• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

So I have a new mobo at Gigabyte, I bought it because of the "Asus Warranty Support" thread located in this same section. I am posting as much to vent my frustration as perhaps even give fair time to another manufacturers process.

I am an AMD guy but lately been feeling a little let down by AMD's direction in the recent past, so I went dark and ordered an Intel rig. My Asus AMD board hasn't been the same since it took a lightning strike through the NIC. Replaced the NIC but as late the USB ports have been dropping out so as time is very short I order from TD and pay for two day shipping, I need this stuff now. Got July third just before everyone took off from work, Great!

I got an Intel 4960K and a gigabyte Z97-UD5H motherboard. I was at least a little excited and relieved that My AMD rig had hung on as long as it did. That night, of coarse, I ripped out the AMD and installed the Intel. No boot, I tried everything I know and retried it all again, nada. Take it all apart and when I take out the chip I notice bent pins in the socket.

What do I do? Make a post here in the Intel CPU section. I ask what could possibly cause this and the gist I got was, It was my fault. OK, this is probably my first time damaging a component since floppy disks so I figure I will RMA the motherboard and ask Gigabyte to repair it. Go to their website and register the mobo and request an RMA, Saturday the fifth7/5/14. Of coarse since I needed it I called CS Monday and told the guy the issue, asked if he knew if they could replace the socket and offered to pay in advance. His whole response after the polite laugh was, "Let's just wait for the RMA number and go from there". True to their word I get an RMA number in two working days on Tuesday the eighth7/8/14. Ship it two day air and I get conformation from USPS that it arrived Friday the eleventh 7/11/14 9:10 AM. Yeah, I called them back and assume that I got the same guy again because I get, "let's just wait for it to go through the process and go from there."

Tuesday the fifteenth I get conformation that the received it 7/15/14. Really? Wednesday the sixteenth 7/16/14, I get an email entitled CPU SOKET BAD, along with pictures showing the damage and a form to give the authorization to charge 45.00 on a card. No kidding, really? So I fill it out the form and send it off within the hour thinking it might speed up the process, LOL. So I sit down and go to update the other post and look at the picture of the socket damage, I also post it along with one of the original pictures that I took because they don't match.

In my case I don't think that a careless employee damaged it by mistake. I assume that he or she never looked at any of the paperwork, installed another CPU to test it and the socket being defective caused much more damage. I don't really know what to do, I assume that they charged my card and repaired it and would ship it the next day. Nope, I think that because I offered to pay up front I should just let it go and just get the board back. Ok, Saturday the nineteenth and still no update to the status. I send them an email saying that I thought that I should not be charged as they sent me proof in the form of the picture that the socket was defective. Waited all day to see what would happen, nothing, no email no status update just nothing.

So that's where it stands today. Here is a little bit of humor taken from their website.
The turn around time is normally 5 working days plus transit time. If you need faster service, please contact our customer service representative via email
Wish I had known not to waste my time calling them.

Last edited:
I just got a gigabytes ulta crappy board, I'm not going to rma the worthless thing, I'm taking it out back and shooting the stinking thing!!!

Well that's kind of disheartening. Having trouble with my new NAS setup, which just happens to have a Gigabyte board (No display). Contacting GB support and saying I checked all the connections, ran it out of the case, tested several sets of RAM, etc., they promptly blamed the CPU :facepalm:

No pin damage on the CPU, I never touched the pins, I installed it correctly, all that. Never got a defective CPU, but I hope this is the first if they're going to give me trouble trying to RMA it.

Even a socket with bent bins won't bend more pins when a CPU is inserted correctly.

Even a socket with bent bins won't bend more pins when a CPU is inserted correctly.
This. NOt sure what the hang up is though outside of a delay in letting you know they received the board... They are going to fix it regardless, right?

Is it not possible they attached the wrong picture... an innocent mistake? :shrug:

I'm reading a lot of assumptions here...

Also, 5 day turn around would be five BUSINESS days. So today would be the first time I would expect them to ship it out.

Seems like you're mad that they're fixing a board you damaged for a pretty fair price.
IIRC Asus is ~$60 to replace a socket.

I agree with EarthDog, the picture could simply be an "I clicked the next file over" situation if they only sent one.

That is my point, yet it happened to both of us.

This. NOt sure what the hang up is though outside of a delay in letting you know they received the board... They are going to fix it regardless, right?

Is it not possible they attached the wrong picture... an innocent mistake? :shrug:
I assume that they are fixing it, but have got nothing from them, they haven't charged my card as yet. It is definitely the same socket, I posted them side by side on the other thread. There are the same pins bent and a whole lot of new ones to.
I'm reading a lot of assumptions here...

Also, 5 day turn around would be five BUSINESS days. So today would be the first time I would expect them to ship it out.

Seems like you're mad that they're fixing a board you damaged for a pretty fair price.
IIRC Asus is ~$60 to replace a socket.

I agree with EarthDog, the picture could simply be an "I clicked the next file over" situation if they only sent one.
I can only assume since they don't email me. Well they got it on the 11th at nine in the morning, so far 11 days or 7 working days. It may seem to you that I am mad because I damaged the board but the pictures say different. I do agree that 45.00 is a fair price but again, all I did was install the CPU and my H100I, known for being loose on this socket and the bent pins were very random.

That is my point, yet it happened to both of us.

I assume that they are fixing it, but have got nothing from them, they haven't charged my card as yet. It is definitely the same socket, I posted them side by side on the other thread. There are the same pins bent and a whole lot of new ones to.
I can only assume since they don't email me. Well they got it on the 11th at nine in the morning, so far 11 days or 7 working days. It may seem to you that I am mad because I damaged the board but the pictures say different. I do agree that 45.00 is a fair price but again, all I did was install the CPU and my H100I, known for being loose on this socket and the bent pins were very random.

Delivered and received are two VERY different things in a business.

Delivered and received are two VERY different things in a business.
I get it, you like Gigabyte. This has not been a pleasant experience for me, however it will be my last. Here are the pictures, judge for yourself.

Attachments

• SN142000029805.jpg
    SN142000029805.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0083a.jpg
    IMG_0083a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 594
Ok, so they damaged it more? They are fixing the damage... not sure what there is to be concerned about?

I get it, you like Gigabyte. This has not been a pleasant experience for me, however it will be my last. Here are the pictures, judge for yourself.

I also work somewhere with a warehouse about 50 ft from me, as well as deal with customers that have to receive our goods.
Delivered and received are not the same. Period.

If something is marked improperly and shows up to a customer with a large warehouse, it gets lost in limbo.
There's also typically a staging area where deliveries are stacked before being received.

As for the pictures, I'm not sure which is before and which is after.
They're both semi-blurry, and both have a couple of bent pins. Nothing too crazy on either.

Ok, so they damaged it more? They are fixing the damage... not sure what there is to be concerned about?

Isn't it obvious if there was nothing wrong with the socket or retention bracket that they could not have done more damage?

I have damaged a socket with a functional retention bracket. :)

I'm not sure what the pictures show either... as in which is before which is after. It looks like the top one is the after with a bit more damage to it as most of the damage that is on the bottom is on the top and more.

I don't know. Its a head scratcher, no doubt, however, they are fixing the damage at a reasonable cost. I wouldn't look in to it more than that personally...They haven't given you an ounce of flak...

I mean, thanks for the info, but this wouldn't remotely have me never using a Gigabyte board in the future.

Well, I had to call. At least he said that he could get them to start working on it right away. He also insisted that it would not have been tested, that all they did was open the box and take pictures of the damage. I will be charged for the repair, while the money itself does not bother me, the rest does.

I'm still not sure why the rest bothers you.
They haven't had the board for an unreasonable amount of time and the board was sent with socket damage (which they showed).

Honestly, when you've gone three weeks without contact on an RMA, that's when there's an issue.
Or when they try to lie to you about damages.

I have damaged a socket with a functional retention bracket. :)

I'm not sure what the pictures show either... as in which is before which is after. It looks like the top one is the after with a bit more damage to it as most of the damage that is on the bottom is on the top and more.

I don't know. Its a head scratcher, no doubt, however, they are fixing the damage at a reasonable cost. I wouldn't look in to it more than that personally...They haven't given you an ounce of flak...

I mean, thanks for the info, but this wouldn't remotely have me never using a Gigabyte board in the future.
The smaller of the two is the one they sent. No, they haven't given me as much flak as I got in this thread, they would have to actually respond to give me anything.

It arrived Friday the eleventh 7/11/14 9:10 AM.

Tuesday the fifteenth I get conformation that the received it 7/15/14.
2 business days were between its arrival on Friday and Tuesday (Part of Friday, all of monday, part of Tuesday).

Wednesday the sixteenth 7/16/14, I get an email entitled CPU SOKET BAD
1 day turnaround on looking at the board? Color me impressed (no sarcasm there).

So the worst thing that happened is they did not start working on it until 4 business days later (again part of the 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st, and part of today) which was 'forced' by your phone call.

I am sorry you had to follow up today. But that is the only place where I see that they really went wrong. The socket damage picture is a curiosity though. Did you ship with the cover on the socket?

Hopefully you get it back soon though. Good luck! :)

EDIT: In your other thread, people already said you are expecting too much from this RMA process..............People tried to properly set your expectations so you would not be disappointed.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure why the rest bothers you.
They haven't had the board for an unreasonable amount of time and the board was sent with socket damage (which they showed).

Honestly, when you've gone three weeks without contact on an RMA, that's when there's an issue.
Or when they try to lie to you about damages.

You already said you thought I damaged it, fair enough. They say they did nothing but remove it from the box, Fair enough. The pictures say different. I won't be the last person this happens to.

Back