• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD has already released their high and low end lineup of 28 nm GPUs. Today we will be looking at the MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC which is geared towards anyone who is serious about gaming, but doesn't want to shell out $400 + for a graphics card. This card and its lesser sibling, the HD 7850 round out the AMD's mid-range segment of 28 nm GPUs.

... Return to article to continue reading.

I want one....BAD!
Wonder if they are releasing a 7850 version.....?

:edit: Nevermind...heh its on newegg.

Just a special note from MSI...

MSI Afterburner will finally get out of the beta stage for version 2.2 very shortly ('few days'). The reason why MSI kept putting out beta after beta was because there have been a 'slew of new GPU releases from late last year in to this year'

So hang tight. :) :thup:

I'm torn between MSI's variant + the HIS Ice Q version.

According to another review I read ( think it was Anandtech) the HIS Ice Q had the lowest load temps by far. But I see many satisfied MSI customers on a few sites.

I can't comment on the HIS version since i havent tested it, but I know this card is pretty sweet.

Wonder how well this card will run D3 in eyefinity. The 7950 is out of my price range.

I have two 1280x1024 and one 1920x1080 I would like to span d3 across.

Wonder how well this card will run D3 in eyefinity. The 7950 is out of my price range.

I have two 1280x1024 and one 1920x1080 I would like to span d3 across.

I do not believe you would be able to span across 3 displays with different resolutions in game. it will work fine for desktop, but AFAIK for gaming in eyefinity you need 3 monitors of the same resolution. although if it is possible, I am sure this card would be able to run it since the 1280x1024 of your two secondary monitors isn't very demanding. it would also depend on what detail level you want to run at.

I do not believe you would be able to span across 3 displays with different resolutions in game. it will work fine for desktop, but AFAIK for gaming in eyefinity you need 3 monitors of the same resolution. although if it is possible, I am sure this card would be able to run it since the 1280x1024 of your two secondary monitors isn't very demanding. it would also depend on what detail level you want to run at.

Thanks for the info, but I am pretty sure all 7xxx series use eyefinity 2.0 which allows eyefinity with different resolution monitors. Unfortunately I have yet to find any in depth reviews of people doing this with any of the 7xxx cards. I am really interested to see how games run with odd size monitors. ie: % of pixals in relation to fps.

Since the height of all my monitors are physically the same it would look/work well for eyefinity.

They do support Eyefinity 2.0 with Catalyst 12.2 drivers. Those drivers enable the ability to create custom resolutions. ;)

When overclocked the R7870 gets an impressive 188 FPS! While still below the 210 FPS of the GTX 580, 188 FPS is still very very playable
Sounds like a anti-joke...
(yes necromancer is fun).

Back