• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change team location to international?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Should Our BOINC SETI Team's "Country" Be Changed To "International"?

• No. Keep the country as the United States

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Yes. Change the country to International

Votes: 48 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
sir_LOIN said:
My point is that with Boinc we're part of a bigger whole, it's not just about a single project anymore.

For me being part of a bigger whole is merely a necessary evil. I dislike BOINC and would much prefer SETI was still a stand alone project. For me it IS about a single project. I only wish to participate in SETI and have no interest and no stake in any other BOINC project. And in my opinion participating in another BOINC project does not automatically give a person a right to vote in a Overclockers.com SETI Team poll.

Ahhh...another good point...and I pretty much feel the same..

Boinc is merely the TOOL ...SETI is the Project.....and the TEAM is based on the project not the Tool!

Like I said..I'm glad my points help the BOINC stats of Overclockers.com..but that's not the thrust of what I'm doing.

Devil's advocate for a moment....

Say I only work on BURP...yet I would like SETI to change it's affiliation from USA to International.

I'm not working on SETI...thus Not a member of the team...should I have a "Vote"?

I say "No"..I know some may not agree...but entertain me for a moment.

Take it a step further.....since I can't vote ...I decide to add SETI to my BOINC on one computer.
I upload a single W/U for Seti...and join the overclockers.com seti team..........I am now a member, and I'm ACTIVE.
Do I have a "Vote" now???

Well the simple answer is YES...you should now be listed on the team stats page..thus your a member..thus you have a VOTE.

Ok..I get a vote..I vote that I want things around here to CHANGE.

After the voting ends I simply..stop working on SETI, I just go back to BURP.

Now what?????

Does the vote still "Count"?

How does one track this to insure the validity of the "Vote" itself?? :shrug:

Just trying to make heads or tails of the situation...and now my head hurts...

Please join me for a :beer:

You Too Sir_LION......Looking at your Avitar...I just hope to GOD your one of the ones that gets "Friendly" after a few.

If your a "Mean Drunk" it's Dr. Pepper or Coca Cola...I'm not taking ANY CHANCES!!!!! :santa:

Larry

Actually the vote issue is a moot point since anyone can vote in this poll even if they do not do any distributed computing project at all and they are merely voting out of an anti-USA sentiment. That's why this poll should not in any way determine the team affiliation no matter what the number becomes.

And thanks, I think I will join you in that drink. Egg Nog and Cognac for me. :)

Ahh, but this is the "SETI" Team, there's a lot of us that don't like the idea of someone else telling us that "they've" decided that we are'nt all about SETI anymore.
Nobody asked me if I wanted to give up being all about SETI, which I don't and I realy resent anyone trying to force me to change.
Just because thier are other projects out there that Berkeley is running under boinc that should not neccessarily force a change in my choice of what I want to do with my computers. I paid for everything I built with my own money and will do what "I" want with it, which is SETI, and only SETI, and always SETI!!!!
" the seti only attitude as if only that project matters here and the rest doesn't..."
Yea, my daughter says it's muleishness, my boss says I can be damn adament, my crew and bro's use the other 'a' word. Have to admit that you know where I stand though.

KenCo said:
Actually the vote issue is a moot point since anyone can vote in this poll even if they do not do any distributed computing project at all and they are merely voting out of an anti-USA sentiment. That's why this poll should not in any way determine the team affiliation no matter what the number becomes.
How would you suggest we ever determine the wishes of our team regarding any issue then? Are you suggesting this team isn't a democracy but a dictatorship?
Although you do make a valid point, it's not as if there's hundreds of votes on this suggesting that multitudes of outsiders are wandering in and voting.

KenCo said:
...they are merely voting out of an anti-USA sentiment.
In the future when making a point about the validity of a poll or discussion you might want to try not to allow your bias to show. The outsiders you're proposing are voting on this poll could be voting out of anti-USA sentiment but they could also be voting out of pro-USA sentiment.

Stryfe said:
How would you suggest we ever determine the wishes of our team regarding any issue then? Are you suggesting this team isn't a democracy but a dictatorship?

I suggested nothing of the sort. Even in a democracy outsiders aren't allowed to participate in elections. How can a poll open to anyone who want's to respond to it - whether they're on our team or not - serve our team's best interest.

Stryfe said:
Although you do make a valid point, it's not as if there's hundreds of votes on this suggesting that multitudes of outsiders are wandering in and voting.

No, but there could be dozens for all we know. And the fact is, it seems there are only two people who are obsessed with making this change happen.

Stryfe said:
In the future when making a point about the validity of a poll or discussion you might want to try not to allow your bias to show. The outsiders you're proposing are voting on this poll could be voting out of anti-USA sentiment but they could also be voting out of pro-USA sentiment.

In the future you might not want to take quotes out of context. I believe a more accurate quote would have been "even if... they are merely voting out of anti-USA sentiment." And I hardly think you are in a position to be preaching about letting one's bias show.

No offence but i just plain dont like Canada... that is all.

Blame Canada

The point I'm making here is that this thread is naturaly going to generate strong nationalist feelings in the people that read and vote on it. Weather its people wanting to have thier own nation represented, or they wish to dis associate themselves from the US is not the issue here, and the motivation for thier choice and oppinion does not matter. The people voting are the OC Forums members, and as the OCforums team, we represent them and should listen to thier oppinions.

As for using canada...thats only cause i had to listen to a rant from some canuk recently about the slow downturn of voter turnout from the mid 60's to present... Frankly i was offended. Please dont complain about my political system - Thats for me to do. ***.

Ok, ending rant, just ignore the second paragraph if you happen to be from Canada.

KenCo said:
I suggested nothing of the sort. Even in a democracy outsiders aren't allowed to participate in elections. How can a poll open to anyone who want's to respond to it - whether they're on our team or not - serve our team's best interest.
I understand that. I should have left that democracy/dictatorship line out. You didn't answer my question though. How do you suggest we ever determine the wishes of this team regarding any issue if we can't use votes??

KenCo said:
No, but there could be dozens for all we know. And the fact is, it seems there are only two people who are obsessed with making this change happen.
I'm not sure who you're refering to nor does it matter. The fact is that many people have supported both sides of this discussion, but there are undeniably more supporting one side than the other.

KenCo said:
In the future you might not want to take quotes out of context. I believe a more accurate quote would have been "even if... they are merely voting out of anti-USA sentiment." And I hardly think you are in a position to be preaching about letting one's bias show.
After rereading your post I agree that the way I chose to display that quote does put it out of context. Still it would have been better to say something more along the lines of "they are merely voting out of anti/pro-USA sentiment"

As the person who started this thread and requested the poll I've tried to remain as objective about this as possible and allow the other team members to do the debating. Looking back through this thread I can't find one post where I've made an arguement for any one side. I have offered a rebuttal to some points but the rebuttals have been neutral in nature.

Sleepy_Steve said:
As for using canada...thats only cause i had to listen to a rant from some canuk recently about the slow downturn of voter turnout from the mid 60's to present... Frankly i was offended. Please dont complain about my political system - Thats for me to do. ***.
Whoever was ranting obviously hasn't been paying attention to politics at home. Voter turn out has been on the decline in Canada for at least the last couple decades.

Gents this is getting way out of hand. Take a step back and think before you post anything else in this thread.

You know..something that COULD get into a VERY heated debate..really hasn't...

Stryfe, Kenco, SIr_Lion..ect...ect....EVERYONE ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION, has done a really great job explaining their views and stance.

I re-read a lot of the above posts..and can say that I see a lot of thought going into these posts..

You gotta admit..this topic could have seen the discussion sink to a really LOW level..but it hasn't.... Cooler heads seem to prevail throughout!

Sure, at times it appeared to be getting ready to turn into a shouting match..but it hasn't..and that alone speaks VOLUMES!

I Defy anyone to find another site..where people disagree so Agreeably!

It must be the fact that we really are a TEAM...
Our commonality comes first..our differences last!

Everyone here has an Opinion on the subject...and eventually we will come some form of agreement on the status of the team.

Some will not like the decision..and some will.
Hopefully when everything washes out..the Majority of the team will be happy..and the rest will have to come to grips with the decision.

Or if they simply can't live with the decision, they will persue other teams or other projects that reflect their feelings on the subject.

I hope these will be few and far between..because as I said before.."We unite under the Overclockers Banner".

Way to disagree!!! Above Board!!!

Crunch on.. (Now that we can again get work!)

Larry
:cool:

I see there are roughly twice as many votes for International, thus I'm changing it to that. Case closed.

Thanks TC - making a decision that is tough no matter what you decide is not a fun task! We live in a world of grey, there are rarely black and white issues where one choice pleases everyone.

Thanks also to everyone for voting and for communicating your thoughts and concerns - I think it is fair to say this issue has been well vetted.

Now that the decision has been made - let's get back on target and focus on uniting under the Overclockers team banner that we all respect - time to kick some major butt! I for one have a new toy I'll be deploying over my upcoming winter holidays - more info soon :)

Enk

Last edited:
When 46 people, likely not even all from this team, can speak for over two thousand, it's time for me to move on. So not without some sadness I have left Overclockers.com and joined Team SETI.USA.

KenCo said:
When 46 people, likely not even all from this team, can speak for over two thousand, it's time for me to move on. So not without some sadness I have left Overclockers.com and joined Team SETI.USA.

I am sorry you feel this way. I wish you luck on your new team and you will be welcome back here anytime.

Appears there are going to be some openings in the top 10! I'ld like to add the disappointment I feel for the small percentage who even bothered to vote.

"When 46 people, likely not even all from this team, can speak for over two thousand, it's time for me to move on. So not without some sadness I have left Overclockers.com and joined Team SETI.USA."

KenCo said:

Although I understand the decision that was made, I do agree with what KenCo has said, and have also taken the same course of action.

Larry

KenCo said:
You know it's not that 46 people spoke for the whole team. The people that didn't vote either chose not to, didn't care, or are not even aware of this vote because they don't frequent the forums. So for them you can say essentially they gave up their vote by not participating.

As for your decision to move on, I hate to see that, but I guess it shows that some people are more concerned about the country affiliation than the organization the team is based on. I'm here because I like overclocking.

I like overclocking too, and I will continue to overclock my computers and overclockers.com will continue to be one of my favorite sites. But yes, I must admit that my affiliation with my country does outweigh my affiliation with a web site.

At any rate I know it was a tough decision TC and I know it was one you didn't make lightly. I certainly do leave with no hard feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back