• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

convert male molex to female molex

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamakasi

Is this legal? Can i just switch connectors and plugs?

I have two male molex cables from fan switches that i want to plug in to a bitspower xstation. Can i just switch the pins to female and put them in female molex plugs?

Thanks
Rusty

Nope, its illegal, you'll get arrested.

Seriously though, it'll work just fine as long as you put the 12V, 5V, 3.3V, and Ground to the correct pins.

You can, but measure the voltages with a meter before you connect them to anything, in case any wires are mixed up (easy when all the wires are the same color or aren't the standard red, black, and yellow). OTOH there's usually a good reason for sockets being sockets and plugs being plugs, and in the case of these 4-pin Molex connectors, it's the plugs that send out power and the sockets that consume it.

You can, but measure the voltages with a meter before you connect them to anything, in case any wires are mixed up (easy when all the wires are the same color or aren't the standard red, black, and yellow). OTOH there's usually a good reason for sockets being sockets and plugs being plugs, and in the case of these 4-pin Molex connectors, it's the plugs that send out power and the sockets that consume it.
:thup:

Back