• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never (and still am not) a fan of BTC investing. I don't know enough about the market, and I would rather not risk my hard-mined money on trading BTC, so I never put money into Bitcoinica. I actually didn't hear what happened?

Someone hacked in and stole 18,000+ btc. They shut it down to investigate,but it hasn't come back up. There is like 60 pages of posts on the topic at the bitcointalk forums. I heard that it was sold to intersango or something also.

Every other time that there was a big break-in, the price of btc dropped, but not this time. Perhaps a sign of a steadying btc market?

The fun thing about a peer to peer currency... without peer review and control it's a wild west.

A currency could be safer and more stable being completely transparent without encryption by simply having crowd reviewing and archiving of transactions.

I think bitcoin is very transparent. You know exactly how much is produced, it a set amount. No manipulation by those with power over the printing press. Also, transactions can be seen and tracked in the blockchain.

Does anyone here mine on linux? I was going to set up a mining rig with w couple of cards that I have sitting here. I have xp or ubuntu for o/s, but I think xp doesn't work well does it?

I don't see why XP wouldn't work well. :shrug:

I've never gotten my miners running on Linux, but from what I've read, it's not too difficult.

ok i cant seem to got on my miner site
https://www.btcguild.com/
im glad i got all my Bitcoins out yesterday!
what place should i mine at?

The largest pools have been receiving DDOS attacks lately. Deepbit, BTCGuild and I believe Slush were all hit yesterday at different times. The page wasn't loading for me either, so I would move to another pool (any works, really). I use cgminer for my mining program, so I have a backup pool set. I usually mine proportional on deepbit, but have a few others set for backup.

They had something on there yesterday about a ddos attack. I am sure it is fine. You just need an alternate set up. That used to happen all of the time.

BTC Value has gone up quite a bit the last few days. Up at 6.19 right now. I always think that I should cash out when the prices go up like this, but I never do.

BTC Value has gone up quite a bit the last few days. Up at 6.19 right now. I always think that I should cash out when the prices go up like this, but I never do.

Same. I'm just using the increase in price as justification to buy more 5870's. LOL I got a couple of steals on 5870's the last two days so I'll be adding ~800mhash to my mining operation coming up.

I'm a believer that the coin value will slowly rise continuously so this rise is just expected for me.

Got a nice little rig going. It's a nice upgrade from what I was using. :D

20120620_193833.jpg

Currently has 2x 5870 and 2x 5830 with another 5870 on the way. :D

Sorry about the poor quality, was taken on meh phone.

I dont have any spare motherboards that have more than 2 pcie slots. What board are you running?
I haven't put my 7970 to work. I am a little hesitant after loosing my 5780 lightning to the bitcoins. I am currently only running a 5770 and a 5870 on water.

I'm running a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P. It only has two 16x pci-e slots, but I'm using risers in all the pci-e slots. Since it has three 1x pci-e slots, I effectively have 5 slots for mining. Then it's just paired with 4gb of my hypers (running at very loose timings) an my Phenom II 555 @ stock.

Do you want to trade a athlon x2 245 for that 555? LOL. That seems like a waste for a 555 with as many people as there are looking for those for benching.

Where do you get the risers?

I got the risers at www.bitcointalk.org. Bought them with bitcoins too. :D

I'd like to keep the 555. I still have all my benchmarking hardware and I plan to continue eventually. The chip is running at stock so there should be little/no degradation over time.

I can't imagine that the gts 250 makes more than it costs in power to run it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back