• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Router available < $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I don't do a lot of wireless, but I want something that is going to last a long time and have plenty of port options and other stuff like that.

I have always been with D-Link (DIR-655) and its been fine...anything else noteworthy?

Stay under $100.

I don't do a lot of wireless, but I want something that is going to last a long time and have plenty of port options and other stuff like that.

I have always been with D-Link (DIR-655) and its been fine...anything else noteworthy?

Stay under $100.

dont think youll get much for $100 buddy

Stay under $100, what about "free"?

You probably have some old hardware lying around your house. Have you considered using, IMHO the world's best gateway software, pfSense?

Last edited:
Stay under $100, what about "free"?

You probably have some old hardware lying around your house. Have you considered using, IMHO the world's best gateway software, pfSense?
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Couple it with a switch and you can have as many ports as you want.

Considered routerboard, but after going through my parts box, I'd need a new motherboard which combined with the extra energy, space and noise use from a physical computer makes no sense.

Decided to go with the Asus N56u for $106 @ newegg. All the reviews seem to be about the best of most boards in that price range.

I have never been convinced that Pfsense, Smoothwall etc are worthwhile for home setups given the extra hardware, heat and power consumption required. I am running a DIR 615 with DD-WRT, a DIR 635 as an N only AP and a Gigabit switch, the total cost of which was under £20 (routers were second hand).

What would an Atom setup offer the home user for 4-5x the purchase cost and 10x the power draw? A better firewall would be nice, but other than that it seems like a whole load of VPN, QOS and redundancy features which I personally would never use.

I realise that just playing with gear can be fun, but I restrict this to non 24/7 home 'mission' critical machines.

EDIT: Waits for thideras to reply ;)

pfSense offers a superb QoS system, squid with squidguard (anti-ad, malware, fraud... etc), anti-virus system with clamav, RADIUS server, upnp server, and a lot of useful stuff.

Considered routerboard, but after going through my parts box, I'd need a new motherboard which combined with the extra energy, space and noise use from a physical computer makes no sense.

Decided to go with the Asus N56u for $106 @ newegg. All the reviews seem to be about the best of most boards in that price range.

They come in small preconfigured boxes too, I have a routerboard 450G with 256MB ram and 5 gigabit interfaces. Handles my 100mbit fiber connection without breaking a sweat.

Bought the same one about a month ago, i love it. No issues at all, and it handles everything i can throw at it.

Back