• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing games to the 360 HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

Anyone have a list of games or even one game they noticed a HUGE gain from installing it to the HDD? Anyone know of any that definitely should NOT be installed(Halo 3) due to slower times?
I found this list on a site but I havent verified any of the information. I wouldnt ever be playing any of the games on the list either though.

# Big Bumpin'
# College Hoops 2k7
# Pocket Bike Racers
# Sneak King
# Crackdown
# Dead or Alive Xtreme 2

Last edited:
To me the big advantage is the reduction in noise more so than any improvements in load times. Heck I would deal with longer load times to shut off that jet turbine of a drive.

I love the feature but it eats up Hard Drive space like crazy. I want a 120GB but will wait for a price drop. I wish Microsoft would go the PS3 route and allow you to put in any 2.5 hdd.

I love the feature but it eats up Hard Drive space like crazy. I want a 120GB but will wait for a price drop. I wish Microsoft would go the PS3 route and allow you to put in any 2.5 hdd.

You can but it is a pretty big PITA. Basically you have to flash the new HD with some magical firmware, disassemble and reassemble the HD casing, and pray to some Haitian voodoo gods. With a little luck it will work.

In a seriousness it can be done with a little work but it would be nice if it was as simple as Sony makes instead of trying to milk every last cent out of us.

I tried installing forza 2 today, loading times are not noticeably faster, but it is quiet now.

And seeing as the 360 disk drive is as loud as a drill some times, its not that bad to install it. :)

I noticed a decent reduction in load times for Ninja Gaiden II, but not for GH Aerosmith. I just played through Bioshock without installing it to the HD, when I play through again for the other ending I'll probably install it to the drive to see if it makes a difference.

Saw a fair boost in Bully: Scholarship Edition.

I think Half Life 2: The Orange Box actually got worse though.

You can but it is a pretty big PITA. Basically you have to flash the new HD with some magical firmware, disassemble and reassemble the HD casing, and pray to some Haitian voodoo gods. With a little luck it will work.

In a seriousness it can be done with a little work but it would be nice if it was as simple as Sony makes instead of trying to milk every last cent out of us.

You can but the max size is 120GB I guess, you can't go bigger. So really it isn't worth my time to do it...If I could do a 320GB I'd be all over it.

I was considering just getting an Xbox 360 Elite and resell my current stuff but said to heck with it. Times are uncertain lol

IMO weather games load slower or faster I use the HDD to prolong my DVD drive.

You can but the max size is 120GB I guess, you can't go bigger. So really it isn't worth my time to do it...If I could do a 320GB I'd be all over it.

I was considering just getting an Xbox 360 Elite and resell my current stuff but said to heck with it. Times are uncertain lol

I could have sworn there is a 160gb or 180gb out already.

I could have sworn there is a 160gb or 180gb out already.

Not to my knowledge. I contemplated getting a 120GB with my Christmas cash but 60GB was good enough because that's big enough to install at least 7 games and really, who amongst us plays 7 games at once? I'm a sports gamer so I installed Madden, NBA Live, Nascar, NHL, Fifa and Tiger Woods.

Games install pretty quick to so it's not a big deal. If you want to free up an extra gig you can delete off the demos.

Not to my knowledge. I contemplated getting a 120GB with my Christmas cash but 60GB was good enough because that's big enough to install at least 7 games and really, who amongst us plays 7 games at once? I'm a sports gamer so I installed Madden, NBA Live, Nascar, NHL, Fifa and Tiger Woods.

I had the same thought earlier this week. I've been wanting a 120gb drive and came into a bit of a panic to get one for a good price before they're not available. But realistically, I'm only going to have 4-5 games installed simultaneously at most. a 60gb should do just fine.

I'm at the point though that I can BARELY get 2 games installed.

Back