• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using different PCI-e 8 pin (6+2) VGA cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GC

Hi guys,

I've since become a new member as I was unable to remember the email I had registered with in 2006. I've been a long time lurker and the community on this site assisted me in building my first rig (E6600 / P5W-DH Deluxe).

I'm currently in the process of putting a new rig together and at this stage, I don't really want to upgrade my PSU (Corsair HX650). So here's my issue...

In the next couple of months, I'm going to buy a Geforce 770 or 780 and in the interim, I'll be using a rather outdated GTX 560 Ti that a friend of mine had given me. Whilst it may not seem like much of an upgrade for some, my current machine (that was built in 2006) is using an 8800 GTS. :)

Here's the issue.

8800 GTS uses a 6 pin pci-e connector
GTX 560 Ti uses 2 x 8 pin connectors

My Corsair PSU came with 2 x 6+2 pci-e connectors, but for the life of me, I can't find the box it had come in so I only have access to one of these cables..

I was going to buy an additional cable as per the link below:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_1345&products_id=22688

Is there any harm in using 2 different pci-e cables? The cables I've linked are supposedly compatible with 'all PSU's' but I'd like to know if it's in my best interest to buy two of them and forget using my Corsair cable.

Thanks in advance.

GC

Do NOT use that cable... get one through Corsair. Call them and they will give you a number to call to get that part. While it MAY work, it likely won't and could take out the PSU or the entire system if you are unlucky.

Again, call/email Corsair... or use a molex to 6+2 pin adapter. ;)

Your PSU is single rail and it shouldn't matter as long as you have enough total power.
You can get a 4pin molex to 8 pin PCI-E if you have enough molex connectors.
The cable you linked is extension cable for PCI-E. It doesn't plug on the PSU.
Many older cards came with adapter cables included so if you have a pile of PC stuff somewhere you should dig trough it.

Thanks for the quick responses fellas - greatly appreciated.

Using a cable from a different PSU can result in conneting GND to 12V and 12V to GND, which can result in a loud bang, some rather nasty smoke, and a shortage of functional computer parts.

Corsair will likely sell you a new one, they may even send one free.

Thanks for the responses guys. Definitely saved me from potentially frying my rig. I've opted to buy a new PSU as it's probably time to replace the HX 620 (initially thought it was a 650 in my initial post). I'll be sticking with Corsair as I've had absolutely no complaints with my current PSU.

Back