• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: Install windows XP on an Asus Z87 Maximus Hero Vi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mandrake4565 it's not a problem I have plenty of network cards lying around, the biggest problem is getting the chipset drivers, I don't really care about all of the onboard crap, that being said, AHCI/southbridge drivers are also important in order to boot the setup with the integrated nlite drivers, so can you tell me where to get the chipset drivers ? the nlite zip only contains the SATA AHCI drivers (and thanks for that !).

Last edited:
These are the ones I used, it may not say it supports Xp because Xp is no longer supported by Microsoft. Just an FYI I do not use my Xp OS on the 4770k rig as a daily system. I only used it as a benching OS so it may not function 100% as a daily operating system. I never had issues with it but again it was only for benching.

These are the ones I used, it may not say it supports Xp because Xp is no longer supported by Microsoft.
The package is an Intel installation package provided by Intel for use with Intel chipsets; if it does not support Windows XP, it is because Intel dropped the support.

Windows XP is still supported by Microsoft Corporation.

I noticed that the 10.0 series of the Intel Chipset Installation Utility has a different installer than older series. I tried extracting and running the 10.0.13 installer myself on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, but it failed giving the error that "The specified program requires a newer version of Windows.".

The latest version of the chipset setup package Intel provides for its Desktop Board with the Z87 Chipset is 9.4.0.1027 and is available:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23061

See the readme file ( http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23061/eng/INF_9.4.0.1027_readme.txt ) for the list of supported operating systems.

Do not forget to use the -OVERALL argument when installing or reinstalling completely the chipset drivers using the utility.

thanks z you're my savior ! now thanks to you guys I can use z87 with XP

hopefully a little INF editing can make those drivers compatible with z97 as well, but that's too much to ask for at the moment, I'm just happy z87 is supported

hopefully a little INF editing can make those drivers compatible with z97 as well, but that's too much to ask for at the moment, I'm just happy z87 is supported
Now you're really shooting for the stars :p

yhe :), would do it myself if I had the hardware, maybe someone with the hardware should do it and upload for us.

based on this information today I finished planning all my hardware on this platform, and guess what ? turns out I will be going for Asus Maximus VI Hero as well, here is what is going to be my new boat:

CPU: G3258
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400 F3-2400C10D-16GTX
and a PCI-e to PCI converter for my good old sound cards :)

all together going to cost about 750$

intel graphics 4600 driver for windows xp

yhe thanks I actually changed everything in terms of hardware eventually

I found a graphics driver for the 4600 on softpedia:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600-Driver-918103200.shtml

a slightly older version can also be found here:
http://downdrivers.com/down-driver-intel-hd-graphics-4600-driver-9.18.10.3165.html

haven't tested it yet

the network interface cards are going to be a serious problem, it's likely that there were never drivers for the intel I21x on windows xp

Last edited:
Hiya guys,

The thread is kinda old, but since I'm planning on upgrading the following few months, and I really need XP as a daily usage system, not just benching, could you please confirm if you installed XP on z87 successfully? :)

Thanks!

Hiya guys,

The thread is kinda old, but since I'm planning on upgrading the following few months, and I really need XP as a daily usage system, not just benching, could you please confirm if you installed XP on z87 successfully? :)

Thanks!
Yes it is up and working, how well for an everyday system IDK but I don't have any issues when benching on it.

Hi again,

I just found this board (Maximus VI Hero) at a fair price and I was wondering if you could tell me if the audio is running fine under XP? Did you try installing any audio drivers?

Thanks,
Bobby

Hi again,

I just found this board (Maximus VI Hero) at a fair price and I was wondering if you could tell me if the audio is running fine under XP? Did you try installing any audio drivers?

Thanks,
Bobby
No sorry Bobby, I had not installed the audio drivers, I never even had speakers hooked up. If you have time, I'll see if I can get it up and running, I haven't benched on it in a while, so it's sitting without a heatssink installed. I should be able to get to it monday or tuesday and see, again if you can wait.

Hello Mandrake,

That would be really awesome of you! It really seems a lot to ask for especially since you have yet to install a heatsink first, but if you can do this for me I'd be grateful forever! :salute:

I've already ordered a 4790K which is arriving on Monday, but I guess I can spend some time just staring at it :)

I really think Snappy Driver can get some drivers installed for the audio since it's supposed to be a realtek chip after all, but I just couldn't find which exact model.
Unfortunately, the guy who is selling the board didn't agree to give it to me just to try to run XP first, altough he lives just a couple of blocks away...

Anyway, if it's too much trouble for you, please don't bother, I could just go for a Z87-Pro which runs with a standard ALC1150 realtek codec.
I was aiming at the Hero because of the supposedly better OC features it offers...

I need to get it up and running anyway, so it's not any trouble. Weekends, are just a bit busy for me so I'll likely get to it Monday and report back.

this is one sweet thread!!!!
now when I get mt 4790K/z97 rig back together I can tri boot it!!!!!!
thanks guys!!!

Back