• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Problem - gray screen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I'm having a strange problem with my desktop. Just the last couple days when I've clicked to play a youtube video, I get this strange grayish screen with faint vertical lines. It's happened only three times so far, and only when I had just clicked to "play" a youtube video.

The computer itself is only a year old, and the only hardware change I've made is I upgraded my old video card with a newer Asus Radeon HD6850. I'm suspecting that it's an issue with my GPU, but I've never seen a screen like that before. I've only ever dealt with BSOD's, and this is definitely not that.

Any ideas?

FYI, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Hard to say.

Test the card for stability like you usually would. Furmark and some good old fashioned gaming on a hard core DX-11 game.

Figure if it passes gaming and stress tests, it's just an issue with the browser or the video player.

I would check drivers as card is probably going up to 3D clocks but keeps 2D voltage or something like that. Vertical stripes are usually caused by too low voltage or memory issues.

I've ran into a similar issue; using Firefox and playing a youtube video has made my screen turn greyish black with verticle lines.... can't see the video, but the sound plays just fine... Usually I can alt or ctrl + F4 and the grey screen goes away...

I've had this on two different cards (290x & 7970), though it rarely happens, say half a dozen times over the past 18 months...

It's an issue with some revisions of AMD GPU drivers. You can right-click on the video and disable hardware acceleration to avoid this problem. It's not an ideal solution since it drops GPU-assisted decoding, but it works.

Back