• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to install XP on Vista configured laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necrokiller

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Basic. The laptop isn't powerful enough to handle Vista in my opinion so I wish to install XP on it. Even though it runs fine, from time to time under multi-tasking it slows down alot... and Ive always preferred XP over Vista anyway.

The main SATA partition which holds Vista is 99GB and the rest (9.8GB) is empty. There is too much data to back up so is there any way I can downgrade to XP without having to format the Vista partition?

I tried installing XP on the other 9.8GB partition but the setup CP refuses to recognize any hard drive on my laptop. I think the problem is with SATA drivers but unfortunately I do not have a floppy disk drive so I can install them using the XP setup on boot (by installing third party drivers after pressing F6).

I also tried disabling AHCI option from within the BIOS to ATA but it gave me a warning saying I might not be able to boot into Vista anymore so I didn't take any risk. Any ideas as to how should install XP on the laptop?

Specs:
Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM
120GB HDD SATA

I am only suggesting this option only if you can back up your data first, just to be sure.

Download the SATA drivers from the manufacturers website. Find some way of getting these onto floppy. When that is done, install XP onto the vista drive. What will happen is the boot loader for Vista will disappear and you cannot boot into it anymore, only XP will boot. That's it. Basically, look on google for installing XP after vista on a dual boot setup. Then don't do the bootfix for getting into vista :)

You need a boot cd partitioning tool. I just used one so I can shrink my xp partition so I could put windows 7 on my computer.

First of all, are you sure the 9.8GB partition is empty? Usually Dell includes a restore/diagnostics partition. You may or may not want to keep it, I've never found it particularly useful, but that's probably what it is, anyhow.

Secondly... easiest way to get XP to recognize the hard drive is to go into BIOS and set the hard drive to IDE/legacy mode, like you did. It may cause problems with Vista, but what you can do is install XP, install all the relevant SATA drivers, and then switch it back to normal mode. It's not really hard to slipstream the drivers into XP, but if you're looking to save a step, you can usually get away with the easy method.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do think 9.8GB is enough for XP with all the basic features..excluding sys restore like someone mentioned. 1.5GB is the minimum requirement. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

Download the SATA drivers from the manufacturers website. Find some way of getting these onto floppy. When that is done, install XP onto the vista drive. What will happen is the boot loader for Vista will disappear and you cannot boot into it anymore, only XP will boot. That's it. Basically, look on google for installing XP after vista on a dual boot setup. Then don't do the bootfix for getting into vista
Like I said, my laptop does not have a floppy drive... I don't even have an external one. I have had dual boot systems before, I use EasyBCD for that, its pretty simple, but all them had XP first and Vista on seperate partitions.

First of all, are you sure the 9.8GB partition is empty? Usually Dell includes a restore/diagnostics partition. You may or may not want to keep it, I've never found it particularly useful, but that's probably what it is, anyhow.

Secondly... easiest way to get XP to recognize the hard drive is to go into BIOS and set the hard drive to IDE/legacy mode, like you did. It may cause problems with Vista, but what you can do is install XP, install all the relevant SATA drivers, and then switch it back to normal mode. It's not really hard to slipstream the drivers into XP, but if you're looking to save a step, you can usually get away with the easy method.
Yes, I removed all that crap. The drive is empty because I formatted it through Disk Management myself. I thought it would be there but the option for IDE specifically isnt there in the BIOS. Only AHCI and ATA. And before doing that, it asked me to DISABLE some "Flash Cable Module" or something like that...i dont exactly remember. Disabling that gave me a warning message.

you could use something like Nlite to slipstream the SATA drivers into a xp .iso. any other drivers you wanted as well. I have had to do that for a buddys PC who didn't even own a floppy drive. It's pretty simple to do http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--Slipstream-your-XP-installation?page=0,1

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks alot! Ill try it out.

Last edited:
Like I said, my laptop does not have a floppy drive... I don't even have an external one. I have had dual boot systems before, I use EasyBCD for that, its pretty simple, but all them had XP first and Vista on seperate partitions.

Then it sounds as if your bios might be new enough for you to use a USB stick instead :)

Yes you'll need a USB floppy or a slipstreamed copy of XP...those are your options. Also if you do have the flash cache module it has no support under XP

Yes you'll need a USB floppy or a slipstreamed copy of XP...those are your options. Also if you do have the flash cache module it has no support under XP

Yeah Cache..not cable. thanks for correcting that. I am making a slipstreamed copy of XP now. I downloaded the SATA drivers from Dell's website. I have a Western Digital HDD and the website had only Seagate and Intel drivers, so im assuming I have to use the drivers integrated on the motherboard, the Intel chipset that is.

Yes the HD brand has no bearing. Disable your flash cache in the bios before you start the install if you're wiping Vista out completely otherwise it'll just sit in device manager with no drivers forever

Yes the HD brand has no bearing. Disable your flash cache in the bios before you start the install if you're wiping Vista out completely otherwise it'll just sit in device manager with no drivers forever

Nlite worked like a charm!!! Amazing software. I totally customized the XP installation and reduced the size by 200MB removing all the stuff I never use.

I disabled Flash Cache Module and I just installed Windows XP on the 9.8GB partition...I'll remove Vista now from the primary partition and keep all the data intact. Only problem, XP is now on the D: drive and is not the primary partition.

Back