• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Internet Explorer run a 'security scan' of every downloaded file?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because I do not use IE, I don't seem to recall if it always did this or what?

Download a file, any file, that's download, not RUN file, download a file then keep looking at the screen as the download finishes, do you get this message:
Running security scan...

If not, which version of IE and OS are you running. Let's start from there.

As for your link, EarthDog may have been too quick on the thanks button there ;) Yes, I knew there was a way to disable this on experimental Beta versions of IE but not final versions (but who would run a Beta browser, they are insecure as it is...) Also, IE10 comes with Windows 8, not IE9 even if it worked on IE9 final :(
No I don't get that from IE11. I chose save as and browse to that location. Norton pops up in corner and says file is safe. IE only says view file or open folder, It is on Win7.

Yeah. So if I like, don't like it... could I just totally turn Internet Exploder off!?
And also, are there maybe other browsers besides the Internet Explorers?

Yeah. So if I like, don't like it... could I just totally turn Internet Exploder off!?
And also, are there maybe other browsers besides the Internet Explorers?

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-f28644.jpg

:D

Did you ever consider that it might actually just be a security scan and nothing more?

If you don't like it, don't use IE, simple as that.

This...what's the big deal. So it scans a file for a virus.
I use it everyday. It is the only browser completely compatible with the large multi national insurance company where I work.

....which is why it's important to gain knowledge on what its options are and how to change them. That in itself is enough of a reason. However, if a reason is required to address the question then there are multiple reasons, so if one is not enough, we'll get to others, but I will give you one.

So the answer to the posts above asking 'why would you wanna do that - just leave it alone and quit asking computer questions on this computer forum':

The scan process may hang on certain machines. So IF you have a situation where the machine is protected by one of the better third party antivirus scans, then not only are you being delayed by x number of seconds but the machine hangs, and hangs due to an unnecessary process because it is already protected by software which has even better antivirus definitions.

And so we are also back to the old question of what's a second or three or five second delay... and me saying well what if you multiply that by a thousand or ten thousand, that adds up to a lot of lost time... and then someone else countering that with pointing out how we are so spoiled today, we want everything to be instantaneous, in other words, that we should just shut up and take it... and so on... :(

It is my understanding that the scan cannot be disabled. It is my understanding that the last version of IE where this can be done is version 8, is that correct?

Last edited:

It is my understanding that the scan cannot be disabled. It is my understanding that the last version of IE where this can be done is version 8, is that correct?

From what I gather you are correct in your understanding. This is a default built into IE from version 9 forward.

Running security Scan never stops

Did you ever consider that it might actually just be a security scan and nothing more?

If you don't like it, don't use IE, simple as that.

Read your post. Every time I try of open an attached file when using IE to access my Yahoo mail...I get "running security scan" but it never stops running so the file never opens. If I open Yahoo mail via Google Chrome, it opens. I'm clueless why this started a couple weeks ago or what to do to fix it. I've uninstalled a couple programs that I installed about the same time, updated windows and my virus, java, adobe etc. Any ideas?

LoL. So far it appears that scan is an integral mandatory feature of the Internet Explorer program that is not changeable in the registry or in program options.

But maybe one day someone will find a way or maybe a new version of IE would give us that option? I would not hold my breath for customizations to be a priority for Microsoft developers though :(

LoL. So far it appears that scan is an integral mandatory feature of the Internet Explorer program that is not changeable in the registry or in program options.

But maybe one day someone will find a way or maybe a new version of IE would give us that option? I would not hold my breath for customizations to be a priority for Microsoft developers though :(

Same.

It's a shame that some programs companies use *require* IE :(

Back