• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming / HD Movie System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreyReaver

I am building a gaming and HD movie system and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on the below build:

System Core
Motherboard: XFX nVidia 780i
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz) or Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad-Core 2.66GHz
RAM: 2 x OCZ DDR2-800 Reaper 2048MB w/ Heatpipe Cooling
Video Card: 2 x XFX GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX PCI-Express

Storage
Hard Drive: Western Digital SATA VelociRaptor 300GB
CD / DVD: Lite-On Blu-ray Burner SATA (black) w/ Software

Case / Cooling
Case: Antec P182 (Gunmetal Finish)
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (775) & Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound
Case Mods: AcoustiPack Acoustic Composite Sheets & Smart Drive 2002C Enclosure for VelociRaptor

Software
Microsoft Office 2007 Basic

What resolution do you game at? Unless its 1900x1200 or higher get a single 8800GTS 512mb instead, the 9800GTX is just a slightly overclocked 8800GTS 512mb.

I am building a gaming and HD movie system and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on the below build:

System Core
Motherboard: XFX nVidia 780i
Good choice for since you want SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0 GHz) or Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad-Core 2.66GHz
See comments bellow
RAM: 2 x OCZ DDR2-800 Reaper 2048MB w/ Heatpipe Cooling
I haven't heard much about how well this OC's but it should be fine. I have never cared for the Reaper's due to the cooling solution, just to much potential for future clearance issues. I would go with G.Skill and just a little air flow will keep them cool enough.
Video Card: 2 x XFX GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
New cards are coming this month, wait if at all possible. Otherwise you may look at the 8800GTS, your not losing hardly anything in performance and are saving a lot. Although budget does not appear to be a concern,
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX PCI-Express
Not my one of my areas of knowledge, I'll leave it for others to comment on.

Storage
Hard Drive: Western Digital SATA VelociRaptor 300GB
I/m jealous. The WD 640GB drive would make a nice companion for storage.
CD / DVD: Lite-On Blu-ray Burner SATA (black) w/ Software
No clue on this one either.

Case / Cooling
Case: Antec P182 (Gunmetal Finish)
Nice quiet, yet breezy case.
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
Might want to look at something a little larger if you end up with the next gen cards. They look like they are going to be power hungry. For 9800GTX's it is fine, I would drop down to a 620HX for the modular capability.
CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (775) & Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound
Go with something a little better if you get a quad. TRUE, Tuniq, Zerotherm 120mm are all good coolers
Case Mods: AcoustiPack Acoustic Composite Sheets & Smart Drive 2002C Enclosure for VelociRaptor
From the early hands on previews it is shaping up to be a very, very quiet drive. The HD mount may be unnecessary. You may also want to look into replacing the case fans. The Tricools are very quiet on low but move very little air. On medium and high they are just to loud for me. I really like the Scythe Slipstreams. Go for one of the lower RPM models for a nice CFM/Db ratio for a good price to boot.

Software
It depends. My defacto answer is 64bit. But look at your software and hardware you plan on using and make sure there are no driver or other known problems. Some older periphials and some software(even some recent stuff) may have issues. Most things that will have trouble not just with 64bit but Vista in genereal
Microsoft Office 2007 Basic

You have certainly done your homework. I honestly cannot remember the last time I have seen a build thread this thought of and researched. Well done.

mine? The first post I ever posted.

IN regards to the sound card, it's good though it does not support EAX5 for games. If you care about this feature, go for the azuen audigy 7.1 sound card.

for cooling, get yourself a custom made wc setup and never turn back! Also, I rather the MX-2 over TX-2.

IMO, vista 64 or xp 32. One thread talked about random crashes of 32 vista. I'm using the 32bit vista but it works fine for me. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones?

Only problem I have had in Vista is with nVidia cards.

First problems was 3d mode caused freexing/crashing. Was told it was because I had an ati card in the machine before.

Reinstalled Vista and got a couple of BSODs but once I updated its been smooth ever since.

Iniitally was V32 ultimate, but I reinstalled with 64bit. Updated and no problems yet (keeps fingers crossed)

Looks good, but I'd skip the 9800GTXs in favor of 8800GTS-512s though. Not much gain for a bunch more money. I'd even think about getting an EVGA or BFG 9800GX2, it'll perform the same as a pair of GTS or a little worse than the GTX, and cost somewhere in the middle. I think they're down to $480 after rebate now. That way, you can step up to a GTX 280 or 260 in a few weeks. Also consider bumping up to the TX750 since you are going with an SLI mobo..

If he lives in a place where they cost the same, I'll say go for the 9800gtx. In my place, that's the case.

But if not, yeah, go with evga and step up.

9800GX2 would be a better choice, and the e8400 is the way to go, higher clocked dual cores > lower clocked quad cores for most stuff :D

Wait until the 4xxx X2 cards. (imo)

Supposedly cheapo, or you can get a 3870X2 or two 8800GT's for ~$300.

Change burner to Samsung SH-203B or SH-203N if you want Lightscribe.
Cheap 2x1GB kit (G.Skill or your favorite, they are all mostly $50)
or
G.Skill $85 4GB kit

Hi All,

Thank-you for all of your help and advice. I have narrowed down my build to the below items. I made a few adjustments to bring the final price sub 2k, there are also about $100 in mail in rebates that expire 6/16, so I have a few days for any tweak recommendations :)

Oh, and I will eventually be getting either the Radeon 4870 HD X2 ($499ish) or the GTX 280 ($600ish) ; unless the god's intervene on my behalf. ;)

Intel GameStation

NewEgg Wish List:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6274034&WishListTitle=Intel

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $139.99
XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard - $249.99
XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB - $179.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply - $129.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz - $194.99
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) $109.99
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA - $299.99
LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-08 - $139.99
ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card - $149.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit - $179.99
Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound - $3.79
(3) Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fans -$26.97
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 CPU Cooler - $49.99

Subtotal: $1,855.65

Last edited:
Just a suggestion. Add another hard drive for storage of movies and music and data. Makes back ups much easier and in case of issues, you don't lose all the data you've spent so much time ripping.
Plus with new games, they are gonna suck your drive dry. Mass Effect is 12g installed. Won't take many of those plus OS and utilities to fill a 300g drive. Each movie you rip in standard def is 5-8gs hi def is 18 -25g. get my drift?

I would probably scrap the burner in favor of a Blu-Ray player. As far as I know the Blu-Ray players can still burn DVDs.

What are you using for a monitor, just curious?

Scrapping the bluRay burner for just a player was my thought too.
I'm using a 22" Samsung LCD HDTV Monitor.

Just a suggestion. Add another hard drive for storage of movies and music and data. Makes back ups much easier and in case of issues, you don't lose all the data you've spent so much time ripping.
Plus with new games, they are gonna suck your drive dry. Mass Effect is 12g installed. Won't take many of those plus OS and utilities to fill a 300g drive. Each movie you rip in standard def is 5-8gs hi def is 18 -25g. get my drift?

I will eventually add the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $109.99

Last edited:
Back