• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VapoChill LS / Mach II GT with new setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

Well it's been a very very long time boys and (if any) girls. I haven't upgraded a computer since, well almost 5 years! Getting caught up with work and life, and not much gaming, my mac ended up picking up all the work slack.

So looking in my computer room, I have some works of art (well to a geek like me), a Bowman modded/regassed mach II gt with a Baker block, and a Vapochill LS modded/regassed by PC ICE, and another mach II regassed by JINU, Amazingly, my old 3.2 P4 overclocked to 4.4ghz still chugs along, the same overclock since I set up the system almost 5 years ago! But as many of you know, the system is a joke when it comes to gaming, and sadly it still uses AGP (huh, :screwy: wtf is that Exempt? says the young ones) , So as I start to price out and order parts for a new system, I wonder, and start googling.... "anyone still using mach II gt's and vapochill Ls's to cool there day to day gaming rig anymore?" ...

Well that's why Im asking, I don't see anyone except for hardcore benchmarkers using the system like I, and many others once did, for our day to day gaming rigs... Im not expecting some record breaking overclocks, I just want to know if anyone is using them to cool, and if so, are new kits available for the new sockets? If not I guess I could make one pretty easily. How about insulating the CPU pins/BGA whatever is under these new CPU's, back in the day I would use non conductive die electric grease, and smear it all over the pins, but Im not sure if thats possible anymore. So if anyone out there can give me some suggestions/feedback, I want to build another killer gaming rig!

I know a guy that uses a Vapochill LS...I PM'ed him to see if he still uses it 24/7. He used to use it on SKT775 but upgraded to i7. Not sure if he ever adapted it or not. I'll let you know when he gets back to me.

Good morning. I_G, aka Intel Guy at The Raptor Pit has a lot of experience with his. This was my question & his response:
Hey...there is a guy @ OCF asking about the Vapochill LS. Do you still use yours 24/7? If so, I'll direct him here to ask his questions (if you don't mind of course).
Hi Hokie,

I used mine 24/7 from when I got it in 2005 until I upgraded to LGA1366 a few months ago. I have everything ready to go back under phase except for the clamshell, and I have an appointment with a machinist in two weeks to finally complete the hardware fabrication. I can't wait to start running sub-zero again. Air cooling has been killing me.

I'll be glad to share my experiences and answer any questions that I can.
So if you're interested in asking some questions, head over to The Raptor Pit cooling section and ask away!

Sorry just saw this post. I used a Vapochill on a rig not to long ago until I fried the Vapo's controller board. It was a good time. Nothing like getting an E6400 2.13 ghz CPU running above 4 ghz! That itself was worth it. :beer: As far as insulating, there is no difference. At least there wasn't with the 775 socket. The newer sockets are similar except that they are slightly larger with more pins. AS far as adapters, I have seen people simply rig up anything that would fit the screw dimensions on the new motherboards and thats it. I will tell you from experience that be careful when filling the socket with dielectric grease because you can bend pins quite easily on the motherboard. I found out the hard way as usual. :bang head As far as insulating everything else its the same as you did it before. I miss being able to pump 1.5- 1.6+ volts into a CPU.

Good morning. I_G, aka Intel Guy at The Raptor Pit has a lot of experience with his. This was my question & his response:

So if you're interested in asking some questions, head over to The Raptor Pit cooling section and ask away!

Thanks so much for the response! I got a q6600 and an Asus mobo from my brother in law, so all I need is a recommendation on the best gaming video card, I do not want to run SLI, just a single card should do. And it looks like Ill need a new mounting method. I read that the Q6600s (not G0) run pretty hot, and I also hear and read that "overclocking a quad core proc is pretty pointless" , but hell people said that back in the day as well, and all these years later, my CPU has never crashed or fried...

Im thinking of running win vista ultimate 64x, as well, but I think Im getting off topic ;)

It all depends on what load they tuned your units for. Back in those days, I remember that Asetek actually lessened the charge on later units in favor of lower temps at the price of less capacity.

But actually I just saw your post now where you say you're running a Q6600. Subzero is a waste of time for that chip, you'll get close enough to the FSB wall even on air. You won't gain anything from hooking a phase change unit up to it except for higher power bills.

It all depends on what load they tuned your units for. Back in those days, I remember that Asetek actually lessened the charge on later units in favor of lower temps at the price of less capacity.

But actually I just saw your post now where you say you're running a Q6600. Subzero is a waste of time for that chip, you'll get close enough to the FSB wall even on air. You won't gain anything from hooking a phase change unit up to it except for higher power bills.

Im looking to get a stable 3.8ghx ~ 4ghz . I've read this is very possible on various sites with the SLACR g0 cpu, which is what I was fortunate to acquire! :) . I didn't like the Asus mobo that I received originally, so I went out and bought a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P . I plan to build the system this weekend, or this week, however, I still don't feel 100% comfortable with insulating and prepping the CPU & mobo, since it is completely different with LGA 775 from socket 478.

I used to put non conductive silicon grease over all the 478 pins, as well as inside the pin holes, and inside the center of the socket where there are transistors, however, with the 775, there are no pins, and no pin holes, and I was wondering if by putting the grease in, if it would prevent contact from the CPU to the socket. When I clamp the cpu in, do pins raise and make contact? If so then I figure I can still smear a ton of the silicon grease all over inside it, then do the normal neoprene foam insulation. Any help is much appreciated!

Upon further inspection of my new Gigabyte EP45-UD3p , and doing some measurements, I will obviously need a new mounting method, IF its even possible. I measured the mounting holes on the mobo at 3x3, for 478 it was 2.25 x 3 . Ok so I figured it wouldn't be to difficult to make a new mounting kit, but then I looked closer at the gigabyte mobo and noticed that there are capacitors very very close all around the CPU. It seems I would have to either make a very thin mounting plate, and leave the capacitors outside of the "shell" or hope that some grease and neoprene will protect them sufficiently if I were to make a mounting plate that went around them, I hope this makes sense. Anyone know where to get a hold of PC ICE? or anyone that could help me with this? I have a vapochill LS, a mach II GT , and a mach II unit (the only one in my collection that has the stock head and mounting). I would prefer to use my Mach II Gt, or vapo LS.

It's not very difficult to mount a Mach II to LGA775. Fill the socket in grease, cut a tight gasket for the socket etc. If caps are "sticking out" they probably won't get cold anyways.

This is my messy but effective way of doing it

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=510456

I still maintain tho that you're better off with air/water on that chip...swap it out for an e8500/e8600 and you'd be in for a treat, but its either just below 4 or just above 4 you're lloking at with a q66.

It's not very difficult to mount a Mach II to LGA775. Fill the socket in grease, cut a tight gasket for the socket etc. If caps are "sticking out" they probably won't get cold anyways.

This is my messy but effective way of doing it

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=510456

I still maintain tho that you're better off with air/water on that chip...swap it out for an e8500/e8600 and you'd be in for a treat, but its either just below 4 or just above 4 you're lloking at with a q66.

Gautam you are the man, that pretty much covers what I was asking, so it IS ok to put vaseline (or non conductive silicon grease) inside the CPU socket on the 775, it still makes contact with the CPU just fine correct? well most likely thats an obvious yes, since you did it lol. My mounting question though Im still puzzled about, what I'm talking about is the mounting holes and ANY of my kits head, they screws and everything dont match up, here are some pics, though Id really prefer to use my Vapochill LS first, my mach II GT second, and I dont even want to consider my mach II, because its the stock head. EDIT **** I might have forgot to mention that the mach II gt, does NOT have the stock "mounting shell" or whatever its called. however the dimensions are still the same for the mounting holes

The dimensions for the new and old mounting kits

2.75 x 2.75 LGA 775 New

my old 4778 is 2.5 x 3.25

Attachments

• vapochill LS.jpg
    vapochill LS.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 534
  • mach II gt.jpg
    mach II gt.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 555
  • mach II.jpg
    mach II.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
I got a hold of Jinu, he might be able to make me one Im hoping, if not, though I am a technical person, with some craftsmanship skills, I have no clue on how to remove the existing house from the copper part of the cooling unit, if I make any sense lol. Dremeling some lexan or what not would be east once that is done I imagine.

PS thanks for all your help so far Gautam, it is very appreciated, further advice is definitely needed lol

EDIT: I think I see what your saying after really studying the pics in the link, my only concern is that if you look at my second picture, (thats my mach II Gt) which is what I prefer to use, the white part of the mounting, would essentially smash any capacitors surrounding the new 775 cpu socket, specially since I would like to tighten the arse outta it! But as I see, I think I have a clear picture now of what I am going to need to do.

Last edited:
wow i haven't logged in in ages...
but i saw this and decided to drop my 2 cents.

yes! i still use my stock mach II to cool my everyday desktop, i don't do much gaming anymore, mostly 3d graphics rendering and video editing which benefit from high clocks.
I got a P5W DH Deluxe with an E4600 in december 2007.
I got someone from xtremesystems (cant recall who atm) to make me a custom lga775 mounting kit with custom insulation for like $40.
Been running at 3.7ghz smooth sailing since january 08.
The temperature sensor in my Mach died though, so i ended up bypassing it with a pot which i have to manually turn to "boot temperature" every time I boot up. Bit of a pain, but i think it's kinda cool in a backwards way...

The phase scene is not dead! though it's clearly thinning out.
btw: this used to be my favorite subforum on OCF...sad to see such little activity these days.

Last edited:
Yah I have two beasts of cooling units, I just need someone to make a new mounting kit, and possibly a new head (for the mach II gt). For the time being Im running a big ol HSF, idle my q6600 @ 3.4ghz is only 29c...god I hate HSF overclocking... Jinu's lathing machine is busted atm, so I am waiting for him to fix it or have someone take the time to fabricate something for either my mach II gt or vapochill LS...or last resort, do it myself!

UPDATE!

I got in contact with Jinu, he's going to fabricate a new mounting kit and possibly swap out the head, hopefully he will have time to do my vapochill LS after my mach II.

I installed a HSF (zalman CN something or other 9700 the black one) , idle temps are pretty darn low like 29~31c , and under load its right under 63c, I overclocked my g0 q6600 SLACR to 3.8ghz at only 1.385 (before droop), those temps i just listed are its overclocked temp readings in speedfan and coretemp. Amazing cpu overclockability! Can't wait to sub-zero this cpu, Ive been reading all these people on the web are having amazing results , but yet to read something substantial from a phase change cooler!

PIcked up my Vapochill LS and Mach II gt on Wednesday, with the new mounting, Jin is awesome :) Had time to finally install and fire it up last night. I remember somewhere I was posting here in the forums , they were saying that newer CPUs when overclocked were a MUCH higher temp, but thats completely wrong. Both my phase units were tuned for prescotts and FX chips, and they hold my quad right now, at the exact same temps. I hooked up the vapochill LS first, it performed great, and then slapped my mach II gt onto it, I was getting 3.6ghz on air on the SLACR, and I haven't fully played or tweaked it , I just left the voltage at 1.375, and overclocked it to 3.8ghz with a better memory divider, if I have time tonight, I will mess around with it and keep it at 4ghz~4.2ghz . Im sure I can hit this with a higher vcore and lower memory divider. :) Ill take pics and post them later tonight :)

And some of the newer steppings actually run hotter than older stuff, I have a GO Xeon thats about 12° hotter doing average stuff than it's older gen counterpart. Nice to see you got this setup
going, yeah Jinu does good work :thup:

So you're rocking @ 4.4ghz on that chip? Lets see some benchmarks :D

Nice to see you got this setup
going, yeah Jinu does good work :thup:

So you're rocking @ 4.4ghz on that chip? Lets see some benchmarks :D

Yah Jinu originally tuned this unit, still rocks :) , the q9650 is at 4.4ghz, I just moved this weekend, and havent set up my computer room, ordered a nice new dell 30" and craigslisted my old one, so I will set up and bench as soon as I receive the new one :) . I haven't benched in forever, people still using vantage right?

To be honest, I think Im going to step up to the I7 or extreme edition cpu, I want this bad boy to really rip through anything I throw at it!

Back