• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati radeon 3870x2 repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bftw

Registered
hi guys i am goin to take my gpu apart because it looks filthy and temps are mega high so im gna put some arctic silver 5 thermal paste on the 2 gpu cores but when i opened it up the other day just to check it out there were other little chips like bios chips and memory chips which had (im guessing) white thermal tape on and sum of the stuff was quite thick and was badly warn, if any one who has done this before can tell me if i should replace it with the usual thermal tape or insead put arctic silver 5 on them all, the only problem is there might be a gap were the thermal tape was before and there will be no contact made because of the thickness of the thermal tape, anyone had 1 of these cards before and cleaned it all out would be rearlly helpfull, thankyou in advance :shrug:

i also dont no how thick i should buy the thermal pads as they were tottaly damaged, any1 no how thick? 1mm, 2mm and so on

Last edited:
them cards always did run hot the fan profiles never worked right, we just had to crank up the fan to about 40% and they ran fine, my cousin got his first and didnt know about the fan issue it melted his plasic housing on the reference one lol
but on the things that have the thermal tape i think you aughta use it on them if they have it here because sometimes the tape fills a gap that thermal paste normally wouldnt

haha it is indeed a very hot card, my fan boots up at 40% with riva tuner and yes wagex thats what i mean about the gap were the thermal tape(pads) was so i cant use thermal paste, it has to be thermal tape(pads) tht i put back i just dnt no how thick the thermal pads should be as it was burnt to shreads when i first took it apart, if any1 has a 3870x2 or even a 4870x2 if they could tell me pleaseeeeee tht would be awsome

theres thermal tape sizes on the bay at
1mm
1.5mm
2mm
3mm

just dnt wna buy the wrong size because its quite expensive :shrug:

Last edited:
i managed to find this pic but i still dont no which size i should be looking at and there seems to be 2 different types of pads on this, should i be using double sided sticky's or 1 sided?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back