• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just finished watching an OC3D review of the 750D (word of warning, it's a LONG review) and TTL was raving about it. It's seriously got me thinking of picking one up now.

Sorry about your luck so far with this case. Hopefully the third time is the charm, but if it's not, the 750D seems like a good choice too.

Just finished watching an OC3D review of the 750D (word of warning, it's a LONG review) and TTL was raving about it. It's seriously got me thinking of picking one up now.

Sorry about your luck so far with this case. Hopefully the third time is the charm, but if it's not, the 750D seems like a good choice too.

yea hopefully but that's why I am still looking, I found the antech nineteen hundred and I liked the setup of the case on that one but every one of the reviews I find say the airflow is crap so it looks like either the 750D or Air 540 now that I have a bigger desk

No, decent 120mm fans are pretty quiet also.
It does come with 3x140mm though, so what I would do is run those in the rear/top and put your 3x120mm in the front.

before I forget, whats the distance you have between the mobo tray and the side panel of the case? I cant seem to find that on the air 540 and my heatsink is rather large, it barely fits in my case and its 8 inches wide

I have an air540 as well love it sold the primo I had waited eons for to use it. Theres a ton of room behind the mobo since the pus sits back there also you'll have no problems putting a lagre heatsink on the cpu as it has a 140mm rear exhaust fan shows it can easily house a D-14 sized cooler. If you have any questions about the air540 gimmie a holler or post here i'll be happy to answer any thing I can

the only thing I am wondering about the 540 is the distance from the tray to the ouside of the case, I cant seem to find that any where.
find a lot of places telling me the width of the case as a whole but nothing about from the tray to the side pannel

SIN, he wants the other side.

Niku, its 8" from the tray to the inner lip. I've got almost 2" to spare with my D14.

SIN, he wants the other side.

Niku, its 8" from the tray to the inner lip. I've got almost 2" to spare with my D14.

ok cool thanks for the info it helps. i'm still questioning if i'm going to have enough room

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

Product information tech specs page says max CPU cooler height is 170mm. The PDF manual (downloads section) says 180mm.

Either way, plenty of room for tall CPU coolers.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185143

If that's your cooler, it will definitely fit.

the cooler fits no problem but when I put the fan on it, which I mean i'ma gonna need a fan, it sticks up higher than the heatsink by anther 1/2-ish inch. its not normal for it but that's what has to happen because I cant mount it like they intend because the MOSFET heatsinks are in the way, the area around the cpu in my set up is very....busy... any way with how the fan is mounted all the fins still have air flow all my overlap is just on top of the heatsink instead of evenly spaced like how it was intended

that coupled with a lot of places saying 180mm max height for a heatsink, more often that not I notice they forget to include the mobo being on stand offs and the thickness of the cpu in the socket. an AMD cpu is generally thicker than an intel cpu, partly because of the retention system for the processor. AMD uses legs on the processor intel has legs in the socket that lay pretty flat when you put the processor in and clamp it down.

so that 180mm might have shrank to 160mm which gives me 1mm of clearance for the heatsink. i'm not jumping any ones case about it but I wanted a straight from a owners perspective.

I know the 750D is wide enough because its about 9 1/4" thick, the 540's a different situation so that's why I asked

side note, fedex tried to deliver my 3rd attempt at the deep silence 6 less than 5 minutes after I left for work. my hopes are pretty low that this survived. my thinking is, the more time it spends on the truck, the more jacked up its going to be. my prime 2 day got held up an extra day so that was 3 days in transit, then the attempted delivery today so that was an extra unload and load into the truck, and then when it got back to their base station thing theres another extra unload and will probably be loaded up in the morning to be unloaded again. plus all that time in the back of the delivery truck.

i'm thinkin I am going to be opening a box of dust....but who knows

Your cooler is only ~160mm tall, you won't have any issues with it fitting...

According to the manual, you can put the RAM in the to furthest slots from the CPU (A2 and B2), then just put the fan on that side.... Problem solved.. :shrug:

Attachments

• ram1.JPG
    ram1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 107
  • RAM2.JPG
    RAM2.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 108
Ah, my apologies. I didn't know there were extenuating circumstances.

http://www.corsair.com/en/obsidian-series-750d-full-tower-atx-case

According to Corsair, the 750D also has 170mm of clearance for the CPU cooler.

I picked up a 750D a couple of nights ago that I can measure this weekend if you'd like, but as I don't own the 540 I can't help with that unfortunately.

That's cool it's just a concern of mine after I ordered a case for a friend last year and a heatsink that it said it would fit. After we got it we found out the manufacturer of the case didn't take the mobo and cpu into consideration when they measured out the specs. So needless to say he's still using the stock cooler on an unlocked over clocked budget cpu. We are probably going to mod his case soon though

According to the manual, you can put the RAM in the to furthest slots from the CPU (A2 and B2), then just put the fan on that side.... Problem solved.. :shrug:

It's not the ram in the way, I have 4 sticks installed any way, it's the heatsink around the cpu

I think I can state reliably at this point that aluminum cases are no good if you need silence. I've had 2 lian li cases now and it was almost impossible to get rid of the weird harmonics or whatever you call the annoying sound of super light metal panels vibrating at the most annoying frequency known to man. Putting a bunch of electrical tape pads a couple layers thick between the doors and the case helped off and on but the noise always comes back eventually. Sometimes taking the panels off and on again once or twice would fix it for awhile but I got sick of it. I just got a fractal midi r2 and I don't really have that problem but I did get a bad fan. When I turn the bad fan off and keep the idle fan speed down with asus mobo software it's pretty damn quiet. I can hear it a little since I'm right next to it and it's a couple feet down on the floor. The top of the case is almost all grill so there's really nothing between the internals and my ears. Still waaay better than the lian li and the wooOOoooowooOOOooooowooOOoooowoOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooo sound all day and night. I have 4 arctic f4 140mm fluid dynamic fans on the way to completely swap out all fans in the case and I have high hopes. Long story short, awesome case. Fantastic cooling. All 140mm fans. 180mm space for cpu coolers. Easy to work in. Filters everywhere that are easy to remove and clean. Doesn't cost a fortune. Matches my entertainment center. Heavy steel is the way. Buy it.

Attachments

• arcr2-19b.jpg
    arcr2-19b.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 105
  • arcr2-6b.jpg
    arcr2-6b.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 1271661-fractal-design-arc-midi-r2-montage-4.jpg
    1271661-fractal-design-arc-midi-r2-montage-4.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 105
  • arc-midi-r2-case-review,X-6-384810-22.jpg
    arc-midi-r2-case-review,X-6-384810-22.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Well I had an amazing thing happen yesterday. That 3rd nanoxia case came in alive no damage except for s minor bent side panel clip that appears to have happened at the factory because it looks like it happened before painting.

Worked on it till 5am this morning. Ai work now will post pics when I'm done but I'll start a new thread.

Didn't know you had a 4 dimm kit. If you only had 2 the VRM heatsink would be a non-issue.

That's insane. I think the creator is trying to tell you something. It actually looks like a nice case but fate is against it.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Yea i don't know why it took 3 tries to get one that want smashed up. They must have been dropped from pretty high up and flat because the tabs that hold the front and top on are very strong

I was wrong. Steel resonates just as much as aluminum if you have too many fans. I'm not sure how to get rid of these damn vibrations. I have every case fan separated from the case by rubber vibration dampers and attacked with zip ties instead of screws. The thing still hums.

@Brando
you need to make the panels heavier; that sound dampening stuff you can buy even at homedepot works well.. not the light foamy stuff, the thick heavy recycled rubber kind of stuff. You can stick it to every available surface (without blocking airflow of course), but the sidepanels are probably the culprits.

@op
obviously the gods are running interference.. they dont want you to have a nanoxia... better go for a Fractal Design Arc :D

Back