• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
Not Too simple a question - even 25fps can be smooth, if it's smooth. The worst thing in a game is CHANGING fps. As long as it sticks to one framerate, it's usually entirely playable.

anything 50 and above is just fine for any game online or otherwise. and the max my LCD can pull at highest res is 75Hz so I usually tap out at around 75 anyway w/ Vsync on. realistically speaking I think 30 is tolerable as that is the maximum that the human eye can detect. unless of course you're not human . . . .

My computer is weird. Sometimes for CS: Source it's STUCK at 50fps and CAN'T go higher, and sometimes it can do up to 100fps. I don't know what's limiting it, but I want my 100fps back :(

55-65 is where i WANT the fps to hang, but its around 10fps in newer games (if it even runs!!) i need pixelshader to run POP:SOT, yay, new game, no play!!

Holy crap... not only do the screenshots look hot, but their website is BEAUTIFUL. Wow, I'm falling in love with just the website... I like, I like. :cool:

When did this game launch?

I play at like 5-35 fps on css, and it's extremely noticiable when it gets down past 30.. I'll have to say if I could keep an FPS of no lower than 50, I'd be one happy camper

I like to get frames in the 50's, but with my computer and the games I play, it's hard to get it above 20.

Seeko, what are your components on your rig and what games? Also, you do know that a LOT of things affects FPS, such as resolution/monitor/vsync(on/off)/details/AA/AF... etc. Any game you play you should do research on. I found it best on cheaper cards with VSync off in games on STEAM. For example, Half-Life and Counter-Strike (the old ones) run decent on cheaper video cards when you have vsync off.

Well if your video card cant even run up to an FPS at which is around even the lowest refresh rate (60hz) it wouldnt matter if you turned vsync off. Vsync merely limits your FPS to the refresh rate for that resolution in order to prevent tearing in 3D games. So if you have like 20 fps in some games.. and your refresh rate is 60hz, and vsync on, youd get a max of 60fps. However, since the card can only draw 20fps, then you wont be getting more than that if you take off the FPS cap, known as vsync.

Apu, thanks but I already knew that. He didn't tell me his res, so maybe his monitor limited him to 50hz. Some of the lower end / smaller monitors have very low refresh rates, especially at any resolutions above 1024x768.

My monitor is a 21" KDS CRT. It can do 120hz at 1152x864 (which is perfect for me for gaming... I don't like higher). My brother's monitor is a 19" flat Viewsonic CRT. His only does 85hz at 1152x864. You can notice the refreshrate drop even at 2". Imagine a 15-17" monitor at that resolution at 1280x1024 or higher...

I was just checking... but yes, you're right. With Vsync on, the refreshrate is the limiting factor. That's why I always override Window's refreshrates to what my monitor can do... either with Refresh Lock, or the nV CP. ATI has a proggy that Auto Populates as well.

I'll have to throw in with Piotrr up there.

AVG FPS don´t mean squat.

I'd rather have a straight constant 30 than 60 that dips to 20 and jumps up to 80 all the time.

Back