• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mozilla 1.3 ROCKS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
UnseenMenace said:
The Mozilla project, largely sponsored by AOL-TimeWarner, has taken a dramatic turn.

Team leaders have advised Mozilla developers to abandon the "swiss army knife" approach for smaller and lighter applications, according to a statement posted on the mozilla.org site today.

Click Here For Full Story
That's sad to hear... I'm glad phoenix made the cut though :)

I don't understand why Mozilla (among others, like Netscape and Opera) put out "heavy" all-inclusive applications, that I call bloated and slow. Alot of the people I know want slick, tiny and fast browsers. Forums browsing doesn't require more than HTML, CSS (and Flash due to the banner ad). You really don't need a huge program like netscape to do simple browsing with.

I thought it was obvious: the less code, the less bugs, the less crashing. I've used Netscape, Opera, and IE on and off for a long time, and you have no idea how good it is to use a browser like Phoenix that never crashes, loads fast, and displays pages quickly.

su does Phoenix use mouse gestures, and can it load pages in the background, and can it block all pop ups?

dagamore said:
su does Phoenix use mouse gestures, and can it load pages in the background, and can it block all pop ups?

You can get add-ons for Phoenix which allow it to do a great deal.. this is a seriously fast browser.

dagamore said:
No mouse gestures that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an extension for it (you can plug in almost any phoenix/mozilla/netscape plugin). Phoenix uses a tab system, something like opera's load-in-one-window deal. If you right click and select "Open in New Tab" it will open in the background. "Open in New Window" is also there, that will fire up a new copy of Phoenix, and load it for you. Phoenix natively blocks popups, and has a very good sense of good and bad popups. If the page tries to pop up something, and it's blocked, it'll leave a little icon on your status tray to tell you that. If you want the popup, you can click on that icon, and whitelist the site.

I can't find the thread right now, but with a quick file modification, you can get inline ad removal aswell :)
Download userContent.css, and put it in your "phoenix\defaults\profile\chrome" directory. that will block most ads.

Last edited:
Too many browsers to throw at me at once!!!! I like Mozilla so far, I disabled the extra stuff I dont use and it is a slick streamlined simple browser that is powerful and fast. I am happy...I had problems with Mozilla Mail though, would only connect to my SMTP server 1 in 8 tries to send mail, so I went back to Outlook express....I might try eudora though

Have you read the news lately? Due to legal reasons, they have to rename Phoenix.
From http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

The Phoenix project will soon be renamed because of legal issues. After many months and several hundred suggestions, Phoenix's new name has been chosen. It will be revealed shortly, after some final legal checks have been made.

I just tried phoenix and love it much better than mozilla. You can skin it like mozilla and its simple, maybe a litttle too simple for my tastes, but its fast.

one gripe is that you can't set where you want the cache. Theres problems with some pages, especially *.aspx pages. Also, i had problems installing some skins. Other than that, once its working its solid! Maybe in the next revision they'll fix these?

Overall i'd recommend the browser, but i woudn't call it a permanent replacement for IE yet!

Last edited:
scanido said:
I just tried phoenix and love it much better than mozilla. You can skin it like mozilla and its simple, maybe a litttle too simple for my tastes, but its fast.

one gripe is that you can't set where you want the cache. Theres problems with some pages, especially *.aspx pages. Also, i had problems installing some skins. Other than that, once its working its solid! Maybe in the next revision they'll fix these?

Overall i'd recommend the browser, but i woudn't call it a permanent replacement for IE yet!
A fair review. There are still things that it doesn't do well. However, it's usually the webdesigner that's at fault. They make pages with Java or HTML code that isn't using the standards or conventions established for them, and as such, only look good in IE. (Microsoft has been known to make their pages unusable to other browsers..)

For your themes, you should have no problem if you get your themes from here. Mozilla and netscape themes may not snap in as easily.

Extensions here

Currently, I'm using:
Phoenity Theme
Digger
Tabbrowser Extensions
Tabbrowser Preferences 0.2
Tab Downloader 2.01 for Phoenix
Tab Scroller
Text Links
Advanced Preferences

jspam said:
A sweet mozilla skin to check out is Retro Orbital.

I like skypilot classic.

Mozilla is great, as is Phoenix ( www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird )

I prefer phoenix, but its just a matter of taste. I'm using Outlook Express right now, because you can't install mozilla mail without mozilla, but its just temporarily as moz mail is much nicer then OE.

FYI, mozilla 1.4 will be changed from previous versions.

The browser component will be Phoenix 0.6 and the mail client will be Minotaur (a stand alone open source mail client based on mozilla mail but more sleek and functional and simple).

1.4 is going to pwn

Back