• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will an underpowered PC affect gaming performance ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you can still grab a Phenom II X6 then I'd defnitely get it. I miss my old Penom II X6, so much faster than my current FX-8120 in so many things.

I wonder how much longer before Phenom II X6 actually outdates lol, but is 3.0GHZ enough ? Since im under budget too , 3.0 its already 600+ here if not mistaken.

But the gaming magazine i read , local magazine company. They too is only running a Phenom II X6 , what GHZ im not sure.....

Which model is that Phenom X6? We can't tell you whether its good for an overclock without that info

Bad news i guess i wont be getting a Phenom II , because....i check with the stores today, they no longer import any more Phenom II , all have been sold out no more new stocks. So now they only selling FX for AMD

Uh they have FX 4100 , 6100 , 8120 , 8150.

I prefer that i just pop it in my Mobo and run it without fuss , i dont do overclocking.

So is FX4100 , good enough? 1 Thing im still confuse about CPU , isnt that the important is the GHZ and Cache ? More CORES doesnt mean better no ? Because i heard that almost all the games barely uses the multi core's function. Instead it causes our game to crash , which i had experience it

im not sure how that is, i have never had a problem because i was running a quad core. to a point more cores will help in gaming but if the game is only coded to use 2 cores. then the only way to get more peformance when your video card is top of the line is higher cpu speed.

BF3 will use 3 cores though thats about it. Always good to have a core free for Windows stuff

I guess its depends on the game. Uh i think most modern games now will start to use multi cores.

I forget to point out i think the game i play was rather old, well its not that old , at that time the multi cores are already been released long ago i think.

But maybe developers never create the game to use it i guess.

It was Dragon Age Origins and i think i had a few more other games crashes when im using multi core , had to turn down to 2 cores or maybe 1,but i forgot what games and whether is old or new

In that case most my questions are solved !

Tks guys

Well i guess like u said about my CPU , maybe during PC Vantage it didnt needed that much " power " so it turn out fine , while some games when it needed my CPU most and it fails and causes lag.

Another problem is , im itching to get a new PC , well i dont know about u guys , even building a mid range gaming rig here aint cheap and im still a student , college actually lol.

Im 1 of those POOR yet HARDCORE gamers , to be honest i even feel quite embarrass being here , surrounded by overkill PC owners like u all :(

But i do plan to swap out everything , no point changing my CPU now, i think my Mboard is old , even my RAM is only DDR2, i prefer AMD too so i need get a AM3+ Socket Mboard

For now i maybe plan to change my GPU and PSU once again.

In that case guys , for the time being , what should i get for a better CPU ? FX-4 3.6 GHZ or the Phenom II X6 3.0 GHZ , this is the budget i plan for future might change though since well maybe when the time i really change my whole PC , new CPU might have release
If you are short on money, but want something really cool, I recommend building a system using stuff that cost thousands of dollars and was simply THE BEST several years ago. like 2007's version of a Quad GTX680 dual E5-2687W workstation rig. Maybe a Skulltrail mobo with dual C2Q QX9775s and Four HD 3870/4870s? I did something like this, cost me barely $500 and plays everything latest(On DirectX 10 XD) like a dream.

Sad thing is yes older stuffs is cheaper of course. But once its sold out here, they will no longer bring in any more stocks. Like AMD GPU now , u can say we no longer able to find anymore 6000 series , now they only have 7000 series on the shelves. For 7000 , well its least 7850 its consider good if u ask me which is a whopping 800 bucks , with 800 bucks u could gotten something like 6870 or maybe even 6950.

But of course i think 7850 its hell lot stronger, but once again , money problem lol.

I wanted to go for a 6850 , my friend got it maybe 2 GB ver , its decent. But they no longer have stock , so i think the HD 7770 OC its the closes version now. Still it costs around 500 like the old 6850 1GB , 2 GB is 600.

GPU and the PSU are the most expensive parts of a PC if u ask me !

Even a 400 - 500 bucks motherboard its decent enough for gaming , so are processors.

RAM is the cheapest even gaming series.

Well for SSD that's just crazy lol , 1 TB SSD here is 3 - 4 K i think , which u can get the best GPU out there now !

Sad thing is yes older stuffs is cheaper of course. But once its sold out here, they will no longer bring in any more stocks. Like AMD GPU now , u can say we no longer able to find anymore 6000 series , now they only have 7000 series on the shelves. For 7000 , well its least 7850 its consider good if u ask me which is a whopping 800 bucks , with 800 bucks u could gotten something like 6870 or maybe even 6950.

But of course i think 7850 its hell lot stronger, but once again , money problem lol.

I wanted to go for a 6850 , my friend got it maybe 2 GB ver , its decent. But they no longer have stock , so i think the HD 7770 OC its the closes version now. Still it costs around 500 like the old 6850 1GB , 2 GB is 600.

GPU and the PSU are the most expensive parts of a PC if u ask me !

Even a 400 - 500 bucks motherboard its decent enough for gaming , so are processors.

RAM is the cheapest even gaming series.

Well for SSD that's just crazy lol , 1 TB SSD here is 3 - 4 K i think , which u can get the best GPU out there now !
._. my local Best Buy hasn't started selling 2012 Graphics Cards yet. They still sell 8400GTs.

Seriously = 0 ? My country its usually slow on all this new things , but now everywhere its already selling 7000 series and 600 series cards.

But we only have 3 - 4 brands. Sapphire , ASUS , Gigabyte , Leadtek and MSI (Very rare to see ) , i saw Power Color once , in a store where a place almost no one go to lol.

I live in Texas, and the local Best Buy isn't really interested in PC components as much as others. They have 6000 and 500 series cards, but low-end ones, they only have up to the HD 6770 and the GTX 560 Ti.

6770 ? Wao...least 6790 its only worthy lol

560 Its not bad i think.

Currently the 7770 beats the 560 well yeah i know its a new tech but still a win is a win.

I hope i can get a new PC before my current one die , sounds lifeless but PC and online its the only entertainment , im not a social type of ppl i rather spend my money on my PC then going out lol. Guess im a total nerd = /

The thing that you measure performance on by looking at nVidia cards is core count and memory bus width. IE an nVidia card with 1gb of 128bit vRAM and 120 CUDA cores is gona be alot slower than something with 1gb of 256 vRAM and 150 CUDA cores. There naming convention is pretty linear also but not quite.

Well yeah thats what most ppl told me , the important is the BIT but of course the memory , clock speed etc.

Whats CUDA core ? I hear ppl saying it but when i read on the specs i dont c this

But surprisingly even the HD 7770 is only 128 BIT its still quite powerful

Well yeah thats what most ppl told me , the important is the BIT but of course the memory , clock speed etc.

Whats CUDA core ? I hear ppl saying it but when i read on the specs i dont c this

But surprisingly even the HD 7770 is only 128 BIT its still quite powerful
SLI does not mean crossfire. SLI means Scalable Link Interface, Formerly Scan Line Interleave, and works entirely differently from CFX. However, In a practical sense, SLI essentialy does the same thing as Crossfire, yes. And, memory bandwidth doesn't directly influence a card's processing capability... A CUDA core is a special thing developed by Nvidia for use in relation to GPGPU technology.HD 7770 has only 128-bit memory link? I thought it was 256, like my HD 4890. Hm.

Back