• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im using RealTemp and my temps are fine :) Im getting around 40-50 degrees in normal usage. Max that it can possibly go to is 73ish with extreme Blend tests.

And actually the link that you posted, I have come across myself in some earlier research :p TBH I probably should have gone Gigabyte or ASUS, seems the most common choice for overclocking and everyone understands it.

Still, can't be all too bad :)

i'am with you

He clearly wants to simply upgrade his 775 to a better proc, is that too much to ask? So what he can get an 2500k for cheap he also needs a new motherboard new memory new heatsink etc etc, let him do what he wants.

i upgraded from amd 1800+ 1533 mhz to p4 2.8 msi 775 board,then i got the need 4 speed,i then purchaseed a computer for $310 with a q6600 c2q.well i can say that i was over the moon on the difference,i was lucky i cos the mobo is a ep45-ds4p. i then deved in the relm of o/clocking,after some scouting around on the net, i found some bios settings that reflected my m/board and gave it a go. i can tell u that i bumped my q6600 to a stable 3.4 ghz.i have since sold my q6600 and purchased a q8400 @2660 mhz,stock. i now have it running at 3704mhz, thats a 39.9 overclock,with a freezer 13 heatsink.temps are 40- 67c. my point is i'll stay with my 775 until i realy find out wat it can do. cheers;)

Im using RealTemp and my temps are fine :) Im getting around 40-50 degrees in normal usage. Max that it can possibly go to is 73ish with extreme Blend tests.

And actually the link that you posted, I have come across myself in some earlier research :p TBH I probably should have gone Gigabyte or ASUS, seems the most common choice for overclocking and everyone understands it.

Still, can't be all too bad :)

I find Gigabyte's BIOS is more confusing. Asrock and Asus are pretty similar.

Any BIOS takes time to figure out and if you are used to 1 manufacturer there is a slightly higher learning curve to switch to another. With a little experimentation and research you can figure it out.

i upgraded from amd 1800+ 1533 mhz to p4 2.8 msi 775 board,then i got the need 4 speed,i then purchaseed a computer for $310 with a q6600 c2q.well i can say that i was over the moon on the difference,i was lucky i cos the mobo is a ep45-ds4p. i then deved in the relm of o/clocking,after some scouting around on the net, i found some bios settings that reflected my m/board and gave it a go. i can tell u that i bumped my q6600 to a stable 3.4 ghz.i have since sold my q6600 and purchased a q8400 @2660 mhz,stock. i now have it running at 3704mhz, thats a 39.9 overclock,with a freezer 13 heatsink.temps are 40- 67c. my point is i'll stay with my 775 until i realy find out wat it can do. cheers;)

I used to run an E6300 @ 2.1ghz or something like that which was the best the board could do. Upgraded that to a Q6700 and ran it @3.15ghz which made a massive difference to performance but that is about it for the 775 socket - without going all out for a 9550 or better cpu and a suitable P45 motherboard, not much more could have been achieved.

I now have a 2500k which runs stable at 4.7ghz, Ram which runs stable at 2133mhz and I have doubled it's capacity as well which was necessary for certain games.
Temps with the new cooler stay around 45-55 degrees under normal load. Only stress-testing can push that up to 70ish but thats still well within acceptable limits. Performance wise, old socket gets thrashed now. Only thing left to upgrade is the GPU, and once I will up that to an HD7950, there will be no more bottlenecks anywhere in the system. And no more need to upgrade. But because of the board, if I wanted to, I could put in a 3770k thus maxing what is possible with that socket and getting almost to the limits of what is possible right now. - or I can wait 10 years and then upgrade again to a 16 core - 2TB DDR6 ram monster which we will all consider to be a basic home PC.

Point is, with a Q8400, you are pretty much on the ragged edge of what 775 can do and it just doesn't make sense to do steps this small that cost this much money for every upgrade of the core - thats why I went all-out for a newer setup which still didn't cost much more than a simple upgrade to a better 775 core would.

Back