• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have decided to go Dothan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was just saying what I got with the p4c800-e Dlx... It's supposedly the best board out there for Dothan Overclocking.

I actually got the p4c800-e dlx to try and get a higher fsb.... however the two boards I've tried only reach about 260fsb. I was hoping for around 280fsb to increase my ram performance. However, my roommate now has a p4p800-se up to about 275... much higher than what my board could handle. Overall the main factor is the chip. If I had to do it again, I would use the extra cash from buying the cheaper motherboard to buy three chips and sell the two worst performers on ebay. I went through three chips until I found this 730 that OC's to 2.97 on a peltier.

I couldn't resist.

My system has been running 200x12 for nearly a month and a half now and the fever caught me again :D It seems that 205x12 is the max i can do on stock volts (4x512RAM at 2,5 225, 2,65v).

Will up the vcore a bit and see what i can do then..i'd like 210x12 or probably 216x12 (which i KNOW is the max my board and ram can do, i just want the lowest possible vcore)

Mind you that my entire system cooling consists of tree 92mm and one 120mm running 12v...love the silence :) max temp i've gotten so far is about 45 - 47 celcius, nothing to worry about.

Look at this post on 2cpu, the name of that image is little_yonah. Can you tell s479 or LGA775? It seems that Yonah will be used on servers.

Muahaha. 205x12 whacked out of prime after 20 hours :D

Upped the vcore with 0.1v to 1.456, now priming for 208x12 (2.5Ghz)

Help PLEASE!!!

Situation:

"New" P4P800 SE MB:
P4 works fine.
BIOS updated correctly to 10.04 using P4.
"new" Dothan+479 - no post.
"old" Dothan+CT479 - no post

"old" P4P800 SE:
"new" Dothan+479 - works fine
"old" Dothan+479 - works fine.

I even switched power cable, no diff at all.

I am running out of ideas. Help please!!

Well, did an update on my Dothan rig and changed out the Dothan 735 I had for a Sonoma 730 that I bought off eBay; was a pull from a dropped Dell. I only had time before going back to work last week to drop it in and run it at 200 X 12 with stock vcore. It ran like that all week OK and when I got in from the rig tonight I decided to start testing to see how high it will go. Right now I have it running at 210 X 12, still with stock vcore and it passed a 32M SuperPi with no problems. I'm now testing it out folding for a day or so before going higher. Looks like this 730 is a real keeper. :thup:

I'll have to also do some testing to see what the BH5 I have in it will do too. I do have a ddr booster around to give the ram more juice though, but I want to see what I can run it at without the booster first.

Last edited:
Galileo,

Check whether the system boots with the P4 again...check the mobo / chip for *any* visible damage.

Sometimes the adapter just causes trouble, and you have to remove it and mount it again to fix it.

*note*

208 FSB failed prime at 1.488v...now for 1.504

Last edited:
Lat, check the pins on the adapter. those break off way too easy. try looking from different angles, can't always see a pin missing right away.

muddocktor said:
Well, did an update on my Dothan rig and changed out the Dothan 735 I had for a Sonoma 730 that I bought off eBay; was a pull from a dropped Dell. I only had time before going back to work last week to drop it in and run it at 200 X 12 with stock vcore. It ran like that all week OK and when I got in from the rig tonight I decided to start testing to see how high it will go. Right now I have it running at 210 X 12, still with stock vcore and it passed a 32M SuperPi with no problems. I'm now testing it out folding for a day or so before going higher. Looks like this 730 is a real keeper. :thup:

I'll have to also do some testing to see what the BH5 I have in it will do too. I do have a ddr booster around to give the ram more juice though, but I want to see what I can run it at without the booster first.

Do the Sonoma core mobile ships have the same basic specs as the Dothan?

Is the cache the same and is the core itself built similar and run as efficiantly as the Dothan?

Im wondering if it completes as many units per work cycle?

Thanks

Wardog

Sonoma is the codename for the mobile version of the i915 chipset (i915M IIRC). Dothan is the processor that is ideally paired with that chipset.

Dothan + Sonoma + 2200BG wLAN = current generation "Centrino" system.

I think i got my Dothan (well, actually my RAM) maxed, finally.

Stuck at just beloew 2.6Ghz, 215x12 (2580Mhz) at 1.504 vcore. Prime solid and temps below 55 celcius. Remember, this is 4x512MB BH5 at 2,5 225 holding me back.

Will run it that way everyday now..nice improvement over the former 2.4Ghz. And the noise is still...well..kinda non-existent :D

ihrsetrdr said:
That's probably why I had trouble finding it on newegg. :shrug: Just call me Intel ignorant ! :eek:

LOL dont worry me too.

I was like HHMM another mobile chip to research and I couldnt find anything,LOL.

Thats why I asked that question, hahha.

Im a Intel noob too and trying to learn some of the stuff that is taken for granite(spelling?) by other members is usually the same things that throw me.

Im personaly hoping that Trats or Merlin or Tic Tac etc might get a hold of a
P4Gd1 BIOS and enable a BIOS lock on the PCI express.
I think the chip set will do it but the BIOS was never locked.

Anyway that would be the way to go I think.
It seems to be capable of pretty dang high clocks even without the lock but I think with it the board would be even faster.

Dothan + PCIexpress = PWNAGE

lol

Wardog

Back