• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Charles Eyefinity I couldnt wait.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charles1

Registered
Charles Eyefinity 4/21/11 UPDATE!

Hi guys,

As you may recall I was asking about what card to get for eyefinity and so on. Well after seeing an awesome deal for a 5870 eyefinity 6 for very cheap so I jumped on the bandwagon and got it. It was a risk do to the fact it was from saphire so only 2 years support by then I should have upgraded.

Ok back on topic so my 5870 arrive today and I couldn't wait like I was suppose to do. I was suppose to wait and install everything in my new house but that's getting renovated and junk. Well the card itself was big

Un boxed my other 2 Samsung led monitors and got to work setting up somethng temporary. At least my gal will use them for work a lot. Multitasking and remote control for 2 other pc's

I have to admit the card rocks by itself on 1 monitor giving me good 60FPS average and 80Max. On eyefinity however it dropped to 35-40Fps average and I have to say I am ok with it.

Well here are some pics for now I will follow up once my office is done and I will post updated pics.

For the record i went this route because I will get a second one and crossfire them. Ive seen the benchmarks and its perfect for the games I and a good way to get my feet wet to crossfire. I understand 6xxx scale wicked better.

Enjoy the pics.

update 4/19/11
OK guys I did not feel like starting another tread showing the ever evolving eyefinty build. Codenamed Baby Ship (need a better name but my server is called the Mothership)
Here are the pictures of the new case Lian Li PC-V354 and its inners enjoy.
1 x Core I7 950
2 x 4gig Corsair XMS3 1333MHz
1 x 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
2 x 64Gb Corsair Nova's
1 x MSI X58m
1 x Sapphire 5870 Eyefinity 6
1 x Lian Li PC 354
SDC11710.jpg
SDC11594.jpg
SDC11683.jpg
SDC11713.jpg
SDC11718.jpg
SDC11722.jpg
SDC11728.jpg
SDC11739.jpg
SDC11738.jpg
SDC11732.jpg
SDC11588.jpg
So Water Cooled & wire management today 4/21/11
SDC11740.jpg
SDC11742.jpg
SDC11744.jpg
SDC11747.jpg
SDC11749.jpg
SDC11750.jpg
SDC11751.jpg
SDC11752.jpg
SDC11755.jpg
SDC11757.jpg
SDC11758.jpg
SDC11759.jpg
SDC11769.jpg
SDC11772.jpg
SDC11773.jpg
SDC11774.jpg
SDC11781.jpg
SDC11782.jpg
SDC11783.jpg
SDC11784.jpg
SDC11785.jpg
SDC11790.jpg
SDC11791.jpg
Better Wire Management Done
pump.jpg
StressTest.jpg
SDC11811.jpg
SDC11812.jpg
SDC11813.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
SDC11827.jpg
SDC11828.jpg
SDC11832.jpg

Well the temps went down like crazy from idle on air of 115F to 95-99F and never passes 139F on load. Love it love it and on a side note this is done by 120 rad with a lame stock lian li low seed rpm. Once i change those to high rpm fans I might drop the temps some more.

Last edited:
Very nice Charles... You now need a bigger desk!!!!

I had planned on getting that same card when I first joined OCF; also planned on going with Eyefinity 3 as you have, but some members here got a hold of me and I ended up joining the "Benching Team" and the plans of having a monster gaming machine went out the window.

Either way; very nice setup my man. I hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

Sebas

Hye thanks, I know its not the best but for my needs and best bang for the buck why not LOL.

Yeah I know the thing is I have the other parts for that desk but i took my desk down in preparation of a move that my gal and I just bought. So i really cant set the whole desk again.

the plan was to wait but hell I saw a huge box and I was oh hell no I am not waiting. So getting my game on while the gal is with the fam. once she gets home I have some explaining to do :p

I will update when I finish moving and paint my new office and so on.

Nice setup, you need a bigger desk though. Those angles just seem to much, I have mine at like 10 degrees lol.

I have had good luck With the hole Ifinity setup thing. The big thing I have found though is that if your really looking to push visual quality you really want to go with more than one GPU. So far I have only tested this a single crossfire system. Haven't had a chance to test it with a dual crossfire setup. But it makes a big difference.

Also make sure you disable the additional displays that your not using. Even if you don't have a monitor plugged in you will take a performance hit. Usually around 10-15fps per monitor, if your not running 3d app's across them.

I have had good luck With the hole Ifinity setup thing. The big thing I have found though is that if your really looking to push visual quality you really want to go with more than one GPU. So far I have only tested this a single crossfire system. Haven't had a chance to test it with a dual crossfire setup. But it makes a big difference.

Also make sure you disable the additional displays that your not using. Even if you don't have a monitor plugged in you will take a performance hit. Usually around 10-15fps per monitor, if your not running 3d app's across them.

can you explain? like the other 3 plugs???? or when im done with eyefinity or what im confused LOL :confused:

Just make sure that when you go into the video settings you don't have an additional 3 monitors showing as enabled.

easiest way to turn them off is from the catalyst controls. Screen shot below will show you one method of doing it. If you have a monitor 4, 5 and 6 that are enabled use disable on them.

Attachments

• catalystss.jpg
    catalystss.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 345
Ah I see as of now all of them are blacked out as in I cant choose to disable them since I am running eyefinity. I will verify once I change them back to individual screens. Thanks. :)

Oh and after much consideration I think I might ditch the spider in order to get a Micro Atc case, if any of you know of someone selling a lian li PC V354 let me know.

Pm if you want to know my plans for the spider, since I cant post here or have the points to start a WTB thread thanks. Just following regulations.

Last edited:
Well this is an update. I decided to keep my current stuff saves on cost and chances are that I wont see a night and day difference between 1155 and my 1156.

So after some research I ended up buying the Asus Maximus III, It should arrive sometime today and I hope it works LOL.

Well now the next step is to buy the lian li PC-V354 case and start prepping it for some mods.

What I have in mind is placing a window on the side panel to see the internals, Then nickel plating the PSU, GPU WB, CPU WB and and I think that should be it.

What do you think. It will take some time though in the long run it would look cool.

Oh and of course getting the second 5870 GPU to do some crossfire.

You need a bigger desk! But looks great bro, cant wait for my own setup to look more or less like that.

I remember the days one monitor was exspensive. Now we get 3 awesome screens just cos we like to play games :p

You need a bigger desk! But looks great bro, cant wait for my own setup to look more or less like that.

I remember the days one monitor was expensive. Now we get 3 awesome screens just cos we like to play games :p

Thanks means a lot to me when people appreciate my toys LOL.

Yeah give me 2 weeks waiting for my house to close then I have the move grrrrrrr.

Like I said I will follow up on this thread.

Ok first of I was very disappointed yesterday I was all excited to get my open box Asus Maximus III but to my surprise board was touchy and eventually dead! :(

So before I take the time to install i had the M/B on top of the box with anti stac bag underneath. I turn it on it boots go to bios change nothing and exit bios, and all it did was hang on a black screen with the cpu fan at full speed. I shut down restart it worked install windows it crashes. Manage to get windows on dos not crash and when i try t remove my usb flash drive it freezes. i shut down and power up again. this time it would power up and shut off, restart shut off eventually it turns on but I got the black screen with no video.

I test my hardware on the zotac and it works so at that point mother board was deemed defective. Please note its my fault for trying to save 50 bucks on buying open box.

Well now RAM for a refund since they dont exchange Open box,and today I placed and order fo a new Asus Maximus III hoping that a new one would be better experience.

So thats my follow up for today lots of woes!!!!!!! lucky I have a good girl that understand why I bought 2 M/B's LOL :)

UPDATE!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
More woes and issues, so I get a replacement board and low and behold BLACK screen. PSU is fine and ram is fine. So it left with 2 culprits cpu or DOA M/B.
CPU was not getting warm at all when the motherboard turned on, so I was so depressed LOL and I decided done with waiting so went to local microcenter and bought an MSI X58M and an Intel i7 950 instead. Since I didnt want to chance to buy another 1156 cpu and it turns out its the board and then im stuck 2 with cpus. and I wanted 2 pci express at full 16x when in crossfire instead of dual 8x, thus logically the x58 chipset fits my needs perfectly.

I am very pleased with the board I am getting windows index of 7.8 cpu and GPU at 7.8 everything else is at 7.6 down the line. I am loving it, better than my 1156 and my 1155 windows index scores.

So YAY now just waiting for CPU water block and case. Stay tunned.

Oh and good morning overclcokers! :) just happy that everything worked.

rofl wow look at that i guess u couldnt wait to get a new desk? either way nice system i got eyefinity a few months ago and already bored with it lol

rofl wow look at that i guess u couldnt wait to get a new desk? either way nice system i got eyefinity a few months ago and already bored with it lol

Thanks, its not that I couldnt wait i have the complete architect desk. Thing is I am about to move so it be pointless for me to build my desk back up and then tear it back down LOL.

Excellent monitor choice, I originally used an asus 21.5"(dedicated for friends xbox'x now) but saw the Bx2231 at office depot for only $150 so I snagged the last one in stock but unfortunately all 4 stores around me are sold out and now discontinued.

What was the price for those? I would have 3 total by now but I refuse to pay $180 when I got the first one for $150 offline.

Only complaints are:
1. No speakers, but audio out so it works out.
2. No way to mount the monitor, which is retarded.

Other than that it puts my ASUS VH222H-P to shame, way better picture.

Last edited:
Also, Im a big fan of MSI mobos.
I hate Gigabyte, Asus are OK, and Evga sucks hard.
I've O'ced on all of them but every MSI board I've had is the easiest to OC and keep stable.

Just personal opinions and biases, not trying to start a flaming war.

Yeah I agree about the monitor, best bang for your buck. I got mine at $149.99 at frys when they were on a so called sale from frys LOL. I bought 2 since thats all I could afford but then decided to sell my 32 Lcd 720p tv to get the third since i was scared it would be a pain to find a third or worst case become discontinued. So i sold my tv got the monitor and paid off a credit card. I love them one of the thinnest bezels with same thickness on all 4 sides and samsung of course.

Not the best monitors but what sold me was the bezzel, led and how thin they were was a huge plus for me.

I agree with you as well I cant stand Gigabyte boars I hate the color scheme (preference), Asus I really like but they are know for having a big DOA and very complicated bios to OC. Then again if you get a good Asus board the features and the high performance of the board gives a great OC. Stil though watching the benchmarks on Asus and MSI, the MSI board came 1 point behind or 1 point ahead and price was cheaper on the MSI.

Just wished MSI made a board that was mAtx with no IDE support LOL, really who uses floppy and or ide HDD. Get with the program people. But I do understand you have market yourself to a diverse crowd.

Well I am off to the post office to pick up my water cooling stuff.

well its water cooled for the time being he he now moving on to gpu and making room for bigger slim rad.

Back