• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding a second card...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

If I add a second card to my main PC can it continue to mine while I use the PC? I know I can add two cards to a miner but this is the PC I use for gaming and web surfing as well as mining. Right now I have two .bat files that I use, one for normal mining set to I-20, and another that I use while web surfing with I-17. The lower intensity allows me to use the PC while not totally cutting my mining off. Except for when I'm gaming when I turn off mining completely.

So, if I add something like a 270x or 280x to the system will it work? I realize it can't be crossfire but would it interfere with the PC in general? My goal here is to avoid building a second PC and utilize the open PCIe ports I already have while not spending 600.00 on another 290.

easy, you can even crossfire them :)
what you do:
- setup the xfire bridge, but do not enable xfire from catalyst, unless you want to play and drop mining
- setup cgminer with dual config files instead of bats, in each config you can setup different settins per card, like first one can be I13 and 2nd I20

So something like this? I used some info found on searches to build it so let me know if something looks off.

{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://useast.middlecoin.com:3333",
"user" : "btc address",
"pass" : "x"
},
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://server two address",
"user" : "server two usrname",
"pass" : "x"
}
]
"intensity: : "17,20",
"worksize" : "256,512",
thread-concurrency" : "15000,32675",
}

With any other added settings as well, but I thought that would give me a general idea.

Thanks!

I can't find the answer but does listing two pools like that give each card one to use or is the second my failsafe one.

Second is the failsafe one.

You need to open multi instance of cgminer to connect on different pools.

Great, that's what I wanted.

With all this playing around with my cfg I got my hash more steady and up to 797. I want that 800!

Great, that's what I wanted.

With all this playing around with my cfg I got my hash more steady and up to 797. I want that 800!

Don't kill the cards :p

Also consider power usage: I can get 292 Kh out of my 6850, but my rig would use ~300 watts :eek: :shock:

Where as 280 Kh uses a mere ~220 watts :thup:

True, I'm flying blind at the moment. My Killawatt comes in next week so I can double check my power so I hope I have it estimated pretty good.

True, I'm flying blind at the moment. My Killawatt comes in next week so I can double check my power so I hope I have it estimated pretty good.

What's the voltage you run the cards at?

I've also noticed that lower mem speed = less power used..

I hope you're right. I've been calculating this one at 300w, so if it ends up being lower I'm making more cash than I thought. :D

I thought you didn't have to pay the electric bill? Crank that bad boy up! Lol

Thanks for the post bug. I'll be setting up a multi Gpu rig in about a week. Please post your results.

I don't, but I pitch in my fair share to cover the bill.

Last month it was $350!! :eek:
So I paid $20 to cover my costs. ~60 cents/day top mine :D

Wow, I hope mine doesn't increase that bad. My wife will lose it for sure!

It shouldn't.

We are plugging in my car. dad's truck, mom's school bus (she drives the rugrats to school :p ) + big heater in my dad's work shop + furnace comes on a lot + have to use dryer for clothes till summer... List goes on :p

I'm resurrecting my thread since my 270 came in. What is the best way to test the new card settings? Is there a way to disable the main card in cgimer while I test?

I'm resurrecting my thread since my 270 came in. What is the best way to test the new card settings? Is there a way to disable the main card in cgimer while I test?

Yes! Just use the -d option.

Example, my 6850 is gpu # 0 in cgminer, so to just use it, i'd use -d 0 in my .bat file :D

easy peasy. :)

Back