• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 5770 vs 3870 x2 + one more question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hdub00

I currently own a XFX Radeon 5770 and was browsing newegg and found a radeon 3870 x2 for cheap.

I loaded both cards into HWCompare.com, and the 3870x2 is getting a batter Pixel rate than my 5770.

Is the 3870 better for gaming? If not, what can I buy in the 125~$ dollar range that would be better than my 5770?

thanks!

PS, strictly for gaming, I dont work on my home computer.

Would it be better to buy another 5770 to run in crossfire with my current one? I just recently got a motherboard that has 3 pci 3.0 slots and supports crossfire.

Xfire is rarely a good idea for low end cards. Same for SLI. Xfire/SLI are benefited best at high resolutions on higher end cards.

Speaking of; what resolution ARE you running?

1920x1080, as of tonight im running a Deneb Phenom 920 Quad core at 2.8ghz, and 4gb of DDR2 with my 5770.

Ordered a New mobo, 12 gb of ddr3, and a quad core i5(3.2 or 3.6, cant remember), will be installed and set up tomorrow.

Next month I was wanting to replace my 5770, but I may as well hold on to it looks like.

Can I ask why you bought 12GB? Assuming your new setup is Sandy or Ivy bridge... They're dual channel only. 12GB was for triple channel X58 systems... >.>

Keep your HD 5770 and see how you go.. I'd save some more money and upgrade later to something more substantial like a HD 7850.

Eh, I guess I didnt do the research for the triple channel. I may send it back then. *doh*

I was told that going to the core i5 would help the gaming out alot, it should be enough till i can save up for a 7000 series.

Edit: Is there a card for 200 or less? I may be able to buy earlier if so, I saw some 7850's for 230+

Yeah it will help. Yeah send it back and replace it with a Dual Channel 8GB (2x4GB) kit before you open it. Lol. Or! Just keep the kit; keep 4GB spare in the event 4GB ever dies on you! (Or just keep the 4GB stick to the side; then if you feel like more RAM; just buy a single 4GB version and you can run 16GB of RAM in dual channel). I'd probably just do that. Assuming you bought 3x4GB.

Yeah it will help. Yeah send it back and replace it with a Dual Channel 8GB (2x4GB) kit before you open it. Lol. Or! Just keep the kit; keep 4GB spare in the event 4GB ever dies on you! (Or just keep the 4GB stick to the side; then if you feel like more RAM; just buy a single 4GB version and you can run 16GB of RAM in dual channel). I'd probably just do that. Assuming you bought 3x4GB.

Yeah I did buy a set of 3x4, Ill probably order one more when I get my graphics card.

Would the nV 560 Fermi 1gb be a big upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

It'd be a decent upgrade yes. But..

XFX HD 6870 1GB

Is faster than non-TI 560s. Whereby non-ti is the model you linked. 20 bucks cheaper too after rebates. I'd go with the XFX HD 6870 =). That's a decent bump in performance.

HD 5770 vs HD 6870

GTX 560 non TI vs HD 6870

I suppose between the HD 6870 vs 560 non ti; it's also game based. As in what games you play more. But for 20 bucks cheaper; I'd definitely buy the HD 6870. Note the HD 6870 is a little more power efficient too.

Back