• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Power does my Build need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamkollaris

Registered
Hi all!

So after replacing a broken MoBo in a Pc im building for a friend, we have also decided to get a new PSU, since we believe it may have been under powering the PC and caused the MoBo to die.

Specs:
CPU: Socket 1366 i7 950 - Stock Clock
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX, x3 2GB, 1600Mhz (6GB Total) - Stock Clock
HDD: 500GB WD 7200RPM SATAII
Optical: ASUS SATA DVDRW SATAII
Video: PCIE MSI GT640 2GB OC Edition - Stock Clock
Cooling: 120mm DeepCool CPU cooler, 2x 120mm Intake LED, 1x 120mm Exhaust LED, 1x 200mm Top Exhaust NO LED.

As you can see by the specs its a simple build for entry level gaming. We currently have a 430w 19a CoolerMaster PSU. I was looking at an ANTEC or CORSAIR PSU since they have been good to me in the past. something around 550w+ with ~30+ amps on the 12v+ Rail.

That said im not 100% sure that it is needed, as the 430w PSU seems to power another i7 Rig with similar specs just fine.

Any help would be amazing!

Plug your system spec's into Corsair's PSU finder, and see what it comes up with...

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/psu-finder

... but you shouldn't need anything more than a 500W unit for that setup, w/ nothing overclocked.

Thanks mate!

I've already tried out the psu calculators online, most don't show the amperage needed. So it's always good to get another set of eyes on the issue

500w psu it is!

A 500W PSU would easily power that system...even overclocked. In my signature is a list of QUALITY PSU's. Check that out as you do not want a garbage PSU either. ;)

Back