• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automating file movements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

Another question for you genius-types.

We use a program/service called Docushare at my work to store client files. Docushare is a web client of sorts that we load the data into. It then compresses the data, and stores it all in a database that we house on one of our servers. Docushare encrypts the information, so in order for us to get to it we have to pull it back through the web client.

I've been tasked with migrating away from the Docushare service, so we have to pull all of our data (Some 364GB compressed) through the web client, and store it.

What I'd like to find is a way to automate this.. A script that I can edit slightly, and let it go to town copying files out of a given directory. The biggest issue there, is it has to copy the files in small groups - Try to pull to much data through the docushare, and the server crashes. My bosses aren't willing to spend any money on it to make this easier for me, either.

If you need more info, let me know.

I don't have experience with this program, but I may have found something useful. According to this file, you can install a Docushare application, that allows you to browse the files on the server. You could then copy files manually or have a script do it for you.

Have you contacted their support to see if there is a way to extract the documents?

I've talked with their support, and they offered one of two methods. The first method was to let them do it - Costing the firm about 10K for a weeks worth of work. My boss scoffed and said hell no. The other method is a command prompt that I have yet to get to work for me... Even with the desktop client though, I'm a novice as far as writing scripts/.bat files and the such.

Is this the command you saw? I kept searching after I posted and found it.

I think the command would be your best bet.

That'd be the one.

So then my question is, how can I automate that to do a group of files.. And then once done, do the next group? Or would that even be possible?

You could write a script in whichever OS you have to go down the list. You may even be able to have it wait a certain amount of time between runs, if necessary. What OS is running that command?

How many batches of files do you need to run this for? If it is less than 10 or so, I'd do it by hand since you may need to monitor the progress. You could certainly script it with a batch file or PowerShell.

The server is one of our older ones - Running a measly 4GB of ran on a dual core. Moving to much at once crashes it.. We have 1.5 million files total. I don't know how large of batches we can move, but I'm thinking less than 100~ at a time.

If batching/scripting it is feasible, could I get some help writing that?

I have only a little experience with batch files and Powershell. If you could enumerate all of the folders, you could iterate through each one grabbing all the files in the folder. The loop would recursively check all the subfolders in the current folder, repeating the process until there are no folders left. This would grab files for all folders.

Back