• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Print Server [Project Log]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So...I finally decided to start the process of designing then 3D Printing my SFF HTPC Case, hence the name, "Print Server" (lame pun, I know...)

Some pre-requisite info is in order

I am not particularly skilled in "Design", let alone in Computer Aided Design so my build is probably gonna look like *** without your feedback.

1. Plastic is not as strong as steel, so there are design considerations which must take that fact into account.
  2. Read #2 again. Twice. There are some things I just won't be able to do, design-wise, with PLA plastic because it simply lacks the strength of steel/Aluminum. Drive Cages are an example which illustrates that fact nicely.
  3. My 3D Printer build area is about 11.5x6x6.5. This is smaller than the mITX form factor calls for. Therefore, I have to be creative in my design since I can't simply print a 6.7"x6.7" motherboard tray.
  4. PLA Plastic, while stronger than ABS, is far more "brittle" so the joints where different pieces meet must be designed with this in mind. It does no good to have a kick-*** looking case that breaks when you pick it up or bump it.
  5. Currently, my plan is to use a mITX based motherboard and use the integrated graphics. While it would be nice to throw something together that can take the latest GeForce GTX Titan Black or R290X for an uber gaming experience, I'm trying to keep the design small. That necessitates the use of a Pico-ITX Power supply, which isn't up to the task of powering a Titan or 290X.
  6. The process of making a case out of a material like steel is seemingly more simple than it would appear for at least a couple reasons, off the top of my head:
  • Bending it in certain ways allows one to strnegthen the piece while keeping weight to a minimum.
  • Riveting two or more pieces together lets one join different pieces while maintaining strength at the joint.
When using plastic, these design tricks aren't possible. Working with printed plastic requires the creation of complex connection points that allow the joining of multiple pieces while not putting too much stress on any part of the connection so the PLA plastic doesn't snap at the connection point. (If using something like a snap-together model-type joint)

Now...with these pre-requisites stated, the features I'm looking for are:

• 4K Resolution support as well as normal 1080p (I use a 50" Seiki in the Living Room)
  • 10/100/1000 Networking (wired)
  • BlueTooth (connectivity for Keyboard/Trackball & my Tablets)
  • Good Sound Card (May use the expansion slot for that, but good integrated is preferred)
  • Wi-Fi (Optional)
  • USB 3.0 (for external BluRay RW connectivity and TV Tuner connectivity)
  • (2) Mounts for Drives (SSD for OS and Media Drive, up to 4TB)
What am I missing in the features department?

Now...with all that said here's a pic of my prototype Multi-joint corner piece. It serves as the "foot" of the case; It allows connection to 2 "support beams" that make up part of the "frame" of the case; And, it provides a connection point for the trick motherboard tray I have bouncing around in my head...which I'll share later...

Attachments

• MultiJoint.jpg
    MultiJoint.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 187
This is a temporary mock-up that's been color-coded to show the different major pieces.

I'm currently using the Hex Mesh from my Fan Grills as side panels so I can look through them as I spin the case around to see how things line up. I plan to change them because I don't want to see a bunch of flashing lights in my entertainment center while I'm trying to watch TV

GElGBNZ

Attachments

• GElGBNZ.jpg
    GElGBNZ.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Same layout, different colors so I am not looking at something that Beau Brummel vomited up after a hard night drinking Tequila

Attachments

• BY.jpg
    BY.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 182
Just curious what program do you use to build this?

I do some work in TinkerCAD and some work in 123Design. Both are Freeware for non commercial use and both run in your browser so there really isn't a large install footprint on your drive.

They aren't as powerful as, say, Blender, OpenSCAD, or FreeCAD but they are quick ways to get started with the design work.

I don't want to rush this too much and find halfway through that I am going down the wrong path, design-wise, so I took most of today off to make some Fan Hats for my Noctuas.

I'll be starting the design of the side/top panels tonight and tomorrow...that requires some creativity I don't have while sober so I may need beer.

So you are printing a case for your rig?
:thup:

How large can this bad boy print? (I thought 3d printers were small?)

nvm. I didn't read all the first post :facepalm:

I've been a bit under the weather (tonsillitis...just not "quite" bad enough to have them removed) so my work output has suffered

I'll be printing out an updated version of the "junction connector" from my initial post tomorrow or Sunday along with a mock up of the frame rail so I can show you all how they connect like a snap-together model.

I finally came up with some ideas for the side panels (which is one of the reasons why it's been slow-going thus far...)

Now that I have some idea of how it's going to look (at leat, in my head) I went ahead and ordered Red, Black, Yellow, White, and Neon Green spools of filament today.

I need to get crackin' and e-file my taxes so I can get another printer for ABS Plastic...geez I never procrastinate like this normally.

Back