5v cool my ENTIRE system, and are silent, got rid of the left side intake, and flipped the right side to be exhaust.... getting rid of the fan filters gets rid of alot of fan noise too. alright review, but it doesnt do the case justice.

I have very little noticeable lag on my Harmony 700 controlling my XBMC setup, so it doesn't suck for everyone.

Already have a Logitech dinovo mini.
And I use a remote.
The mini is a good wireless keyboard, but a remote is the best interface for a TV.
Its Simple, and you dont need to teach a guest that comes over how to use it.

It so much nicer being able to lay down and use a remote with one hand.
Something you cant do with a keyboard.

If you guys dont like IR, fine, you should demand a Bluetooth or RF reviver built into the case so you dont have anything extra pluged into the back of the case in a usb port.
Like i said before, its just another desktop case unless is actually has HTPC specific features.

Already have a Logitech dinovo mini.
And I use a remote.
The mini is a good wireless keyboard, but a remote is the best interface for a TV.
Its Simple, and you dont need to teach a guest that comes over how to use it.

It so much nicer being able to lay down and use a remote with one hand.
Something you cant do with a keyboard.

If you guys dont like IR, fine, you should demand a Bluetooth or RF reviver built into the case so you dont have anything extra pluged into the back of the case in a usb port.
Like i said before, its just another desktop case unless is actually has HTPC specific features.

and what are "htpc specific features"

IMO a case that goes along with the look of other home theater equipment like a reciever, that doesnt stand out like a sore thumb, is a perfect canidate for a htpc case... and as such the GD05B is.

if an IR reciever makes or breaks the "HTPC" case designation then call me dumb cus thats a horid way to classify a case.

and what are "htpc specific features"

IMO a case that goes along with the look of other home theater equipment like a reciever, that doesnt stand out like a sore thumb, is a perfect canidate for a htpc case... and as such the GD05B is.

if an IR reciever makes or breaks the "HTPC" case designation then call me dumb cus thats a horid way to classify a case.

What are HTPC specific features, well anything extra that is fo a HTPC case that a standard desktop case doesnt have.

Other than support for USB 2.0, these current cases are not much different than 10+ year old ATX desktop cases other than the you cant find them in "Almond" colour

All I look for in a HTPC case is something of a size and look that will fit into my audio rack, so for me this is an HTPC case.

Additionally the low intensity power/activity LED, the ample cooling to allow for quiet running (though I hear the silent fans aren't silent - I'm going to replace and undervolt those anyway).

I think we'll have to agree that different people have different requirements from their HTPC case, this fits all my needs but clearly not JaY_III's. That's cool though. Everyone's different :)

All i am saying is this is not a HTPC case
But is a standard desktop case.

Yes you can use it for a HTPC, but you could also use a tower for that matter.

I just get annoyed at the manufactures for calling something the latest buzz word of the day in an attempt to get some more PR.

All i am saying is this is not a HTPC case
But is a standard desktop case.

Yes you can use it for a HTPC, but you could also use a tower for that matter.

I just get annoyed at the manufactures for calling something the latest buzz word of the day in an attempt to get some more PR.

i totally agree man.

I just bought a GD05, but only now have I heard about the plastic front panel causing static issues. A quick tour with a DMM shows the USB and audio 'shield' shells aren't connected to the chassis ground, nor are the switches.

The impression I had when i bought it was that there was an aluminium skin over plastic, now it seems the whole front panel is plastic? (yes, that's how aluminium is spelled in Australia...)

The USB/audio ports seem easy enough to ground out, the switches not so much.

Anyone like to share experiences or point me in the right direction toward fixing this? I'm just googling around looking for clues atm.

And yes, had I have know all this, I would have bought a GD04 instead... Seems like a nice enough case apart from this issue.

Rob

... like stated... i have had this case for quite some time... and have NEVER had any issues with static and the possible lack of grounding. the front SHOULD have an aluminum skin on it.

Once again, yet another HTPC case without an IR receiver.
I don't get how case manufactures can call this a HTPC case without one.
At this point in time, its simple a standard Desktop style case.

IR built in is dandy until you place the unit in an enclosed audio rack, then you either need a IR repeater or an expensive RF to IR system. I always use a standard MS eHome IR reciever and they always work great and I can put it wherever I need to. This case is designed to match the standard width of audio components, and is styled to match them (the round feet etc). This would be an awful design for a desktop case and I wouldn't even consider using it for one, but to fit in a space limited audio rack and mesh with my other components it was pretty good.

This is a review of a case as shipped, certainly you could undervolt the fans and remove the fan grills etc, but I reviewed the case as delivered and based on it's intended use.

... like stated... i have had this case for quite some time... and have NEVER had any issues with static and the possible lack of grounding. the front SHOULD have an aluminum skin on it.

Maybe the design has changed, because there appears to be no aluminum in the face of mine, and even if there is it isn't grounded to the rest of the case, and static is definitely an issue. It's not a deal breaker since the case doesn't get touched that often, but it is a little concerning.

Maybe the design has changed, because there appears to be no aluminum in the face of mine, and even if there is it isn't grounded to the rest of the case, and static is definitely an issue. It's not a deal breaker since the case doesn't get touched that often, but it is a little concerning.

Yeah, I'm still concerned too; I'll end up using the front USB sockets a lot.

No aluminium here either though, I've tried pushing meter probes into inconspicuous areas.

The GD04 and GD05 seem very similar, including a cutout in the chassis of the GD05 that would line up perfectly with the power/reset switches on a GD04. I've had a conversation with the people at Altech (distributors for Silverstone here in Aus) about getting a GD04 panel and putting it on the 05. They were SUPER helpful, really great, but ended up deciding it wouldn't work.

When does the static 'zap' you? I've already found that the switches' bodies aren't grounded, perhaps they should be? I've grounded the USB sockets - easy, unscrew the panel, solder wire to ground point, replace - even though that shouldn't be needed.

Last edited:
Back