• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 not showing mapped network drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a similar, but not exact, situation like you with both Win 7 and Win 8. Especially after reimaging a drive. My solution, which works most of the time, is to turn off all the computers and unplug the router. Wait a minute or two. Then re-plug the router and turn on all the computers. After this, all my shared (and mapped) drives are visible again on all my computers.

I have a similar, but not exact, situation like you with both Win 7 and Win 8. Especially after reimaging a drive. My solution, which works most of the time, is to turn off all the computers and unplug the router. Wait a minute or two. Then re-plug the router and turn on all the computers. After this, all my shared (and mapped) drives are visible again on all my computers.
That is not the same issue at all and I'm not even sure how restarting the router would be a fix. The problem is definitely on the install of Windows 8 as restarting fixes it 100% of the time at this point.

I've fired up my laptop for the first time outside my network. Before I left earlier today, I did a full restart, let it log in, connected the network drive, then put the system to sleep. Upon waking the laptop up a few minutes ago, the network drive still shows in Computer.

Last edited:
I don't know whether your problem is the same as mine. But in my case, 9 out of 10 times, my networking problems is because of my router (a Linksys). Rebooting (restarting) the router usually solves them. Don't ask me why. I'm no I.T. nor Windows expert. I just repeat what worked before.

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem.
Were you able to ever resolve this issue. I have had to re-add my network drives using Add Network Location but still baffled as to why they disappeared to begin with.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem.
Were you able to ever resolve this issue. I have had to re-add my network drives using Add Network Location but still baffled as to why they disappeared to begin with.
Any help in this regard will be appreciated.
The issue was not resolved, no. I believe it is related to sleep or hibernate. My desktop is running the exact same operating system with similar programs, and it does not have the issue.

Back