• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Groov3st3r

I wanted to get a professional opinion from you guys on what should I do with my current setup.

I was thinking about upgrading for some time now and recent pitiful performance in certain demanding games is really pushing me to the ragged edge. My current cpu is a slighlty clocked e6300 which usually runs fine but is fairly outdated... and I suspect hasn't got too much useable life left.

So I was thinking about upgrading and after some research, I came across the q9550. Which is also not-mint condition but a damn sight better and 4 cores will spread the load of some really cpu-heavy games more evenly.

Also the 65W TDP is very attractive since its the same as my e6300 (theoretically, there should be no increase in power consumption between the two).
Only thing I would need to make it all work together then is some 1066 DDR2 CL5 memory (I have CL7 and thats too much for my board to handle at high speeds).

Anyone has a better idea?
Xeon maybe? Would it be a better idea to buy a different C2D/P processor instead to gain slightly more performance and not spend lots of money on outdated tech?
(If it works, I don't care about the age that much but talking potential-wise, newer hardware might have more headroom)

EDIT: 15/10/12
Since I have originally posted this thread, people of these forums have helped me spec up a decent gaming machine :D

I have gone through upgrading the old 775 socket temporarily from an E6300 to Q6700 which made a massive improvement. But I have upgraded yet again since and reached an i5 2500k - which somehow still manages to beat the Q6700, even after O/C, by a good 50% or more noticeable increase in speed and gaming performance.

At that, I also took out valuable information about new hardware and the way it works so I should be fine from this point onwards upgrading my system further - although there is absolutely no need to do so for a long time.

I chose the Samsung 30nm Green 8gb memory kit - and I must say it offers absolutely AMAZING value, easily reaching 2133mhz within safe voltages.
The processor isn't far behind, reaching 4ghz on stock cooling within really acceptable temperatures, almost never gets maxed no matter what I throw at it - result :D
And lastly the motherboard with onboard sound as good as my old add-on card and allowing me more O/C options than I ever had as well as plenty of headroom for upgrades and more O/C.

All in all the upgrade cost me 408$ + around 100$ for the Q6700 step. I probably could have had a better rig had I not bought that Quad but it lasted for a good few months and offered me more performace where I needed it - as my old core was struggling. It's great now, I can do whatever I want with no bottlenecks, even background tasks don't choke it :p

CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler is in post and on the way, as soon as I get it I will push for 4.5ghz + - hopefully I can reach 5ghz within acceptable temps. If not, 4.5 is more than sufficient and I still need to upgrade my GPU.

I was thinking about CrossFire HD5770, since I have one already, I could just get another one. Most Crossfire tests of these cards I've seen are promising although only videos posted show 5770CF on AMD Phenom processors, which aren't half as good as mine :p Hopefully it would run even better with my setup. If not, then upgrade to an HD7850 would be enough for me, keeping good power consumption while adding performance.

Last edited:
the q9550 would be a pretty good upgrade. I know there is one here in the classifieds section, I thought about picking up.

I'll have to disagree. I would recommend selling what you have an actually upgrading. Buy a new CPU, MB and ram and move up. Grab an i5 2500k and go for it. 775 is now waaay behind the times, and instead of spending $120 on a Q9550, get a 2500k for $179.

Correct. If he can afford it, upgrade. I should have mentioned the afford it part. lol
While it may be a little more expensive to buy a new CPU, MB and ram, in the long run, it may be better to spend $150 bucks more now and completely upgrade, then put a bandaid on an outdated system. That is my opinion anyway...

The q9550 is a good proc. I do recall they made a 65w version and a 95w version. Not sure if there are any internal differences. I have mine at 3.4 w/ ddr3 1600, runs nearly as quick as a new system, outbenches some of the I5s in various testing using aida64, but obviously overall, the 2500 is a superior proc. But that being said, I love my q9550 and will never get rid of it!!! One of the first great quad cores and still keeps up with the new stuff @ 3.4

It would be great if I could get me some of that Sandy Bridge.

But overall everyone happy with 9550 then, as it's own cpu?

I would leave 775 behind for sure. The 9550 loses to the 2500k on everything, getting spanked on most tests. It's actually more comparable to the i3-2100! Great cpu for it's day, but doomed to high prices. My dad offered his to upgrade my Q6600. I didn't even want to do the labor for such an insignificant upgrade.

Last edited:
I love 775 but there is no logical reason to even consider putting money into it. Sell your 775 stuff.

I3 2130's go for 119.99 on Ebay. Pair that with a nice and cheap Z77 board. Like an 89.99 biostar Z77, some cheap memory and enjoy

Okay, I would agree that as far as total performance goes a full upgrade to 77/2500k would be great but if he just wants to spend ~$100 the Q9550 would be a great way to go.

Last edited:
Okay, I would agree that as far as total performance goes a full upgrade to 1155/2500k would be great but if he just wants to spend ~$100 the Q9550 would be a great way to go.

Thats 100 you could be putting to a far better processor and where are you going to get a Q9550 for 100 bucks? I still see them at 300 bucks.

Here's a bench between an I3 2100 and a Q9550.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=289

Q gets eaten alive

Okay, I would like you to show me where I was arguing about total performance gain with the upgrades. Second there is a Q9550 for sale in the classifieds here for $130.

Not everyone has unlimited funds or a need for speed, my wife would be fine with a Celeron D for what she uses a computer for.

Anyway so perhaps you will understand when I post it this time, I agree that if he has the budget for it he should upgrade to 77/SB or IB but if he is not looking to spend a bunch of money the Q9550 would be a decent upgrade over the Proc he has now.

Good day sir.....I said good day.

Should wait until he can budget then. If we're going to use the Classifieds for parts, then one might as well watch it for something newer. Makes sense to me. $130 for a meager upgrade to an old system just doesn't make sense.

Since the OP is talking gaming performance here, he might not see much of any depending on what video card he has anyway.

HD5770 to anwser SteveLord

As for that benchmark, I seem to have a different opinion to Don. It looks as if they are on par with both losing out to each other in different areas, with any difference being borderline insignificant to mediocre at best for what seems a far more laborious and expensive update.
Thing is, if I were to update all of the system, I would probably not bother getting bottom line cores, rather invest in something solid with lots of headroom or go all out just to get a hyper threading i7.

Eitherway, take a budget of £150.

Ok, even with the Q9550 at $130, a 2500K can be had for $169 at Microcenter. I'm sure it can be found many places for under $180. A Q9550 simply isn't worth the money. If it was $75 maybe but at $130 it is no where near worth it.

With a budget of 150 quid, I would say wait and save up some money. No sense in buying a new 775 processor and ram. It's just not worth it.

Can I ask a question? What exactly do you do with your PC? Are you a gamer? If it's a gaming machine then you have a few options.

If you can get a Q6600 or Q9550 for CHEAP then I'd say go that route. But this would have to be cheap cheap, not more than 100$. If you get the Q6600 then OC that baby and your golden.

If on the other hand your set on upgrading the entire machine you have a few choices available to you depending on where you want to go. I have a G850 Sandy Bridge machine with a Geforce 560 and 8 gigs of ram in it that is ALMOST as fast as my Q9550. A good Socket 1155 board, 8 gigs of cheap DDR3 ram (40 bucks on newegg), and however much you have left for the processor. I am running the G850 until I can save up enough to go to either a 2500K or 3570k but for right now that G850 is very fast for a dual core for gaming.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

He clearly wants to simply upgrade his 775 to a better proc, is that too much to ask? So what he can get an 2500k for cheap he also needs a new motherboard new memory new heatsink etc etc, let him do what he wants.

Back