• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increase Multiplier instead of FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

hey, maybe you guys can help me here, since you helped me figure out how to overclock my CPU in the first place :)

I managed to overclock my Thunderbird 850.. But I can't figure out how to overclock the multiplier, it seems that I'm only overclocking the FSB, which (I believe) is making my system unstable (mainly when playing Tribes 2).
When I go to BIOS, the setting I am changing is something like this:

109/37Mhz/Off

I believe that the 109 pertains to my FSB, which mathematically it seems to work out: 1.09 * 850 = 926 Mhz, which is what my CPU is reported to be running at. My temp goes up to a max of 43 Celcius when playing Tribes, which leaves me some room to improve right? I'd love it if I could get this thing to 1 gig... I installed a tower fan the other day..
Anyway I have no idea what the "37 Mhz" and the "Off" pertain to, if any of you can help me out with that?
And what setting should I change in order to increase my multiplier ONLY?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!!

What kind of motherboard are you running? Changing the multiplier is pretty motherboard specific. And yes, Tribes2 HATES any sort of instability. I ran my system through the usual tests (at least my usual tests) and it looked good to me, yet Tribes2 hated it.

I believe that the 109 is indeed your FSB. The 37mhz is probably your PCI slot speed, which is out of spec (being that the default is 33) No clue about the "off" setting though.

So, post back with your motherboard, and we can probably help. Also, you may want to leaf through your motherboard manual if you have one. The multiplier setting might need to be adjusted using jumpers on the board itself.

Keep in mind that if its a socket 850 you have to connect the L1 bridges and if its a slot a you'll have to get a gold fingers device. Also if you have like a KT133 motherboard it may be that your board just isnt that stable at that fsb.

IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE CORE/BUS RATIO, U HAVE TO CONNECT THE L1 BRIDGES ON THE CPU WITH A PENCIL TO MAKE IT A COMPLETE CIRCUIT.AFTER DOING THAT, U WILL THEN BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE CORE/BUS RATIO(ALSO CALLED AS THE*MULTIPLIER*)OF YOUR CPU,EITHER BY CHANGING THE JUMPERS ON YOUR MOBO OR FROM YOUR BIOS.MAKE SURE U GET A GOOD HEAT SINK FAN FOR YOUR CPU OF ILL FRY.TWEAK THE VOLTAGE UP A LITTLE WHEN TESTING TO ENSURE SYSTEM STABLITY.THEN WHEN U ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR SYSTEM, TWEAK DOWN YOUR VOLTAGE TO LESSEN HEAT GENERATION.HOPE THIS COULD BE USEFUL TO U.

OK I don't know how useful my motherboard info is gonna be, cause I think it's a pretty bottom of the line mobo, I got it at a computer show...
It's a "Future Power" KT133A VIA chipset board. It's almost completely jumperless. There's one jumper, for the FSB, to change it from 100 to 133. When I change it to 133, my system won't boot..

I've connected the L1 things on the chip, which is what is allowing me to change the FSB setting in BIOS.

But now I'm getting another problem.

Sisoft Sandra just told me that my FSB is running at a speed faster than what my RAM is rated for (which could be what is causing my errors in Tribes, cause it always reports an unhandled exception and gives me a memory address?). My RAM is all 133 though, and my FSB jumper is set to 100... But I remember reading somewhere that the RAM can be told to operate 33mhz faster than the processor, in order to make up for when the processor doesn't run at 133, yet the RAM does. So perhaps I have that turned on somehow? In which case my setting the FSB up by 9mhz is adding 9 to the 133 that my RAM is already running at? I have no idea...

But anyway There's definitely no other jumpers on my board though. Do you guys know the specific name of the setting, for the multiplier, that I should be looking for in BIOS?
It's weird, when I go to "Clock/Voltage Control" in BIOS, it's description of this is "Change your CPU clock, front side bus, and voltage settings" yet there is nothing there that pertains to my CPU only..... :( Maybe my mobo sucks and won't let me overclock it?

How did you connect the L1 bridges? With a pencil or window defogging paint? Connecting them allows you to adjust the multiplier not the FSB. The FSB can be adjusted without connecting the bridges.

Also, when overclocking RAM you need to be sure that it's high quality. If you're experiencing instability increasing the FSB by only 9mhz you should try using less aggressive memory settings (if this doesn't work you may want to purchase some good RAM such as Corsair, Mushkin, or Crucial--although these may not overclock the best). The fact that you have increased the PCI bus speed can also contribute to instability.

hmm I used a pencil to do it.... Should I erase it and do it again? LOL...

I'd really rather not mess with the FSB honestly, I'd like to just increase the multiplier... But there's NO option there to do it, nothing that's greyed out and unselectable, not a thing...

OK here's everything that is listed under "Freq/Voltage Control"

Auto Detech DIMM/PCI Clk: Enabled

CPU Host/PCI/Spread Spec: 109/36/off
(the last section can be -.5%, +/-.25%, +/-.5%, but only when the first section [FSB] is less than 103)

DRAM Clock: PC133 SDRAM

CPU Volt Core Select: Default

the Volt Core ranges from -.025 to +.075

That's it :( This is the most updated BIOS.. Is it possible to install a different BIOS? Stupid crappy mobo.....

Oh here's a link to my mobo's site, if anyone feels like taking a look...
http://www.futurepowerusa.com/products/FP-kt133.htm

Last edited:
Back