• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hd video playback on older computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

digital_loop

Registered
I have an older IBM Thinkcentre 8215 that has a nice low profile and would play nice in my entertainment rack... I want to turn it into a high definition playback source for hd video (h.264, bluray, that sort of thing). It current has 1 gig ram and a 3 ghz socket 775 intel cpu. There is an empty pci express 1x slot that I was hoping might be just what I need to fill to accomplish this goal. Of course I will be adding more ram to the system, and if upgrading the cpu could help I would consider that as well. looking to spend 150 tops on this computer if I do this, otherwise I would scrap the idea and go all out to build a new system again. However, setting up this one would be my ideal situation.

Here are the stats for the box in question,
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-60416

the pci slot is used by a wifi card.

Any help getting into the hd scene would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks oc community!

thanks for the info there...

also, don't you mean "welcome back to the forums"? I have been registered since 06 you know.

I had no issues with playback on a similar system running an nvidia 6800GS, do you have agp slots? there is a 7800 in the classies right now. It did have 2gb ram though. ( recent refurb and resell)

Back