• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World of Tanks MMO, any one try it out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw this the day you posted it up and I decided to try out the game 3 or 4 days ago. So far I'm having a lot of fun playing it. I usually play arty (SPG) or a tank destroyer. The game is all team based, 15 v 15 tank battles. The goal is to either kill all enemy tanks or capture the enemy base. You were right about progressing through tanks. You start with a starter tank and as you gain experience you research (unlock) upgrades for you tank and new tanks. You have to follow the tech trees though; so you can go from a tier 4 SPG to a tier 5 medium tank.

I found the game a bit frustrating for the first tier tanks but once you start progressing up the tech trees the game becomes much better. Right now I have a tier 4 tank destroyer (hetzer) with all upgrades and a tier 3 SPG (Sturmpanzer II) with upgrades. I really enjoy these tanks and usually have no problem getting a kill or two as long as I play smart. Overall the game is a ton of fun, but the match making system could use some improvement. My hetzer (t4) enters matchmaking as a t4-6 or t7 tank so I could face an enemy team where everyone is a higher tier or I could end up being one of the highest tier tanks in the battle. It sucks when you are the lowest tier in a battle as its hard to damage enemies and its hard to survive more than a hit or two. Usually you end up being somewhere in the middle though.

It you're looking to play this game, I'd recommend checking out the official forums and reading up on some of the gameplay guides. They do a good job explaining the various components of the game along with strategy suggestions for different tank types.

Also, if you play the game, be sure to leave the battle after you die. Your tank will stay in the battle, it will be locked until the battle is over, and you will still get full xp and credits, but you will be able to enter another battle with a different tank. This basically eliminates all downtime waiting for battles to end.

It's free to play
http://play.worldoftanks.com/?sid=T...j-mAJuTFXycG1PUvVzbYXmMQqrQcVwlYlv-OtMZb3kenw

I've been playing since closed beta.
I think it's pretty cool.
It is basically a shooter game. In sniper mode, it is First Person shooter. Without sniper mode, it's third person. However, we only use third person in really close combat. Any battle over distance require precise aim with sniper mode. So I'd say for the most part, it is a multiplay First Person shooter game.

Yes, so far all the matches are 15 vs 15
Although they claim they will make it 30 vs 30 in the future and there will be clan wars.

Basically you start with crappy light tanks and work your way up. You kill enemies to get experience and money to level up and buy upgrades(modules such as new engine, new suspension, new turret, new gun, etc.), and you can upgrade to the next generation tank.

In my opinion, it is not really a MMO as they call it. It is just a multiplay pvp game. Because you don't have a persistent world. Every battle is just a new match like in Counter-strike or Battlefield. Although you keep what you gained(xp, money). On the bright side, there is no real grinding. The leveling up is actually fun.

In beta, I got
a Maus (German experimental super heavy tank),
a T-54(Russian first main battle tank),
Object 704 (Russian tank destroyer),
GW Panther (German artillery),
Jagdpanther (German tank destroyer).

After release, I got my Object 704 back in just 1 week. :)
Now I also got a Tiger II (going Maus again).
And a T-43(getting my T-54 back).
KV ( going Russian heavy tank).

The good thing about this game is that it's free. Of course they will try to sell you "gold" which is used to buy premium account. Premium account gives you x1.5 experience and money per battle, it helps to level up faster. But otherwise, the gameplay is the same whether you pay or not.

Ooohh, I have to give this a try. I love watching the Worlds Greatet Tank Battles on the Military Channel.

Back