• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What SSD should i buy? What do i need to know B4 installing it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kreed

Registered
Well guys im looking a reliable SSD? is there such a thing?
and if so what should i get?
planning on putting two in to my bad boy? or is that a bad idea. should i have a reliable HDD instead? :cry:

im so confussed i will be building a computer for the first time. what should i expect?

SSD failure rates are really low, Intel and Crucial are the top two brands available right now. I personally like the 128gb Crucial M4, I would personally just get 1 SSD and then raid 1 two HDDs for storage. I believe the install procedures are different depending on what kind of OS you are using. For vista I just plugged it in and everything worked fine like any other drive.

Last edited:
Go with Crucial M4s. They are quick, reliable and inexpensive. Intel is over priced. The 256GB M4 is only $249 for crying out loud! But the 64GB is popular as an OS or caching drive and the 128GB is a solid in between choice.

hmm sorry for this but i dont want to post another thread. lol just a quick question.

if i wer to upgrade which one would be better an ssd or another 6850 ? just asking though which one will give me better performance ? specs on sig

Go with the SSD Vertex 4. It's most reliable atm, 5years waranty, it's the one I have myself. but it has a low read speed 200mb/s

SSD failure rates are really low, Intel and Crucial are the top two brands available right now. I personally like the 128gb Crucial M4, I would personally just get 1 SSD and then raid 1 two HDDs for storage. I believe the install procedures are different depending on what kind of OS you are using. For vista I just plugged it in and everything worked fine like any other drive.

your still on vista. Poor you :(

dVpc4.gif

hehe :p

anyhu yer you should have too many issues tbh. just make sure you switch your bios settings to ahci mode. It was weird though when i tried to install my mates OS on his SSD it would Blue screen every time ahci mode was on. Had to install the OS in IDE mode then switch to ahci when it was finished. Usually its fine though. ( we shall see when i reinstall my OS on my SSD which is arriving today :D )

Go with the SSD Vertex 4. It's most reliable atm, 5years waranty, it's the one I have myself. but it has a low read speed 200mb/s

Given OCZ's track record with SSDs both in terms of reliability and customer support, I'd feel hard pressed to recommend them. As Twiggz and Stevelord both said, Intel and Crucial are the drive makers of choice, since their reliability is well-proven.

Given OCZ's track record with SSDs both in terms of reliability and customer support, I'd feel hard pressed to recommend them. As Twiggz and Stevelord both said, Intel and Crucial are the drive makers of choice, since their reliability is well-proven.

corsair are another good option. Their force 3 120 gig is about the same price as the OCZ. Still pretty bad reliability. But tbh i wanted the most bang for my buck so went that route!

It entirely depends on how much you want to spend really you are gona have to fork out a fair amount more for a Intel/Crucial SSD which has similar read/write speeds to the OCZ agility and corsair force 3.

I'll have more info when i get mine and install my OS tonight :D

your still on vista. Poor you :(

dVpc4.gif

hehe :p

anyhu yer you should have too many issues tbh. just make sure you switch your bios settings to ahci mode. It was weird though when i tried to install my mates OS on his SSD it would Blue screen every time ahci mode was on. Had to install the OS in IDE mode then switch to ahci when it was finished. Usually its fine though. ( we shall see when i reinstall my OS on my SSD which is arriving today :D )

HAHA, yea, I never upgraded my rig so I never upgraded my OS.

SSD: 80GB Much Better Than 64GB?

You will regret getting a single 64GB drive about 4 hours after you install Windows on it. You gave us zero information to work with but I would say 80gb should be a minimum if you're gaming.
What makes 80GB significantly better than 64GB? That's only a 16GB difference.

Cosair, Samsung or Intel.... Samsung an Intel are the only ones fabricate the whole thing though.

What makes 80GB significantly better than 64GB? That's only a 16GB difference.

because with windows installed you'll only have about 45-50 gig left. 3 games and your already running low on space. I would say 120 is a minimum for a OS HDD. Even that is pushing it. You end up having to be incredibly selective in what programs you put on your SSD below 120 gig. And it seriously limits the games you can put on it, which is one of the main reasons for me at least, fast load up times!

because with windows installed you'll only have about 45-50 gig left. 3 games and your already running low on space. I would say 120 is a minimum for a OS HDD. Even that is pushing it. You end up having to be incredibly selective in what programs you put on your SSD below 120 gig. And it seriously limits the games you can put on it, which is one of the main reasons for me at least, fast load up times!

Agreed. I ran a 60 initially but ended up replacing that with my current 120GB. Its fine so long as I'm careful not to install too much on it and install games and apps to my secondary Velociraptor and data to my large capacity 5900rpm HDD.

I bought an 80 and ended up buying another one and running RAID0. I'm *still* making calls on what I can and can't keep on my drive, but the utility of storage space is not linear.

For example, a 64GB drive is way, way, way more useful than a 32GB drive but a 512GB is not twice as useful as a 256.

Back