• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Kepler GTX700 (600?) series info here ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure anymore… I was all for nVidia, but several things happened:

1. They released a midrange chip with a top range branding.. Ok
2. Performance of this chip seems to be on par with the 7970… not 100% confirmed.. but that could be a deal breaker for MANY people
3. A sample card was NOT sent to overclockers for review :bang head <- This really irked me.

I really want to review a GTX680, but depending on the performance results (performance summary @ 1080p, power/watt, performance/price), I might end up getting an AMD this time around, for the first time since the good ol Ati 1900xt (2004-5).

I am sure they did this for business reasons.

Why sell a high end card when your mid range can match your competitor at a higher profit margin for you. Then why the competition releases their next gen you can release your high end and maintain the lead.

Makes perfect sense to me, especially since 99% of users never even know the core that makes their GPU run. Unfortunately for us the mindless masses outweigh the informed.

I may just wait out until a Matrix/Lightning version shows up for the 680 series [assuming it is benching better than the 7970 which is all that I really care about]

I am sure they did this for business reasons.

Why sell a high end card when your mid range can match your competitor at a higher profit margin for you. Then why the competition releases their next gen you can release your high end and maintain the lead.

Makes perfect sense to me, especially since 99% of users never even know the core that makes their GPU run. Unfortunately for us the mindless masses outweigh the informed.

Yep, totally on-board, just added to the things that are making me thinking AMD since the 7970 might end up winning the round performance-wise.. But as I mentionned:
but depending on the performance results (performance summary @ 1080p, power/watt, performance/price),
I am undecided as it stands.. waiting for reviews.

That's below the belt, i would never accuse you of being an nVidia fanboy....

lets not go down the road of provocative nonsense, try not to read into whats not there....

i just want to see conclusive results from a bunch of the default trusted reviewers.

No no no, you misinterpreted. All I was implying was that your expectations for the Kepler seem to be a bit lofty, that's all. I wasn't trying to accuse anybody of fanboism.

On another note, more sources seem to be pointing towards a Thursday release. Here's hoping.

No no no, you misinterpreted. All I was implying was that your expectations for the Kepler seem to be a bit lofty, that's all. I wasn't trying to accuse anybody of fanboism.

On another note, more sources seem to be pointing towards a Thursday release. Here's hoping.

For me it needs to be good enough to get some price wars going, i just have this nagging feeling its not going to be.

There is no air of confidence, even nVidia have suddenly gone quiet.... there are no reference cards being bundled off to reviewers, information is very thin...
AMD gave there 7970 away by the ship load full of zing and confidence long before it was on sale.

I have a feeling it will a little better, use a little less power and cost a little more with nVidia preaching jet more hot air about its next card...

They're are reference cards with reviewers, just not this particular reviewer. JeremyCT seems to have decent sources for launch date from what I've been reading as well. All shall come to light soon, and this time I'm just as in the dark as everyone else. Heh, it's not a good feeling after being so used to knowing about stuff before-hand!

They're are reference cards with reviewers, just not this particular reviewer. JeremyCT seems to have decent sources for launch date from what I've been reading as well. All shall come to light soon, and this time I'm just as in the dark as everyone else. Heh, it's not a good feeling after being so used to knowing about stuff before-hand!

They seem to be rather picky about who there sending these cards to, if its that good what are they worried about?

We can't say they're being picky just because they didn't send one our way, that's a leap without knowing more. I do know we were told by several partners they can't seed reference cards for launch. Someone's pulling those strings but we don't know who. Maybe they just plain refused to allow partners to add new launch reviewers right now.

You also can't assume they're worried. We just don't know much until the NDA lifts. I've seen hints from sources I trust that it will be a very solid performer. For instance:

SKYMTL said:
Put it this way: if AMD doesn't have a different (non dual GPU) high end product out by year's end, they'll be in bucketloads of trouble.

He's a source I trust; when he says that, I think this is going to be a very strong card.

1: New series?. Then that will be bad for 7970 owners and well everything. Why do we need a new series just after an year?.

2: Lets presume that 7990 is dual GPU. So it will be anything between 7970 and 7990. This can work but after such a long itme?.

I dont see how they will be in trouble OR how this works out.

Now THIS, is a game changer. Price wars begin.

You might have remember that we said the GTX 680 price wasn't carved in stone and could be easily changed. Today it looks like Nvidia did just that. The new price that partners recieved this morning is $499.

Either Nvidia has seen the general opinion on the GTX 680 higher than expected price tag, or simply dropped the $549 price tag to see AMD's reaction and force another round of price wars. Only Nvidia knows the back story and it is hard to confirm anything, but for now, partners have started hearing talk of a new $499 price tag.

At $499, the GTX 680 certainly sounds like a much better deal and we are sure that AMD will respond with a similar cut. Until today, AMD wasn't worried about GTX 680 due to its $549 price tag and, unofficially, focused on factory overclocked HD 7970 that should end up on a par with the GTX 680.

Still, there are no talks regarding the official "Recommended Retail Price" or RRP and European price is still unknown. As always the price in Europe will tend to end up a bit higher.

Once again we must note that price is not official and until the card shows up on retail/e-tail shelves, or we hear an Nvidia's official RRP price, things can still change.

Now I can strike out two items, which are now non relevant to me since the price bracket has changed.. (according to fud)

2. Performance of this chip seems to be on par with the 7970… not 100% confirmed.. but that could be a deal breaker for MANY people
3. A sample card was NOT sent to overclockers for review :bang head <- This really irked me.

Last edited:
i really want to see how well these cards overclock. the 7970 overclocked very nicely and has very little heat rise from it.

i hope a single 680 will beat my 2 480's i like my sli set up but it would be awesome to go back to one card so i can have less noise and heat coming from my tower.

what are you guys thinking. how will 1 680 go up against 2 480's or 2 570's or even 2 580's in sli?

Pretty sure two 580s in SLI will outperform a single 680. I really only would want a 680 to benchmark for single-card scores on HWBot. Honestly, my 580(s) do everything that I would want and playing every game with maxed out settings at extremely playable/high framerates.

Now THIS, is a game changer. Price wars begin.

That would be a start, AMD are not going to drop the price of there 7970 unless the 680 is actualy on sale cheaper

SKYMTL said:
Put it this way: if AMD doesn't have a different (non dual GPU) high end product out by year's end, they'll be in bucketloads of trouble.

He's a source I trust; when he says that, I think this is going to be a very strong card.

While I agree that GTX 680 looks to be a good performer, I disagree that Sky is referencing the 680 in that post. I think he's referring to whatever GK110 winds up being called. It's supposedly due sometime in Q3 2012 and should be fairly beastly compared to anything either camp is or will be selling in the near future.

While I agree that GTX 680 looks to be a good performer, I disagree that Sky is referencing the 680 in that post. I think he's referring to whatever GK110 winds up being called. It's supposedly due sometime in Q3 2012 and should be fairly beastly compared to anything either camp is or will be selling in the near future.

Didn't think about that; you very well could be right. Good observation! :salute:

Back